Join Early Retirement Today

Hamstring injury..............
Old 02-23-2010, 04:58 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hamstring injury..............

Does this sound like a hamstring injury to you? Over the last month I have had a pain that runs just below the backside of the knee to the middle of the knee. But again, on the backside almost a burning sensation. And it usually occurs during the night. No swelling that I can tell. Not much problem to this point but tonight it felt like someone stabbing me in that area. Goes away and may reappear several minutes later for just a quick moment. Yesterday I cleaned out my gutters, so I was going up and down a ladder. But no pain what so ever when doing the job.

I took an aspirin and a couple of ibuprofen's, but not helping much. Any thoughts?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2010, 05:23 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Hamstring is above the knee. How far below the knee is it? I've had two types of stabbing pain in that area, but neither sounds like the exact location.

I've had a calf strain caused (I think) by a tendon pulling loose from the bone. It would feel fine until I'd try running or otherwise exert it, then it'd feel like I'd been shot. Generally took 4-6 weeks of rest to recover. But I'd feel this in the fat part of the calf on the back of my lower leg.

I've also had some IT band issues, definitely felt like a stabbing pain but that's on the side of the knee where the IT band was rubbing.

Along with ibuprofen you can try ice. An alternative to an ice pack is to freeze water in a paper cup (fill a dixie cup size) and rub it on the spot.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:38 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

It goes down about as far as the tendons shown in the diagram.(see link) I said hamstring as it looked like it extends down this far according to the picture. I would say down to the low point on the diagram. Now starting to feel it as I walk a little. Funny that it didn't bother me on the ladder. Of course the way I slept could have pulled it a little more.

Hamstring Tendon Rupture or Strain
Old 02-23-2010, 09:25 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Could be hamstring but doesn't sound like the usual symptoms. Hard to tell but it could be a calf strain. The area just behind the knee can develop a cyst (Baker's Cyst) as well as blood clots.

I am usually pretty conservative about this kind of injury (RICE, etc.) but its specific location is such that I'd probably do at least a good exam or maybe an ultrasound to make sure the latter is not a concern. Unlikely, but high stakes.

And of course, As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice. .

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:34 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Could be hamstring but doesn't sound like the usual symptoms. Hard to tell but it could be a calf strain. The area just behind the knee can develop a cyst (Baker's Cyst) as well as blood clots.

I am usually pretty conservative about this kind of injury (RICE, etc.) but its specific location is such that I'd probably do at least a good exam or maybe an ultrasound to make sure the latter is not a concern. Unlikely, but high stakes.

And of course, As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice. .
I thought about the blood clot possibility. I'll probably go drop in on the doc after lunch. The pain keeps stinging every so often and the ibuprofen does not seem to help. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I took an aspirin and a couple of ibuprofen's, but not helping much. Any thoughts?
If the pain is caused by swelling, I've been told that NSAIDs like ibuprofen aren't even effective until they reach a threshold level in the body. For me that's 800 mg / 185 pounds, and if you weigh less than that then you may only need 600 mg. It's easier on the stomach if taken right after a meal with plenty of water.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:16 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
If the pain is caused by swelling, I've been told that NSAIDs like ibuprofen aren't even effective until they reach a threshold level in the body. For me that's 800 mg / 185 pounds, and if you weigh less than that then you may only need 600 mg. It's easier on the stomach if taken right after a meal with plenty of water.
800mg in some people will eventually cause kidney failure, especially with prolonged use. Just a thought, but be careful out there with that dose.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:46 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Just back from the doc. He was a little puzzled too why it didn't hurt when I was on the ladder, but only later in bed. Maybe I rolled over in bed and tweaked it a little more. He took an xray which showed a pretty sound knee, but with a little arthritis. Gave me the manual knee exam and that didn't hurt. I told him if it was just a minor tweaking, I can deal with it for awhile and rest it. He recommended using my indoor bike as that would help. Didn't seem concerned about a blood clot which is the main thing I wanted to hear. Of course if I stop posting one day you know he was probably wrong.

So just going to have to get used to getting older I guess. He did say all the up and down hiking I do at a local park can be tough on the knees.(mainly the coming down) But didn't want me to stop my walking. Also said if it continues for a period of time, might need and MRI. But I will have to be hurting a lot to make myself go do that.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Whew!! Glad to hear it wasn't a blood clot. That worried me when I read that it was a possibility.

Sounds like you are in the clear, and just need to do what the doctor says for it to heal all by itself.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:06 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Just back from the doc. He was a little puzzled too why it didn't hurt when I was on the ladder, but only later in bed. Maybe I rolled over in bed and tweaked it a little more.
Uh oh...sounds like since we were talking about our sleep attire, you may have tried a suggestion or two, thus the tweak.

I'm glad you went to the doc.