Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What Is Your H1N1 Infection/Vaccine Status?
I've already had the disease. 7 9.33%
I've had the vaccine 9 12.00%
I want the vaccine, but haven't yet been able to get it. 33 44.00%
I don't want the vaccine. 26 34.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

H1N1
Old 11-15-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

H1N1

I got my vaccine a few days ago. Glad to have it. Very well run clinic, but they had many doses left over after closing time.

What is your status/opinion?

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I am one of those who prefers getting flu vaccinations to not getting them.

I was able to get vaccinated for seasonal flu, but not for H1N1. I thought that despite available doses of vaccine in my community, that you had to be younger than my age of 61, or have a chronic disease to get the H1N1 vaccine, due to the shortages. Maybe I should look into that more closely!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got the seasonal flu vaccine about a month ago. I haven't checked to see about getting the H1N1 as I have presumed it is in short supply, and I don't fall in to any of the groups that are recommended to get it first. If I heard that it was widely available, I would definitely get it but I am not worried about it. I do wash my hands a lot more now.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:09 PM   #4

I'll get shot when (if) they have enough to go around. But right now they're just doing the those that they say need it the most. And the way things normally work out for us, they will get plenty of the vaccine in.....as soon as we leave on vacation.....and be all out of it as soon as we return!!!

We've had the regular flu shot already....got it at the Kroger pharmacy (no lines, no appointment). So now we'll just sit back and wait for the H1N1 vaccine to get here.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:14 PM   #5

While I voted, don't want it, I would take it if it were available. However, as, we are not in the high risk sector, I will be willing to forgo it until it becomes widely available.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:16 PM   #6
Administrator

I got the seasonal vaccine at work like always, as did DW, but we don't plan on going getting the H1N1 at this point.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:23 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I would take it if it were available. However, as, we are not in the high risk sector, I will be willing to forgo it until it becomes widely available.
Same here.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:26 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I got the strong feeling that they would have vaccinated a pet monkey. I think they were embarrassed to have so much left so late in the day. I saw a lot of people sitting around in a very big room holding syringes with not enough targets to stick them into.

It may be that by the end of the season they will be begging us to get the shot to prevent financial disaster for the companies who made it, or for any governments that may have provided financial backstops.

Ha
Old 11-15-2009, 02:33 PM   #9

I used to get regular flu shot at my former employer's insistence (and expense). But I never saw much difference in whether I got a flu like illness each year or not. I'm not in the identified high risk for H1N1 and the last time I got a swine flu shot not much happened. Between the hassle factor and the new questions about effectiveness, or lack of effectiveness, of flu vaccines in general, I plan to sit this one out. Hopefully not sniffling all the while.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:51 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Got the seasonal vaccine pretty early. My doctor's office says they will not get H1N1 vaccine. One clinic in town got a limited supply which they used up on very high priority people, and didn't get all of them vaccinated. I don't know if they will get more.

I'd get it if I could.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:58 PM   #11

Supposedly, I can get it in a week or two. Having seen the line-ups for those in higher risk groups I'll probably sit this one out. I was in the middle of the "panic" of Y2K and predicted it would be the biggest non-event of the 20th century. I hope the H1N1 scare is the biggest of the 21st.

If for some reason there's a thread like this one mentioning kumquats you can draw your own conclusions.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:00 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Got the vaccine Thurs at a local Health Dept. clinic. They had plenty left over and indicated their next clinic would be open to everybody. But, the state of Ohio stepped in and put the brakes on that.
gindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:38 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I belong to the largest national HMO. Every year we get mail and email about how important, nay, critical, it is to get a flu shot. You could be enangering your life, those of your loved ones, and perhaps millions of others if you don't get it.

This year, they've run out of the seasonal flu shots. So we get a letter in the mail saying don't worry, it's not really that important, just wash your hands, cover your mouth if you sneeze, etc.

I'll probably get the shots elsewhere if they are available, but this BS propaganda spin crap is really annoying me. Just tell the truth (whatever it is). We're all adults, we can handle it.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:41 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Ha, did they say ahead of time that they were vaccinating anyone, regardless of risk group?
Old 11-15-2009, 04:43 PM   #15

Do not need it now but we did get it for the kids. We also got the seasonal vaccine for all.

I had H1N1 and while it did not last long a fever of 103 and a pulse of 150 for almost 24hrs was no fun. I was panting like a dog to breath. Tamiflu really turn it around fast however. I would have gotten the shot if it had been available to my age group.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:59 PM   #16

I plan to get it. DD just got both last Wed, so hopefully she has time to build up some immunity. Local school is back up to 96% attendance. Two weeks ago it was 82%.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:07 PM   #17

I got mine today.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:39 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I was able to get my children the shot just last week, but DH and I are unable to receive it so far, since we didn't "qualify" (we will get it when we can, though).

H1N1 is sweeping through my kids' elementary school despite the school's best efforts to scrub/sanitize/monitor/etc. A full 25% of the 3rd grade was out about 2 weeks ago. Yuck. It's a miracle my son didn't catch it, since washing hands methodically isn't always a 9-year-old boy's best skill...
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:44 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Got ours a couple of weeks ago. With the evening news broadcasting every night that the vaccine is in short supply we were surprised to see that a local pharmacy had it. We called to make sure they were giving it to everyone (we're not in a high risk group) and they said they were. We were the only people in the place and it took all of about 5 minutes.

Glad to have it.
Gone4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:52 PM   #20
Gone but not forgotten

I had the flu but if I could have had the vaccine I would have gotten it . I have asthma and the flu was pretty mild but turned suddenly to severe bronchitis . I was fine one day and the next I was in an urgent care with severe shortness of breath .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote