Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What Is Your H1N1 Infection/Vaccine Status?
I've already had the disease. 7 9.33%
I've had the vaccine 9 12.00%
I want the vaccine, but haven't yet been able to get it. 33 44.00%
I don't want the vaccine. 26 34.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2009, 11:38 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
No. She may try elsewhere like the free clinics or an urgent care place.

I was just wondering as you said (I think it was you) in another thread you were going to give the doctors office an ultimatum today, give your wife the shot too or you'll take your business elsewhere. Just wondering how that played out.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2009, 12:20 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
I was just wondering as you said (I think it was you) in another thread you were going to give the doctors office an ultimatum today, give your wife the shot too or you'll take your business elsewhere. Just wondering how that played out.
Anti-climatically. Wife doesn't really care that much. No ultimatum given. It is kind of hard with the bifurcated system in most medical offices. The front desk receptionist staff/schedulers don't know much medically. The nurses don't deal with billing nor do they have authority to make exceptions to corporate policy. The dr's are difficult to get to talk to unless you don't mind waiting for a while. The billing dept doesn't know anything medically related.

But I do like the dr's as they seem very knowledgeable, they have a nice comfortable office, and it is very conveniently located to home, work and daycare. Devil you do know is better than the devil you don't know sort of thing. Looking back on the last 5-6 years we have brought our family there, they have been very helpful many times as well. So I guess you take the good w/ the bad.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:18 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

It was pretty crowded last Saturday at the free H1N1. The wait was 1.5 hours at 11 AM, so I came back at 12:30 and only waited 36 minutes. They vaccinated 2,000 people.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:15 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Got the seasonal version in October and just got the H1N1 yesterday. Only had a 5 minute wait at the Army base clinic as most patients are on leave and the staff was basically goofing off. Bring on the bugs~I'm protected!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:17 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Ya might want to hold off a couple of weeks on that H1N1 invitation. I understand it takes a little while for the immunization to become effective.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:11 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Ya might want to hold off a couple of weeks on that H1N1 invitation. I understand it takes a little while for the immunization to become effective.
And, it's only like 60% effective even when you have waited the usual 6 weeks for full response to occur (though such breakthrough cases are probably milder).

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
A Yuletide poem
Old 12-25-2009, 06:40 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

A Yuletide poem

The fright before Christmas, by André Picard - The Globe and Mail

Merry Christmas to all, and to all, a good night!
Old 12-25-2009, 10:37 PM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DH and I had our H1N1 shots 12/14/09. Our health dept had the vacinne and the hospital administered the shots at the mall, so charged $10.00 per shot. I am going on a cruise next month and want to be as protected as possible. We both had the regular flu shot earlier.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:34 AM   #69

This might be of interest to some folks that aren't aware. I'm taking the family on holiday to the US next week (first time in 3 years I've been back too) so I checked into travel insurance.

If you read all the fine print, none of the policies covered pandemics or epidemics. Since the H1N1 is classified a pandemic by the WHO, travel insurance won't pay if you get it.

Oh well, signed up anyway, travel insurance is really cheap for a lot of coverage.

EDIT: It does however cover acts of terrorism, which may be more helpful than the H1N1 coverage this season.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:01 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
EDIT: It does however cover acts of terrorism, which may be more helpful than the H1N1 coverage this season.
Don't forget your man-purse, because you won't be allowed any other carry-on, except the diaper bag!
Old 12-29-2009, 04:46 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Don't forget your man-purse, because you won't be allowed any other carry-on, except the diaper bag!
Yeah, not looking forward to the travel portion of the trip. However, we're flying US Air for the transatlantic portion and they're currently letting one carry-on per person still. It's just flights from Canada that are banned from carry-on's at the moment. Of course it may change (and I have alternate plans for our gear if they do.) We're not taking much on the way since we plan to do some clothes shopping while there.

US Airways | Fly with US

Old 12-29-2009, 07:52 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, not looking forward to the travel portion of the trip. However, we're flying US Air for the transatlantic portion and they're currently letting one carry-on per person still. It's just flights from Canada that are banned from carry-on's at the moment. Of course it may change (and I have alternate plans for our gear if they do.) We're not taking much on the way since we plan to do some clothes shopping while there.

US Airways | Fly with US
I didn't realize that this "no carry on" rule was specific to Canadian flights entering the US. I guess it's really aimed at minimizing delays in the holiday travel period rather than at improving security!
Old 12-30-2009, 12:36 AM   #73

The effect seems to be to maximize delays, cancellations and other inconveniences.
Toronto airport tops list of worst delays - The Globe and Mail
Old 01-11-2010, 01:30 PM   #74

Hmm what to do. We chose not to have the H1N1 shots, but then we have never had a flu shot in our lives. However, DH found out today that someone he works with and shook hands with last Friday has been diagnosed so now he is all panicky. I would imagine it would likely be too late for the vaccination to have any effect, rather that it might just be best to be on the lookout for symptoms.

Anyone with any input on the situation?

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:54 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

I would recommend going with the fist bump from now on. Hip, PC, and far less germy.