Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-30-2010, 09:24 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wife tore her rotator cuff about 18 months ago. There was some delay until they finally scheduled an MRI and assessed the amount of damage. As others have said, the surgery is not fun - she slept in a chair for 4 weeks - but she's pretty much back to normal, able to play golf etc. Without the surgery she would have had pretty limited use of her right arm.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2010, 10:02 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba View Post
I don't think anything is broken; probably just old and worn out.
Isn't the other rotator cuff the same age and subject to the same duty cycle?

Much of the diagnosis can be done without an MRI, and the physical therapy is usually the most important part of the treatment. Whatever gets fixed, for the long term you need proper positioning and muscle stability.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:35 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Isn't the other rotator cuff the same age and subject to the same duty cycle?

Much of the diagnosis can be done without an MRI, and the physical therapy is usually the most important part of the treatment. Whatever gets fixed, for the long term you need proper positioning and muscle stability.
Ha! I guess the other is the same age, but maybe since it's the right shoulder and I'm right handed, it gets more of a workout each day. I'll update when I get a diagnosis.
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:01 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

okay i will throw in my two cents... it is either a rotator cuff injury or a torn labrum... surgery is the solution and a loooooong rehab... at least 6 months to be normal whatever that is (even Khan is not sure)....
Old 09-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've had frozen shoulder twice, once in each shoulder. The shoulder joint is capable of causing more pain than most think possible. Run to the doctor.

But not just any doctor. Find one who did training at Kerlan-Jobe. These guys invented much of what is now standard in orthopaedic surgery. Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic. They did my shoulder surgery.

How good are they? Every member of their staff is either a team physican or a consultant to one of the following pro teams: Lakers, Dodgers, Kings, Angels, Mighty Ducks, Sparks, USC Athletic Department
ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:23 PM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
I diagnosed myself after listening to a sports talk call in show on the radio. While I do plan to go to the doctor when things slow down at w*rk, would welcome your "second opinions". This has been going on for over a year; no particular thing happened - just realized that I had pain in my right shoulder. No pain at all as long as arm stays to the side or in front of my body and isn't lifted any higher than shoulder height. Cannot raise my arm over my head any more nor can I reach behind my back due to knee-buckling pain. Can't sleep on my right side any longer, and that bites as I sleep best on my right side. Are there exercises I could do to cure this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Are you sure it's a rotator cuff tear and not chronic tendonitis or bursitis? What you are describing sounds like it could be one of those as well. Strengthening muscles could be part of the relief, but it would be best to be sure what you are dealing with first.
Quote:
Normally my strategy is waiting to see if a problem fixes itself, but your stories prove that's not always a good strategy. I'll have it seen about; sure dread a shot in the shoulder.
Your symptoms sound exactly the same as my problem in both shoulders a few years ago, which turned out to be tendinitis caused by arthritis My right shoulder was the worst and I learned to shave left-handed because even those angles with my right arm became incredibly painfull.

I did the shots for a while (yes, they hurt like hell) and eventually went in for the surgery, which was called a shoulder decompression, where the surgeon finds the bone spurs impinging on the tendons and shaves them off.

This was back in 2003 and I had the shoulders done 3 months apart, although full recovery for each was only 6 weeks. The results have been wonderful and I've been playing tennis ever since. I now make sure I do plenty of exercise to keep those joints strengthened but if I had to have the surgery every 5-10 years I would do it.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:47 PM   #27

Bubba,

Similar situation here. I hurt my right shoulder lifting a heavy vacuum cleaner up high with my right arm. The shoulder then hurt if I tried to move my arm too high. I just rested it, thinking it would heal by itself. After about 2 years of waiting, I went to the doc. Had an MRI. The tech reading the MRI in India said it was a rotator cuff tear, but the doctor said he wasn't sure. Anyway, the doc gave me a rubber stretchy and a diagram of exercises to do. I did the exercises for oh about a month, every day, and the pain went away and I got complete use of the arm back !!!

I also got "frozen shoulder" in the left arm, later, but that's another story.

Good Luck.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:51 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Some exercises and treatments are discussed in this NYTimes article: Phys Ed: How to Fix a Bad Tennis Shoulder - NYTimes.com
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:59 AM   #29

Friend's husband had the rotor cuff surgery cause he believes everything a physician tells him (apologies to all you physicians here). He told me it was painful, painful, painful to have this surgery.
Personally, I'd try everything in the world before submitting to any kind of cutting on me.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:06 AM   #30
Gone but not forgotten

I worked in an orthopedic surgery center so I met lots of shoulder patients . Some just have minimal pain and some are in agony . My SO had both rotator cuffs repaired and he did sleep in a lazy boy for awhile but he had minimal pain . It really depends what surgery is done and the pain tolerance of the patient .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote