Join Early Retirement Today

Great deal on running shoes
Old 02-27-2015, 09:23 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Great deal on running shoes

Sierra Trading Post has an extra 30% off sale going on right now (I believe it is for US customers only). I just picked up 2 pair of Asics that normally sell for $115 each and paid ~$61 per pair plus $13 for shipping. The shoes arrived within 5 business days and included a merchandise return label incase I wasn't happy with the order. I am quite pleased.

Men's Running Shoes or Women's Running Shoes

Look for the blue header with a keycode (mine says SITEMAD215) for the additional 30% off.

Edited to add: The 30% off is for orders over $100.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2015, 09:43 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No women's extra-wide sizes; pity. And the men's wide and extra-wide sizes are all too long for me (I'd wear a men's size 6 if I could get it).

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:31 AM   #3

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately they had a very poor selection in my size also. But a great deal. I love Sierra Trading but often forget to check their website when I'm shopping so thanks for the reminder.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:03 AM   #4

Check out 6pm.com for running shoes. They have a much better selection (men and woman) and usually a great price with free shipping. I stock up during the post Thanksgiving deal season.

Here is a filtered link for womans Asics -
Women's Discount Shoes | Shipped Free at 6pm.com
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:45 AM   #5

A good deal is always welcome, and I don't want to throw cold water on this, but ...

Most running shoes today are pretty high tech, believe it or not. And unfortunately they start to deteriorate (especially the midsole material) at about the time they leave the factory, regardless of whether they are actually worn or not. A typical lifetime for optimum performance is about a year (after they leave the factory, not after you start wearing them).

For many people, this isn't a problem, and they can safely ignore this advice. But most of us lose the padding in the soles of our feet as we get older, so the need for good cushioning and support in running shoes becomes fairly critical.

I used to buy two pairs whenever I could get a good price, but no more. I began noticing that my second pair, which had merely sat in the closet for six months to a year, were marginal and nowhere near the improvement over my worn out shoes. I typically go through two pairs a year, and I now buy them only when the deterioration in my current pair gets to be noticeable.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:03 PM   #6

Braumeister, maybe that explains why one of my current pair of running shoes seems to be going bad ahead of schedule. I track my shoe mileage and usually get 600-700 miles on this model but they are starting to hurt me after only 250 miles. This is a pair that sat in a box for more than half a year before I put them into rotation.

Either that or my legs hurt because I've been lazy and I'm aging. Nah, I'll go with your theory.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:26 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I need to replace my shoes oftener than 2x a year, partly because of scoliosis (greater stress on one foot). Cushioning and support are very important to my entire frame. Having to replace shoes so often makes me very grateful for deals, also...and the extra-wide sizes rarely go on sale.

Amethyst
Old 02-27-2015, 12:28 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Thank you! I have that exact same pair (yes, they only showed one pair in my size) which I bought on sale over the holidays. I may have bought it direct from the Asics web site (via befrugal.com, of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
C
Amethyst
Old 02-27-2015, 03:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
Check out 6pm.com for running shoes. They have a much better selection (men and woman) and usually a great price with free shipping. I stock up during the post Thanksgiving deal season.

Yes, I've used this site recently too. I bought my Brooks gortex running shoes from 6pm and was very happy with their service too.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:54 PM   #10

braumeister makes a good point about aging shoes. I have only had a problem with this once that the shoe fatigued before the sole wore out, but it did happen and looked in great shape but was probably 3-5 years old. I mostly buy my shoes at Big5, they have last years top shoes on sale for half or more off and it has worked for me.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Most running shoes today are pretty high tech, believe it or not. And unfortunately they start to deteriorate (especially the midsole material) at about the time they leave the factory, regardless of whether they are actually worn or not. A typical lifetime for optimum performance is about a year (after they leave the factory, not after you start wearing them).
I have not experienced the problem of a second pair of shoes losing cushioning after sitting in a box for a year or more. Is it possible your other pair of shoes were defective from the get go?

I bought a pair of Brooks running shoes that fit me perfectly. They were nice and wide and my feet were happy even on a five day backpacking trip. I bought two more pair of them only to find that the exact same labeled size were quite a bit narrower and they didn't have the same feel. The explanation I was given was that they were probably manufactured at different plants.

This article says the newer EVA has a longer shelf life:

Ask the Coaches: Shoe Deterioration | Running Times

Quote:
My experience has been that today's performance running shoes deteriorate more slowly than what we considered to be performance shoes as recently as a dozen years ago. While most mid-sole cushioning devices (Nike Air, Asics Gel, Brooks Hydroflow, Saucony GRID, etc) are extremely durable, the EVA foams that encapsulate them are another story. Low grade EVA foams dry up and become hard over time. Most good shoes today, however, (those that sell for $80 or more) contain high grade foams in their mid-soles that will store well in a cool, dry environment and show little or no deterioration over a couple of years. They will, however, deteriorate with age, just like any other product made of foams and textiles. Runners often buy three or four pairs of a favorite shoe near the end of its shelf life and run comfortably in them over the next couple of years.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:46 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Sierra Trading Post has an extra 30% off sale going on right now (I believe it is for US customers only). I just picked up 2 pair of Asics that normally sell for $115 each and paid ~$61 per pair plus $13 for shipping. The shoes arrived within 5 business days and included a merchandise return label incase I wasn't happy with the order. I am quite pleased.

Look for the blue header with a keycode (mine says SITEMAD215) for the additional 30% off.

Thank you! Just ordered two pair of my favorite running shoe just before next year's model comes out. Reduced price plus 30% off saved me about $80 off what I normally pay for 2 pair.
aim-high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post

Update - use key code KCJ06732 at checkout for a 35% discount (site wide, not just shoes) and free shipping on $100+ orders.

Sierra Trading Post - Love the Deals. Live the Adventure.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:01 PM   #14

^^
In order to justify that aging pile of discounted running shoes, I recommend drastically increasing the miles, augmented with a little cannabis hill helper on the long days. Its the latest thing.
As a side benefit, you can up the carbs and ditch that nasty Ambien habit.

The Debate Over Running While High - WSJ
Old 03-02-2015, 06:00 PM   #15

Just imagine the calories one would consume after a long run + with the munchies.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:14 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I just ordered a pair of last year's model of Brooks Adrenaline running shoe from Running Warehouse for 35% off. 6pm had the same shoe for $4 less, but their bad online reviews scared me off, and they don't offer free returns.

Sent from my EVO using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Dreaming of Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:08 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

RunningWarehouse is my go-to place for running shoes and accessories. If you like them on FB you can get an extra 15% on sales, or you could get the same 10-15% always if you belong to one of the clubs that has a discount deal with them. Also, in December they sell gift cards at 80%. So I get 20% off with the gift card, another 15% off with my club discount, plus I usually look for sale or closeout prices. Even their regular price is often than most. I feel a bit bad for not shopping local especially since the new store in a nearby town is owned by friends of mine, and I will try a new shoe the first time with them, but once I have one I like I just order online and 2 days later it comes to my door with free shipping. Sometimes Sierra Trading Post or a few other sites like that are cheaper but they often don't have my shoe or size on special.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:21 AM   #18

Buyers remorse, I know thee -
Today only, use key code GHA88365 for 40% off and free shipping on $100+ orders at Sierra Trading Post.