Join Early Retirement Today

Grandson Devastated
Old 08-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Grandson Devastated

I posted a while back that my grandson was probably going into the military. Back then a lot of responses were that this is a bad time to try to go in as it seems like everyone is going to apply due to unemployment and all the high school and college grads hitting the recruiting offices. Now comes my 25 year old grandson that decided he wanted the military. Not only military but the Marines. His father, my SIL was a Marine for 23 years before disability did him in. My son was also a Marine.

Grandson talked to the recruiter, took the tests and aced them all. They wanted him badly buy not enough to overlook his tats. Big a**ed eagle across his chest. They turned him down today. He's devastated.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wow, that is startling to hear. I had no idea that they would turn someone down for the tattoos. Sobering to think of a decision he made to get the tat cost him the job he wanted so dearly. Any chance he could get it removed?

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Tats can ruin a career in all types of industries. Sad some kids don't realize this until they are all inked up...
Old 08-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #4

That was news to me that they wouldn't take someone because of tattoos.

here is the official Marines policy regarding tattoos...

Corps clears up tattoo policy

I didn't see anything about big eagle tattoos but I did see this:

Quote:
Any tattoos that are racist, sexist, drug-related, vulgar, anti-American or are associated with any extremist group or gang are already not permitted on Marines.
They do have rules about excessive tattoos that are visable on the arms etc.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:09 PM   #5

I'm sorry to hear that and extremely surprised that tatoos would be the reason. Not saying I don't believe the reason....just that it is surprising to me. Most of the servicemen and, I might add, women I see have them. All the Navy Seals I've come in contact with do as well...even those trying out for "the special forces". I live close to coast in Virginia so there is a large military military and defense contingency here.
So sorry...hoping he gets a better explanation than that. Am wondering if the expected defense cuts are having an affect on those selected for enlistment?

p.s. Thanks for the official wording MathBlaster. I didn't know this...
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Discovery Health "How Tattoo Removal Works"

It is estimated that 50 percent of those who get tattoos later regret them.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Tats can ruin a career in all types of industries. Sad some kids don't realize this until they are all inked up...
This woman wanted to work at Hooters: (Warning, you do not want to click this link. There is nudity, and you will not be able to get the image out of you head once you click on it. Trust me on this. Link).
Old 08-02-2011, 04:31 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Discovery Health "How Tattoo Removal Works"

It is estimated that 50 percent of those who get tattoos later regret them.
From the article:

Quote:
So you didn't believe your Mom when she said you'd regret getting that tattoo -- the multicolored, fire-breathing dragon that starts at the small of your back, reaches up to your shoulder blades and wraps its orange flames around your biceps. Now, a mere seven years later, you have a shot at a terrific job in banking, still one of the more conservative businesses around, and you are concerned that your symbol of youthful self-expression could create problems in your new career.
I know a young lady in her late 20's who has a couple of tats, one on her shoulder above her collar bone and one on the side of her calf. She works in banking where any visible tat is unacceptable. She dresses very carefully to hide them from view, is constantly worried someone in authority will find her out, and is trying to scrape together enough cash to have them removed.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:35 PM   #9

Quote:
This woman wanted to work at Hooters: (Warning, you do not want to click this link. There is nudity, and you will not be able to get the image out of you head once you click on it. Trust me on this. Link).

MY EYES!!!!!

I'll never doubt you again....

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:35 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Depends on the environment. One of the sharper managers had a pattern around her navel (she wore midriff shirts to work). However, it didn't hurt her promotion wise and she is now a VP. It depends on the environment.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I could see why a naked lady or skull tattoo would turn off the Marine recruiters...but an eagle? You'd think they'd cheer just to see it!

I don't have anything against tattoos, piercings, or indeed any form of self-expression that doesn't hurt me personally...but I must admit it startled me to overhear one naked, heavyset, middle-aged woman in the gym locker room, exclaim to another naked, heavyset, middle-aged woman, "Wow, that tattoo is really pretty!" And they proceeded to have quite a cheery conversation about the pretty tattoo. It just isn't something I was raised to expect .

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:44 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

The few, the proud, the flaccid.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Everyone knows someone with a tattoo can't shoot straight.
glippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:31 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe another branch of the services would be less restrictive?
Old 08-02-2011, 07:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Maybe another branch of the services would be less restrictive?
This is true, like maybe the Navy of which the Marines are an attachment.
However, he doesn't want this but may relent. I think the rejection took a lot of wind out of his sails. You know, "I'm 21, I can do whatever I want, I'm old enough to make my own decisions, I'm invinsible, nobody can hurt me, I think I'll have a beer, just try to stop me, and if you try I'll get my ears pierced too." That''s the way he was a few years ago and it's come back to haunt him. He actually did have his ears pierced and just had surgery to get the holes to close up. DW and I were hating all this crap for years.

It was all part of the "little man" syndrom and his parents babying him all along. I think they are all sorry now. Grandson is now 6'3" and 225 lbs.
Does martial arts and goes to tournaments. I think he figured he would gain some recognition and pride in himself by enlisting in the Marines, go to Parris Island and kick some a**. Well, we will have to wait for the next step in the process. Will he continue to try for the military?

Thanks for all the posts. Sure is interesting reading and very enlightening.
Especially the info from the Marines side of things. By the way, this tat is way too big to have removed. Starts under his right arm, down about 12", up and over hiis chest to the top of his left arm. Enough said about all that.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Curiosity got the better of me. OMG!!!!!
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehs1 View Post
Curiosity got the better of me. OMG!!!!!
Yeah Al, it got my curiosity peaked. AAAAAGGGGGHHHH!!!
Old 08-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

My brother has to wear long sleeves all the time at work due to his tattoos. At least they are not on his neck/hands/head! He does have them on his calves, but long pants are a requirement anyway. He is a copier repairman and there are times when it's hot or it would make life so much easier to roll up his sleeves or wear a short sleeve shirt, but he isn't allowed.

I suspect the military has a lot of candidates applying right now and they can afford to be picky. I bet with a booming economy and no terrorists to kill he might get a different answer.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:03 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I was in the Marines in the 1960's, most young Marines got their tattoos when they went into town and got drunk. In town (anywhere in the world) there were always plenty of camp followers eager to separate young Marine from their money by any means, legal or illegal.

When the young Marines got back to base most regretted their new tattoos the next day as they recovered from their hangovers.

It was extremely rare for the Navy medical system to agree to remove young Marines' tattoos. The tattoos had to be exceedingly obscene and the young Marine would be subject to non-judicial punishment.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
All right, is this like the sign above the hole in the wall that says "do not look in this hole"?. You advise not clicking the link yet you bold it? What's the trick here?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote