Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What Is Your H1N1 Infection/Vaccine Status?
I've already had the disease. 7 9.33%
I've had the vaccine 9 12.00%
I want the vaccine, but haven't yet been able to get it. 33 44.00%
I don't want the vaccine. 26 34.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2009, 08:09 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I got the vaccine on October 26th. (I'm a healthcare worker). IMHO it's not just to protect me, it's to protect my patients. And my colleagues.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2009, 10:16 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I am a healthy middle-aged male, so I am at the back of the line, but I will take the shot when available. Meantime, I am taking 6,000 units (I upped it) vitamin D3 every day. It is said to prevent flu. Maybe it does. Two of us at work had a head cold at the same time last week. We think we got it from the same source. It was only an annoyance for me, but the other guy had a high fever and was in worse shape.

Oh, yeah. Got the seasonal flu shot about a month ago or more.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:29 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here's a cool H1N1 map. It could help some decide if it's worth getting the vaccine or not based on how many confirmed cases there have been in the area you live. I've cross referenced Estonia to find that the map is accurate for here.

FluTracker - H1N1 Swine Flu and Influenza Outbreak Tracking from Rhiza Labs

We don't plan to get the vaccine since Tallinn, a city of some 400,000 has only had 1 non-fatal case of H1N1 and that was back in May. It wouldn't make any sense in my mind to get it with that kind of odds. Can't say I know if it's even available at the moment anyway.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:47 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

DW and I are not eligible since we are not high risk. We have secured two shots for our kids tomorrow morning since they are in the high risk group. That is who we were most concerned about anyway since they are little disease vectors and they associate with other little disease vectors more than DW and I.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:18 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
I am a healthy middle-aged male.....I am taking 6,000 units (I upped it) vitamin D3 every day.
Just so you know, side effects of too much Vitamin D include a high serum calcium, high blood pressure, kidney stones and heart arrhythimas. The NIH advises that the tolerable upper limit of Vitamin D for men is 2000 units per day. Sustained intake of 2500 units per day are reported to cause toxicity.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:20 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Sustained intake of 2500 units per day are reported to cause toxicity.
Ah... That would explain some of Ed's posts.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:21 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Just so you know, side effects of too much Vitamin D include a high serum calcium, high blood pressure, kidney stones and heart arrhythimas. The NIH advises that the tolerable upper limit of Vitamin D for men is 2000 units per day. Sustained intake of 2500 units per day are reported to cause toxicity.
Do you by any chance have a reference to that study?

Ha
Old 11-16-2009, 10:31 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Do you by any chance have a reference to that study?

Ha
Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet: Vitamin D

However, it's controversial!
Old 11-16-2009, 11:48 AM   #29

I've had both the seasonal flu shot and the H1N1 vaccine since I'm in a high-risk category (pregnant).
Old 11-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
...We don't plan to get the vaccine since Tallinn, a city of some 400,000 has only had 1 non-fatal case of H1N1 and that was back in May. It wouldn't make any sense in my mind to get it with that kind of odds. Can't say I know if it's even available at the moment anyway.
Very cool map.
Just out of curiousity, do you ever buy lottery tickets?
Old 11-16-2009, 04:02 PM   #31

I've never ever gotten a flu shot as I have heard too many stories of folks getting the flu after getting the shot....and, yes, probably a stupid decision considering what happened to Moemg.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:07 PM   #32

I got the seasonal vaccine, ten days later I came down with (presumably) swine flu. I would have gotten the swine flu vaccine if available. It's still only for children and high-risk people here in Alaska. Our state got hit hard early.
Luckily my DH must have had residual immunity - he did not get sick despite staying in our tiny house taking care of me. I tried to not expose him, but uncontrollable coughing, sneezing and dripping made it difficult. I know, TMI.
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:10 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrugalformycat View Post
Luckily my DH must have had residual immunity - he did not get sick despite staying in our tiny house taking care of me. I tried to not expose him, but uncontrollable coughing, sneezing and dripping made it difficult. I know, TMI.
No, this is useful information. I am glad you have recovered.

Ha
Old 11-16-2009, 04:15 PM   #34

Orchidflower,
I had a flight surgeon tell me one time 'People die from the flu, they don't die from a flu shot!'. Now I doubt that is 100% true, but it is close enough for me. He also said that most people that get sick after a flu shot don't have the flu. He also said that if you ever get the flu you will know the difference. I got it in 1978. I have taken a flu shot ever since. Every part of my body hurt! As the say my hair hurts! I spent three days in a totally dark room because the light hurt. In fact it was two days until I felt well enough to go see the doc. I may get the flu again sometime, but I sure don't want to be laying there wishing I could have prevented it by getting a shot.

Like everything else it is a personal decision.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:29 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Ha, did they say ahead of time that they were vaccinating anyone, regardless of risk group?
They did not. I just went out on spec.

ha
Old 11-17-2009, 01:32 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrugalformycat View Post
.... uncontrollable coughing, sneezing and dripping made it difficult....
Seems like many people here had that. I also got those symptoms about ten days after getting the regular flu shot. Since I didn't have a fever with it, I assumed it was not swine flu. It takes a long time to get over the coughing part of it but I'm almost there. I'd love to think that was it, and don't have to get the swine flu shot. My SO had a milder shorter version of it, didn't get the seasonal vaccine. Last I checked my HMO doctor will contact me if she thinks I should get the swine flu vaccine, if it is available.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:12 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Just returned from the doc's office. 2 kids are now immunized vs. the H1N1 (although they need boosters in 1 month to make them close to 100% immune). The nurse said to call back next week and they may have doses for DW and I.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:16 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Seems like many people here had that. I also got those symptoms about ten days after getting the regular flu shot. Since I didn't have a fever with it, I assumed it was not swine flu. It takes a long time to get over the coughing part of it but I'm almost there. I'd love to think that was it, and don't have to get the swine flu shot. My SO had a milder shorter version of it, didn't get the seasonal vaccine. Last I checked my HMO doctor will contact me if she thinks I should get the swine flu vaccine, if it is available.
I have no medical training.
CDC H1N1 Flu | Interim Guidance for Clinicians on Identifying and Caring for Patients with Swine-origin Influenza A (H1N1) Virus Infection
"Patients with uncomplicated disease due to confirmed novel influenza A (H1N1) virus infection have experienced fever, chills, headache, upper respiratory tract symptoms (cough, sore throat, rhinorrhea, shortness of breath), myalgias, arthralgias, fatigue, vomiting, or diarrhea. In New York City, 95% of patients with novel influenza A (H1N1) met the case definition for influenza-like illness (subjective fever plus cough and/or sore throat)"

I can't find the flyer I picked up at the health fair when I got my regular flu shot - it listed eight symptoms and if you had six of them (or maybe it was six and four) you probably had swine flu. From what I understand, not everyone gets a fever. I had fever of 100.4 (what the flyer listed as a symptom), chills, cough, sneeze, fatigue, weakness and nausea, and was very achy. YMMV. What convinced me I was really really sick was that I had no appetite - none. The ONLY other time that has happened to me was after major surgery!
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
the H1N1 experience (Irish style):
Old 11-17-2009, 06:07 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

the H1N1 experience (Irish style):

Dear diary, I've got swine flu - The Irish Times - Tue, Nov 17, 2009
Old 11-17-2009, 06:10 PM   #40
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Got the seasonal flu shot in October at local Kroger (used to get free when w*rked for USAF). At bottom of list for H1N1.
I might have partial immunity as I had flu in '57 & '68 and had swine flu shot in '76.
Will get H1N1 shot if becomes available.