Had meniscus repaired/removed surgery--Doing GREAT!!!

Retire2013

Recycles dryer sheets
Dearest Forum Members,

A while back I wrote about severe knee pain, then I wrote again asking if anyone can share experiences on knee surgery to repair torn meniscus and post-op recovery.

I write to report that a month ago today, I had surgery on both knees to repair and remove parts of the medial meniscus that was torn in each knee. I walked home in crutches. Used crutches for 4 days, then switched to walker for 2 days, then cane through the 2nd week. 14 days after the surgery, I was walking without a cane, going up and downstairs, and driving, etc. I've returned to work one week after the surgery (my "day" job in Finance) and I will return to teaching 5 yoga classes each week 2 weeks from today which is 6 weeks from the date of my surgery.

I am doing physical therapy (PT) once a week with a therapist and doing the PT exercises diligently at home daily as prescribed. I am walking my dogs (one at a time) daily and have resumed my active normal life.

I am very happy that I did both knees at once and thus only had to deal w/ the recovery process once. I am in very little pain right now compared to pre-surgery condition. Only going downstairs still hurts but the surgeon said that that pain will go away.

Thank you ALL for your advice and moral support.

I am doing GREAT!!! :dance: So HAPPY!!!

Congrats on the outcome of your surgery. I had a torn meniscus replaced several years ago. I started again riding a bike as I had done in my teens and twenties and found that this was great exercise and did a great job strengthening the knees and providing exercise. I now have an exercise bike in my bedroom for the winter and my hybrid bike whenever time and the weather permit.

Wow! It's great to hear such a success story. :flowers:

Hang in there and keep up the good work. Here's to saying 'bye bye' to pain. :greetings10:

Retire2014,

Glad to see that you are doing well :)

Congrats on the speedy recovery. I dont know how you could do the crutches having both knees done at the same time. DW had her meniscus surgery last Thurs, and will be on crutches for another week. Then we'll see what her Dr says.

Congrats on the recovery. I had mine repaired in March, along with the more major ACL reconstruction. My knee is still a bit weak, and I feel a bit of pain in the morning, and on stairs or hills. Running on flat ground I just feel some pressure or compression once I've warmed up. I have a marathon in 19 days, and I'm sure I won't be at full speed but at least it's healed well enough to run long distances again. So when I say it's a bit weak, that's relative to how it was before.

Congrats on the outcome of your surgery. I had a torn meniscus replaced several years ago.
What was it replaced with?

Serious question-- I have two torn ACLs and a collection of damaged meniscii, but I've been holding off the surgery for as long as possible. Or at least until artificial cartilage is perfected.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom