Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCollector View Post
I even signed up with a local gym with a contract for a year hoping that money might be my motivating factor....but alas....still sitting here!

So I may be the only one in the expanding waistline group here...or maybe I'm the only one willing to say so??

Again, congrats to all of you who have done all of the right things!

You are not the odd man out . I truly dislike the gym and if I did the treadmill ( The most boring exercise on earth ) I would be out of there in twenty minutes . I do a one hour class of water aerobics or kickboxing because once you are in the class it's hard to leave without looking strange . Luckily for me money is a motivator so that yearly fee is a strong incentive for showing up regularly .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2010, 03:03 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I lost 45 pounds since i semi-retired. I have more time to shop, cook and eat correctly. I no longer go out to lunch at work. I just pack something from home. I am expecting to loose more but I am now about 180 so the weight is coming off slower as I get closer to my goal.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedog View Post
Being fairly tall (6' 2"), a good weight for me is 180 to 185 but after retiring I started running everyday and actually lost too much weight (down to 170). my ideal weight range of 180 to 185.
Not sure why you would think 170lbs is too light. At 6'2", 170lbs gives you a BMI of 21.9 which is ideal. 185 would put you at the very high end of the 18.5-24.5 ideal range for BMI. As long as you're 190 or under you're doing fine. 150lbs would be the low end for your height.

If you have an unusually large amount of muscle then BMI isn't very reliable go with body fat % instead.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:21 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

The scale has not budged too much, but my overall fitness has greatly improved. I keep very active during the day versus being chained to the desk under stress.
I am trying to get into an exercise bike regiment... I do that at least twice a week. I will do more indoor exercise during the winter when the snow is up to my eyeballs. I get a great cardio and upper body w*rkout shoveling snow.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
The scale has not budged too much, but my overall fitness has greatly improved. I keep very active during the day versus being chained to the desk under stress.
I am trying to get into an exercise bike regiment... I do that at least twice a week. I will do more indoor exercise during the winter when the snow is up to my eyeballs. I get a great cardio and upper body w*rkout shoveling snow.

I know a great cardio workout that is perfect for the inside !
Old 09-12-2010, 08:57 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I have never been extremely overweight, just a little fuller around the waist than I would prefer. I started biking about 100 miles a week soon after ER and dropped about 15 pounds. Unfortunately, once my body adjusted to the increased excercise I gained back about 10. I know what it would take to drop those 10 permanently - cut out chocolate. Fat chance
This is my situation almost exactly. What's up with that? I run/walk nearly every day. I get more excercise now than ever before, but have been doing it long enough that the affect on my weight is nil. I refuse, however, to give up my evening ice cream, so I also may have to settle for the "fullness" as you describe!
Old 09-12-2010, 09:05 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
This is my situation almost exactly. What's up with that? I run/walk nearly every day. I get more excercise now than ever before, but have been doing it long enough that the affect on my weight is nil. I refuse, however, to give up my evening ice cream, so I also may have to settle for the "fullness" as you describe!

I have also hit a plateau and I read that you should shake things up . If you always do one type of exercise you should change it . It also recommended that you change your food pattern . One day eat a lot and the next day eat less . These things seem to jump start metabolism .
Old 09-12-2010, 10:28 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I read an article which says that your waistline must be smaller than the size of your TV (measured diagonally). Kind of stupid article but it was comforting since I have a long way to go before I overtake the size of my TV. Into my first month of retirement - weight is unchanged from last month.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:42 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
I read an article which says that your waistline must be smaller than the size of your TV (measured diagonally). Kind of stupid article but it was comforting since I have a long way to go before I overtake the size of my TV. Into my first month of retirement - weight is unchanged from last month.
I guess I better get a bigger tv
Old 09-13-2010, 12:01 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Regarding waistlines - men's pants have now gone the way of women's "vanity sizing". My gal used to tell me that the more expensive clothes fit better on her.. Now I find some higher end jeans fit my scrawny ol' man butt better.

http://www.esquire.com/cm/esquire/im...090710-xlg.jpg
Old 09-13-2010, 09:14 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I have also hit a plateau and I read that you should shake things up . If you always do one type of exercise you should change it . It also recommended that you change your food pattern . One day eat a lot and the next day eat less . These things seem to jump start metabolism .
That's a great point. I might try bicycling to change it up. Then maybe switch from vanilla to chocolate in the ice cream department.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:59 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's a great point. I might try bicycling to change it up. Then maybe switch from vanilla to chocolate in the ice cream department.
If I could switch to dark chocolate I could lose the pounds. My poison is milk chocolate - I eat it in frequent 1/2 pound binges. My metabolism is already screaming -- my legs shake the room wherever I am.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
If I could switch to dark chocolate I could lose the pounds. My poison is milk chocolate - I eat it in frequent 1/2 pound binges. My metabolism is already screaming -- my legs shake the room wherever I am.
I was eating dark chocolate chips, a few each day until I read the package. There was more sugar than I expected so I switched to 85% dark chocolate for my daily fix. I have one square after lunch and that pretty much takes care of my chocolate craving.

I don't miss the sugar, now that I've weaned myself away from it over the past year. I indulge once in a while with something that has plenty of sugar, like ice cream or a single cookie but my cravings for sugar has really dropped.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:14 PM   #34

I went from 210 diwn to 195 with no diet or excersize. I lost some weight when taking care of my wife (had to eat my own cooking) and after she passed away. I've been eating quite well for the last 6 months but still haven't put on any weight.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:04 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
I read an article which says that your waistline must be smaller than the size of your TV (measured diagonally).

Check!
Old 09-13-2010, 01:37 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Another guilty voice for added weight.

136 lb June 2008, 141 August 2008, 146ish now (least I slowed down the increase) - I'm not tall so I definitely notice. I walk 1.5 miles a day, but obviously not enough to offset the extra input.

I have been looking at the treadmill for a while, about 6 months ago I cleaned the junk off it. Recently I acquired a TV visible to the treadmill... now just need the willpower.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not into numbers but the Lands End clothes I bought last week fit as well as the ones I had while still working. (same size). My theory is that they are making everything bigger and adjustable so they get fewer returns.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:01 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
I'm not into numbers but the Lands End clothes I bought last week fit as well as the ones I had while still working. (same size). My theory is that they are making everything bigger and adjustable so they get fewer returns.

My favorite thing about Land's end is the free shipping and the fact that they hem the pants .
Old 09-13-2010, 03:02 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Great idea and I'll switch to Pretzels instead of chips which are my only weakness .
Old 09-13-2010, 03:04 PM   #40

I retired 10 yrs ago and was 6'2, 185. Now I'm 6'1, 170. I drink less, have given up cigarettes, eat better and exercise more. Maybe I need to hang upside down to get that inch back.