Join Early Retirement Today

Has your waistline benefited or been harmed by retirement ?
Old 09-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Has your waistline benefited or been harmed by retirement ?

For some the freedom from work and being with the refrigerator 24/7 may be too much and for other's retirement has been a time to get their health in shape . So has is your waistline doing since retirement ? Mine happily is dwindling . When I was working I never really had to visit gyms since I walked so much in my job but when I retired some pounds started creeping on . I now hit the gym three to four times a week and have lost sixteen pounds .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations on getting in shape!

(Especially since some of your posts have mentioned very delicious and lavish meals).

Amethyst

Old 09-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Don't have all the waistline measurements.

Lost 85#
Old 09-11-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post

Lost 85#
Wow ! I am so impressed !
Old 09-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Congratulations on getting in shape!

(Especially since some of your posts have mentioned very delicious and lavish meals).

Amethyst
Thank you, but they days of lavish food have given way to low carbs .
Old 09-11-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Lost 85#
Wow, Khan, that's really impressive! You must feel great!

For many years I've had a three-pound range that I try to keep my weight within, working or not. I've stayed within my range but stick to my workout schedule better now. I've always worked out in the morning (at home), but when I was still w*rking I had more excuses (running late, etc.) that would keep me from adhering to my schedule.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Waistline has decreased and eye sight has improved.

I've lost about 20# and am working out 3-4 times a week. The optometrist tells me that they often find that patients who have recently retired have improved eyesight. Must have something to do with lack of stress.

-- Rita
Old 09-11-2010, 06:57 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Lost about 30 pounds, lowered my blood pressure, and lowered my resting pulse.

Shrinkage. Definite shrinkage...
Old 09-11-2010, 07:22 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I'm a regular blood donor: BP went from high of 176/96 to 110/70 last month.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #10

Quote:
I'm a regular blood donor: BP went from high of 176/96 to 110/70 last month.
By donating blood?
Old 09-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

No.
Donating blood every 8 weeks is a way I kept track of BP.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:36 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Lost about 30 pounds, lowered my blood pressure, and lowered my resting pulse.

Shrinkage. Definite shrinkage...

Great work !
Old 09-12-2010, 04:47 AM   #13

Generally better, although at first DW and I kind of "got into" cooking for a while. Then we ate what we cooked. Predictably, we both gained 20 lbs and it became clear we needed to buy all new clothes or lose weight.

Being too cheap to buy all new clothes we both lost the weight. Now I stay between 145 - 150 lbs, she gets upset if she's over 120.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:19 AM   #14

I'm about 10 pounds lighter but lost 2" at the waistline- I have a portable sawmill that I run for a part time business and lifting boards gives me plenty of exercise- my previous job was at a desk so a big change. Blood pressure is lower as well.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:38 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I lost 15 pounds over the past year of retirement. I get more physical activity now, but I think it's mainly from not going out to lunch 3 times a week.

Since I have more time now, I planted a much bigger vegetable garden that I've done in the past, so I'm also eating a lot healthier this summer.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:37 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I have never been extremely overweight, just a little fuller around the waist than I would prefer. I started biking about 100 miles a week soon after ER and dropped about 15 pounds. Unfortunately, once my body adjusted to the increased excercise I gained back about 10. I know what it would take to drop those 10 permanently - cut out chocolate. Fat chance
Old 09-12-2010, 09:12 AM   #17

I gradually increased my weight after retirement by about 7 pounds. Then last fall, I slowly began changing my eating pattern and lost a little over 20 pounds in a year.

I'm attempting to build up some muscle since I know I've lost some, by doing Pilates. My waist has decreased about 2 inches so I'm now under the 35 inches, the current benchmark for good health, for women. I sure would like my waist measurement to decrease a little more though. I have a feeling that I will never get to my old waist size of long ago...boo hoo.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #18

At retirement I weighed more than at any point in my life (a little over 200 lbs) due to limited time for exercise with the long commute. Being fairly tall (6' 2"), a good weight for me is 180 to 185 but after retiring I started running everyday and actually lost too much weight (down to 170). I still run most days but have scaled back the distance. I also lift weights/exercise 3 days a week and have been maintaining my ideal weight range of 180 to 185. My waist is now the same as when I was in college (33"). I eat much healthier as well since most meals are prepared at home.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #19

OK....odd man out here I've probably gained 10 lbs in the past 3 years.....

I envy each of you who has the willpower to get up and out to the gym....or on the road to run....and I HAVE TRIED....I simply have not found the right motivation FOR ME....

I actually thought that my high BP might get me to the gym, but if I'm being truly honest about it, the medication (OK, so I DID finally make it to the Doctor to get THAT under control!) is doing an absolutely great job ~ 110-120/65-80 .....so I don't feel like I HAVE to go....and I really don't enjoy it

At 5' 6" and 200 lbs + I KNOW that I need to do SOMETHING.....Atkins worked for me a few years back....maybe I could get back to that.....but then I'd rather eat all of the stuff that is not good for me.....and I have absolutely no motivation.... at least not yet....at 55 even my cholesterol is great!

I even signed up with a local gym with a contract for a year hoping that money might be my motivating factor....but alas....still sitting here!

So I may be the only one in the expanding waistline group here...or maybe I'm the only one willing to say so??

Again, congrats to all of you who have done all of the right things!
Old 09-12-2010, 01:52 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCollector View Post
I envy each of you who has the willpower to get up and out to the gym....or on the road to run....and I HAVE TRIED....I simply have not found the right motivation FOR ME....
Two things I know that often work-

1)move somewhere where you can walk to do your errands and go to coffee shops, etc. You just naturally get a fair amount of mild to moderate exercise.

2) Get divorced. This works in two ways. Unless you can afford to go out all the time, you will be having a lot less dessert. And, you will want to look slim to attract women more easily.

Ha