Happy Anniversery

UncleHoney

Full time employment: Posting here.
Woke up early this morning and didn't feel too peppy. Got my shower and shaved and headed downstairs for my morning tea.

As the tea was brewing I started feeling really bad. :p Then the light bulb came on. A kidney stone. :dead:

Just what I needed on a Tuesday morning. The interesting thing is it was just a year ago next week that I passed a stone. From Xrays last year I knew I had another stone but it wasn't moving around and it was small so the doctor said "don't worry about it".

This morning I was armed to do battle with the latest arrival. I still had some pain pills left from last time. Two pills later I feel much better and just waiting for the stone to make its next move. Got a doctor's appointment all setup for tomorrow so we'll see how things are by then.

Woke up early this morning and didn't feel too peppy. Got my shower and shaved and headed downstairs for my morning tea.

As the tea was brewing I started feeling really bad. :p Then the light bulb came on. A kidney stone. :dead:

Just what I needed on a Tuesday morning. The interesting thing is it was just a year ago next week that I passed a stone. From Xrays last year I knew I had another stone but it wasn't moving around and it was small so the doctor said "don't worry about it".

This morning I was armed to do battle with the latest arrival. I still had some pain pills left from last time. Two pills later I feel much better and just waiting for the stone to make its next move. Got a doctor's appointment all setup for tomorrow so we'll see how things are by then.

Good luck Uncle

Ha

I've Never Had a Kidney Stone

What kind of pain pills do they give you for kidney stones?

I am on Percocet 5/325 "as needed" for phantom pains in my diabetic feet. Two of those affect my mood a lot. I don't drive while on them.

I have heard from kidney stone survivors that it's the worst pain ever.

Once I had a shot of Demerol in an IV line and it hit me all at once. I didn't like the rush feeling but almost immediately no longer noticed much pain... My drug user friend told me that's the feeling the drug users live for.

Mike D.

It's Oxycodone. I think it's the same as Percocet.

It only takes about twenty minutes for them to take effect.

So far so good this morning. Maybe that little sucker is history.

One of my guys at work is going thru this right now...he was in the emergency room last week. He told me yesterday that when the meds didn't give him relief, he asked for something stronger, and was told that the next level was morphine...so that's gotta hurt. Take care Uncle, and good luck.

R

Good luck to you UncleHoney.

I had two stones 10 years ago, and passed them within 1 week. Lots of blood too. I have been drinking more water since, and have not had a recurrence.

The funny thing was it never occurred to me that I had kidney stones. For several years, I had occasional back pain, and it came and went. I always thought it was back muscle pain. They were small enough for me to pass, until that one time when I ended up in Emergency.

A friend of mine had kidney stone problems a few years ago. The pain hit him while he was driving one day, and he quickly pulled off the road. Good thing he did as the intense pain caused him to pass out! He came to about 45 minutes later.

:p Then the light bulb came on. A kidney stone. :dead:

Wish you well. I have felt your pain
sad.gif

'bout 4 years ago at w*rk, the female EMT s carting me off to the hospital were laughing their a$$ off. They assured me that it was the male version of childbirth. OK I said gritting my teeth, I'll pass on having kids.
grin.gif

At the Emergency room I was put in a room and roundly ignored for over 45 minutes. Spent most of the time rolling on the floor in pain. No one gave darn. Eventually the ER doc got to see me, listened to kidney with stethoscope, sent me off for Xrays. Then after that they gave me some pain killers. By that time my brain must have shut off some nerves. Superb timing, I'd say.

Some weeks after this episode I read in the paper that this hospital had their accreditation suspended for patient neglect etc.

Edit add: the best hope I can offer: this too shall pass :)

Last edited:
Had an Xray this morning.........the Rock of Gibraltar is missing in action and presumed flushed. :D

After about noon yesterday I started feeling better so I figured the sucker was either hiding out or on it's way to the sewage treatment plant.

DW says it's time to quit whining and get back to retirement. :D

Since none of this sounds at all pleasant, what do they recommend to prevent kidney stones from forming in the first place?

Had an Xray this morning.........the Rock of Gibraltar is missing in action and presumed flushed. :D

After about noon yesterday I started feeling better so I figured the sucker was either hiding out or on it's way to the sewage treatment plant.

DW says it's time to quit whining and get back to retirement. :D

Wonderful! Glad to hear that your suspense is over. :D

Since none of this sounds at all pleasant, what do they recommend to prevent kidney stones from forming in the first place?
There was an article in our local paper about dehydration and kidney stones and how more people get them in the summer because they don't drink enough water.

UncleHoney, glad to hear that all is well. I've been stoned plenty times but never kidney stoned :D

Various close relatives and friends have had kidney stones so I have seen how painful it is.

Back
Top Bottom