Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-12-2008, 09:32 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Anybody tried arctic krill instead of fish oil?
I think Moby Dick had a lot of success with it

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2008, 09:56 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

approves:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dr zoidberg.jpg (5.9 KB, 130 views)

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:32 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

statins & alzheimer's

Yahoo!

"i don't want to be the person in a nursing home with the lowest chlorestoral."

Health Journal - WSJ.com

Quote:
"This drug makes women stupid," Orli Etingin, vice chairman of medicine at New York Presbyterian Hospital...Pfizer Inc.'s Lipitor is the world's best-selling medicine, with revenues of $12.6 billion in 2007... the brain is largely cholesterol, much of it in the myelin sheaths that insulate nerve cells and in the synapses that transmit nerve impulses. Lowering cholesterol could slow the connections that facilitate thought and memory. Statins may also lead to the formation of abnormal proteins seen in the brains of Alzheimer's patients.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:58 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Man think that vascular cholesterol contributes to Alzheimers. The best evidence is today is only poor to intermediate in quality and suggests a10-20% drop in dementia in patients taking statins (along with a 10-20% drop in strokes).

I do not feel this evidence is robust enough to draw credible conclusions, but that's where we are with this.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:50 PM   #45

I have been taking artic krill as an omega-3 supplement for about two months (I mentioned krill in a previous post). Last week I went for an "routine annual visit" and the doc checked my numbers. My HDL was 62 (no, I don't exercise), my LDL was 126, my total cholesterol was 197 and my triglycerides were down to 45! They usually run about 75-80 and a drop to 45 seems pretty significant. The krill is the only thing I have been doing differently but the real test will be checking DH's triglycerides and seeing whether they have dropped also. His don't exceed 150 but if they drop 40-50% like mine did, that will be positive.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:17 PM   #46

Quote:
I have been taking artic krill as an omega-3 supplement for about two months (I mentioned krill in a previous post). Last week I went for an "routine annual visit" and the doc checked my numbers. My HDL was 62 (no, I don't exercise), my LDL was 126, my total cholesterol was 197 and my triglycerides were down to 45! They usually run about 75-80 and a drop to 45 seems pretty significant. The krill is the only thing I have been doing differently but the real test will be checking DH's triglycerides and seeing whether they have dropped also. His don't exceed 150 but if they drop 40-50% like mine did, that will be positive.

What brand and where did you get it?
Old 02-22-2008, 08:20 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Anybody tried arctic krill instead of fish oil?
Have just sent away for some........We shall see
Old 02-22-2008, 08:30 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjon72 View Post
Have just sent away for some........We shall see
Again what brand?
Old 02-22-2008, 08:43 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

It was from the 'mercola' site
Old 02-22-2008, 08:49 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjon72 View Post
It was from the 'mercola' site
thanks
Old 02-22-2008, 09:25 PM   #51

I also got mine at Dr. Mercola's site. It basically just says Arctic Krill Oil on the label but he has supposedly vetted the supplier and the quality of the product before selling it on his website. I signed up for the automatic shipment program which gives you a 10% discount on your order. Just put the next ship date way out so that if you decide you don't want more shipped to you, you can cancel the automatic ship but still get the 10% discount on your initial order. He's got a free shipping promotion going on right now.

He's an MD who strongly advocates for prevention instead of treating symptoms. He's really gotten into the UTube thing so he has lots of videos on his website. He is very full of energy and enthusiasm. It's nice to see a guy who advocates all this healthy stuff actually looking very healthy himself. I'm wary because he sells lots of stuff through his website but the krill seems to be what he says it is. I'm pleased so far.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:23 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Genetics DO play a major role. My grandpa, my dad and myself all have ridiculously high triglycerides. In the 500-600+ range.

My grandpa lived well into his 80's with no medication and my dad is 75 and healthy as a horse.

There is a measure of loss in worrying excessively about things that are marginally "wrong".
genetics is the 21st century boogeyman of health. people blame all their health problems on it. i was diagnosed with a genetic disorder that puts me at risk for some bad things and i have no problem keeping myself healthy and i don't have to go on any crazy diets. and i've never taken any prescription drug other than an antibiotic once every few years

you just have to know what you are eating and don't eat anything bad for you. and i eat all the sweets, red meat, alcohol, butter, fat and other so called bad things i want.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:25 AM   #53

Quote:

check out Flax Seeds. i used to eat flax meal but switched to seeds since they are unproccesed. you can get them at Whole Foods for like $2 a pound. probably cheaper than a pill
Old 03-31-2008, 07:41 AM   #54

Just been reading the studies Merck and others did NOT release about zetia and vitorin. My father who is now pushing 80 was told last week that his new cardiologist wants to put him on ZETIA. He has been taking a generic statin for years now after his bypass surgeries. He told the doc why in the world would you want me on this drug now? Did you read the studies that have just come out?? He said he got a strange look from the doc and gave him those little pharma packs of zetia that drug companies give doctors!! Dad gets his meds from the VA and zetia is a 100 dollar a month non VA cost drug, meaning IF he decided to take Zetia he would have to pay for the drug in its entirety. He told him look, I have made it this far 80 with just his Zocor No on the Zetia.

My thing is since when has the world decided that you can eat all the fatty foods processed foods and drink all the sugar and alcohol you want then THINK taking a statin will keep you from a heart attack??

Nope eat right exercise your butt off and enjoy when you eat like the Italians and French meaning sitting down with friends and family and breaking bread, GOOD hearty bread good wine and lingering over your meals.

But alas americans just want their bojangles sausage biscuit in the car their french fries and high fructose corn syrup sodas! No wonder everyone wants a statin!
Old 03-31-2008, 08:25 AM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post

But alas americans just want their bojangles sausage biscuit in the car their french fries and high fructose corn syrup sodas! No wonder everyone wants a statin!
Well yeah. Eat the way you want, pop a pill at night, and everyone is happy!

Does seem crazy to be changing your Dad's meds at this point. Particularly with one that just had some bad press.