Join Early Retirement Today

Gum Pain?
Old 09-24-2009, 05:16 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Gum Pain?

Does anyone have a gum pain. I am getting a seething needle pain underneath my right tooth when I drink cold or hot water. Does anyone know what is causing it? I don't have Dental Insurance & I don't want to pay too much money.
Thanks.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsingh6675 View Post
Does anyone have a gum pain. I am getting a seething needle pain underneath my right tooth when I drink cold or hot water. Does anyone know what is causing it? I don't have Dental Insurance & I don't want to pay too much money.
Thanks.
Insurance or no, I would see your dentist. I have never had dental insurance, but I sure go the dentist anyway. Few things destroy your appearance more than losing teeth. and talk about expense- check out what bridges and implants cost.

Paying a bill to get whatever you may need now (if anything) will be the cheapest dental bill you will pay. If you really have no money, and are not just excessively frugal, go to a dental school.

Always save your teeth.

Ha

Old 09-24-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I look at going to the dentist regularly as one of the best investments I make. Alternately, I could have them all pulled cheaply but as HaHa suggests that isn't very attractive, it also isn't very functional. Gum pain really should be looked at by a professional. I wouldn't delay it.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:08 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

OP

Could be stress, are you clenching your teeth at night, teeth grinding?

You might need a "mouth card",

Or, it could be a "inflamed root", you might need a root canal. My dentist always ask about, hot or cold sensitivity.

It will cost money, but you need to see a dentistl. Make installments. Ask friends for a good referal.

Good Luck.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:41 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

While I am not a dentist, I predict a root canal in your near future. Don't mean to be flip about it, but your symptoms sound like an endodontic problem.

You can take care of it in an orderly manner now, or you can wait until you get excruciating pain at the worst possible time down the road.

The bad new is that root canals are expensive.
The good news is that they are much faster and less uncomfortable than they were decades ago.

Hope I'm wrong. Either way, get thee to a dentist -- we have a few on the board, and maybe they'll offer real advice.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:00 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Could be a "recession". Along with the national economy, apparently my mouth is experiencing a recession as well right now. Or so says the dentist from my checkup 2 days ago.

The gum recedes from the tooth and leaves the root exposed. The root has no enamel, so the nerves are directly exposed to contact. My dentist says cold and contact with metal typically causes the most sensitivity. I could feel them poking it with the metal instrument while they were scaling the teeth clean. Apparently it doesn't cause medical issues or further dental issues, it just causes pain and/or sensitivity. Dentist recommended sensodyne toothpaste and said the recession is unlikely to grow back to cover the root.

Or it could that you need a root canal. It's probably worth checking out now when you can control the timing and to a certain extent cost (by shopping around) versus waiting till it rots and gets infected and you have some serious medical issues or a slight case of the death.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:07 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Please go to the dentist. You do NOT want to take a chance and possibly develop an abscess.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:49 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Everyone

Thanks everyone,
I will make dental appointment today.
Raj Singh
Old 09-25-2009, 06:49 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

My DW works for a dentist and I can tell you now that you need to go see one... it could be as simple as a cavity below the gum line to as has been suggested a root canal... can tell you one thing that keeping your mouth healthy is directly proportional to keeping you body healthy.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:57 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

The only way to know what the problem is is to go see a dentist and have an x-ray of the tooth. Most dentists will see you on an emergency basis the same day if nec. As was stated prev. if you live near a dental school you can be seen there as well. Good luck and do not wait. It will only get worse.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:44 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a dentist-

temp sensitivity can be caused by a whole bunch of different things, so you really need to see a dentist.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:58 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had such pain. The tooth was cracked and was ground down with a cap put on. I had insurance at the time. Even if it happened now I would go to a dentist and get it taken care of!
Old 09-25-2009, 08:41 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

now i know why his name is novaman... go see a dentist.. and report back!
Old 09-25-2009, 11:49 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

DW had gum pain recently. The dentist gave her a prescription for penicillin, and said "If the pain doesn't go away, you'll need a root canal." It went away (yeah!).
Old 09-26-2009, 12:53 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Could be a "recession". Along with the national economy, apparently my mouth is experiencing a recession as well right now. Or so says the dentist from my checkup 2 days ago.

The gum recedes from the tooth and leaves the root exposed. The root has no enamel, so the nerves are directly exposed to contact. My dentist says cold and contact with metal typically causes the most sensitivity. I could feel them poking it with the metal instrument while they were scaling the teeth clean. Apparently it doesn't cause medical issues or further dental issues, it just causes pain and/or sensitivity. Dentist recommended sensodyne toothpaste and said the recession is unlikely to grow back to cover the root.
Fuego--you should see a periodontist. They can do a tissue graft that will cover the exposed area, as well as a "deep clean" that scales under the gum line. I had this done on one upper canine tooth several months ago and it worked GREAT.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:59 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

There was one doctor that did the tissue grafts using material from the patient's derriere. But later, this technique came back to bite him in the ass.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:41 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Fuego & everybody - a friend with gum troubles sees her dentist 3 times a year - she was VERY happy with the new laser gum/tooth zapping. Said it was amazingly better and less painful than the 'go in by hand and clean out the under-the-gumline crud."

ta,
mew
Old 09-29-2009, 06:08 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

OP:

Just curious, after you see the dentist. Can you let us know what you had?

My guess, "root canal" ?
Old 09-29-2009, 06:24 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
OP:

Just curious, after you see the dentist. Can you let us know what you had?

My guess, "root canal" ?
OK. My guess is periodontal problem as in receding gums. RSingh has to let us know the diagnosis.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:15 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

DW's pain is back. Time to get a second opinion.