Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-09-2015, 02:32 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Beer is not gluten free

Therefore I will never be gluten free

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2015, 03:04 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

retire2013, I can read just about anything......I had a hard time getting through this book. I read and have the book because a friend was trying the diet and needed coaching. Did you get your lab tests done as recommended before you started the diet? Will you have the tests again to see your results as recommended. Did you do the one day fast before starting the diet? I can't even imagine drinking all the purified water, half your body weight in ounces. The example is if you weight 150 pounds you should drink 75 ounces purified water. And rice is okay in moderation but only a couple of times a week. I did not want to discourage my friend but sounds like just another "amazing diet". She had the lab tests done before and after and there wasn't much difference.
I'm all for helping yourself getting healthy but for the most part if you eat a sensible diet and exercise you're doing the best you can.
ArkTinker, Are you referring to wild yeast starters? I have a couple of wild starters. I make mine from whole milk and different kinds of flour but you can use water if you have a dairy problem. Never mind, I just re-read your post and you're using yeast to make your starter.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:21 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Let me know if the is the correct NPR audio: The ‘Gluten-Free’ Boom | On Point with Tom Ashbrook

Here is a good book on the same subject matter: http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Health.../dp/1451699158
Old 02-09-2015, 03:59 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

As with other Amazing Miracle Dietary Discoveries, this will produce much bound paper in interesting formats, which our library will accumulate for its monthly used book sales, probably in the Science Fiction and Fantasy section.

I eagerly await the release of the results of the large scale double blind test backing these amazing claims.

Meanwhile I think I'll just follow a sensible diet with maybe half the calories from carbs, and the rest from proteins and fats, and keep the sodium intake at a sane level (below the recommendations of the Pretzel Manufacturers Association, perhaps).

Maybe I'll worry about Gluten Free Ebola, too.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:08 PM   #25

Consumer Reports had an article on gluten a month or two ago. I think I'll go with their report. There may be some confirmation bias of course.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:23 PM   #26

I too buy gluten to add to our home made bread; you cannot buy bread that tastes as good as what comes out of our bread machine. Never enjoyed all that hand kneading. Gets done, cools off, and most of it gets frozen. I like that it gets stale in a day if you don't; must be a lot of preservatives in the store bought to keep it fresh so darn long!

Absolutely love home made pasta (OMG: wheat and EGGS!). Are cooking more and more and avoiding the prepared foods. Enjoy spending time (OK, and money) on new recipes.

We probably have increased our carbs. However we both do a fair amount of exercise, feel great, and as long as we feel good, don't gain weight (I get close to overweight bmi, she doesn't) and our lab numbers are fine (they are) then we'll continue to eat what we enjoy and ignore all the latest booksellers. Now everything is gluten free; remember the fat free fad? I know some swear by certain exclusions/diets, and if that works for their metabolism fine. But I'll continue to enjoy the whole spectrum of foods, and adult beverages in a fairly moderate amount. If anyone comes up with an organ meat free diet I might sign on.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:28 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I replaced broccoli with cupcakes in my diet recently, and I'm happy to report my cognitive abilities have improved slightly. Next I'm going to replace zucchini with pizza.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:30 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
It's supposedly a Baker's secret that the longer the rise, the better the bread. According to Cook's, the slower the rise, the less negative flavor products are produced by the yeast. So, letting the bread rise overnight in the fridge or a cold area of the house/garage/porch probably makes sense if one has time.

The other trick is to hand knead or not use the Kitchen Aid for more than a few minutes. Apparently, these new fangled machines over knead the dough.

I have no idea of either of the above affects the glutton or other health qualities of the bread. Human nutrition is full of pseudo-science, so be careful of anything your read or hear.

The refrigerator doughs are usually quite wet and just mixed--not kneaded. We have a bread machine and were very happy with the breads produced. Using the dough cycle and doing everything manually after that alway seemed to do the best loafs for us. For the refrigerator/no knead doughs, after removal from the fridge we let ours go thru an extra rise time compared to most recipes. We are grinding our own flour and the extra time seems to soften the grains compared to most commercial loafs that often taste and feel like sawdust.

I agree with your statement about the science of nutrition. While there is a lot of hokum out there, even the "real" science keeps changing. I think that the only difference between many of the branches of science is the degree to which things change. Health and nutrition do seem to be the most variable IMO.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:34 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

GRAIN BRAIN - slowing/preventing Alzheimer by eliminating grains? Perlmutter...

Everybody has to do what works for them. The idea that one food, diet, supplement, exercise regime or whatever is right for everybody is ridiculous.

Gosh Darn I! It worked for me so it must work for you! If it doesn't, then either you are a liar, or too stupid to do it right, or you are defective in some way. 🙀. Really? What nonsense!
Old 02-09-2015, 04:48 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Celiac sufferers must avoid gluten. Some others may be sensitive to it. But...the link to AD is just too facile for me. Suspect the terror of Alzheimer's is an irresistible lure to charlatans and well-meaning "scientists" alike. I have a friend who's otherwise sensible, but has gone mad for adding coconut oil to everything she eats (the last thing she needs, since she is very overweight) as an AD "preventive."

Amethyst
Old 02-09-2015, 05:18 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Everybody has to do what works for them. The idea that one food, diet, supplement, exercise regime or whatever is right for everybody is ridiculous.

Gosh Darn I! It worked for me so it must work for you! If it doesn't, then either you are a liar, or too stupid to do it right, or you are defective in some way. 🙀. Really? What nonsense!
Roger Williams referred to some of these ideas as Biochemical Individuality:

Biochemical Individuality: Roger Williams: 9780879838935: Amazon.com: Books

I think Leonardo da Vinci most likely ate wheat, given the typical diet of the times, and his brain didn't seem to suffer for it.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:24 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I cut grains from my diet about 3 months ago and I feel so much better. I had already been gluten free for 4 years but eliminating all grains has really helped with energy, decreased fatigue, memory and weight loss.

I wish I could eat anything but I have numerous food sensitives with gluten and dairy being the strongest.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:09 PM   #33

Leonardo da Vinci only lived to age 67, and was one person.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:50 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Leonardo da Vinci only lived to age 67, and was one person.
A few more examples here?

Italian Renaissance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wasn't 67 a considered a ripe old age for the 1500s? This article puts the average life span during the Renaissance at 40:

http://www.schools.manatee.k12.fl.us...enaissance.pdf
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:17 AM   #35

DW was diagnosed celiac in 1982, she has been gluten free since then.

She was forced to give up her beloved beer and became a wine drinker.
Fast forward to 2008, DS moved to big micro-brewery area and found a way to brew excellent beer of all varieties, gluten free. I have been brewing since and DW is thankful. The same equipment is used in making wine. It is the best of both worlds.

Although DW's choice of grains have been limited since 1982; but I don't think her cognitive skills have changed. That is, if this grain eater's cognitive skills haven't been diminished, and I don't recognize it.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:10 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire2013 View Post
Dear All,

A couple of months ago I listened to an interview on NPR (National Public Radio) where Dr. Perlmutter, a neurologist, spoke about halting/preventing cognitive decline by eliminating grains, especially gluten-containing varieties, from our diet.
Is this the interview?

The ‘Gluten-Free’ Boom | On Point with Tom Ashbrook
Old 02-11-2015, 03:23 PM   #37
Dryer sheet aficionado

An article from NPR discussed a study that included self-diagnosed gluten intolerants. Many were actually fructan (a carb found in wheat) intolerant.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-11-2015, 05:16 PM   #38

GRAIN BRAIN - slowing/preventing Alzheimer by eliminating grains? Perlmutter...

I was diagnosed with celiac early last year. My doctor was concerned with some readings in my blood work over the past 2 years and thought it might be liver related. Had an MRI done on my liver and more blood work done. Liver was fine, but blood work showed I was off the charts for celiac. I've adjusted my diet as needed. My 24/7 dull headache disappeared, eczema cleared up and my brain fog lifted. I also sleep better. I thought all those things were just a sign of aging. The hardest thing to give up was microbrews and good pizza.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-11-2015, 05:27 PM   #39

Just anecdotal: I am experimenting with a very low carb diet (high fat/mid protein) and found it gives me a very big energy boost.

It does give issues with doing sports though I found so I tend to eat some carbs a few hours before doing high intensity exercise. Your muscles really like the glycogen
Old 02-11-2015, 08:43 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Just anecdotal: I am experimenting with a very low carb diet (high fat/mid protein) and found it gives me a very big energy boost.

It does give issues with doing sports though I found so I tend to eat some carbs a few hours before doing high intensity exercise. Your muscles really like the glycogen

This has been my experience as well. If I get extra exercise, I can feel really wiped out if I don't eat enough carbs. For example, yesterday was a super active day and I was exhausted last night and this morning until I ate complex carbs. Within a few hours, I was feeling great again.