Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

More on the paleo topic:

Most people assume that life was really tough for prehistoric man. Almost starving and always running away from tigers. But others have made the point that game was often plentiful in those days. Even a hundred years ago, there are descriptions of streams so full of salmon that you would walk across on their backs. So, in the right place, man may not have had to work that hard.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Zulu Impi

Quote:
Generally the lightly equipped, forging Zulu army could cover 20 miles in a day and still fight at the end of the march.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I've wondered about that. I'd think most farm work is quite different from running 8 miles (or rowing). Some, yes. Walking with a plow behind a horse, yes. Clearing brush, probably not. Mucking out a stall, no.
No doubt they are different. But I had a big pile of pea gravel and sand on my place, maybe 20 yds. I built 2 plywood structures facing one another, and I would shovel the gravel back and forth between them. I didn't have a monitor, but my heart was going tick tick tick, not tick, tock.

Quote:
There is baloney in some of the paleo talk.
Even more than a typical honda forum where all the young guys tell how fast their rice-burners go, or a forum for gun guys where people who have never shot as much as a rabbit talk knowingly about "Knock down power", and quote their favorite gurus.
Quote:
In general, I think the idea of reproducing the kind of environment in which man evolved has merit.
Me too, much more than we give it. Have you ever looked at the 2010 paper by Boyd Eaton and Melvin Konner? I knew Boyd Eaton, a very impressive guy. He and Konner are at Emory. Eaton is likely in his early 70s now. He first introduced the whole idea of paleolihic life as a guide to better living habits today. The following is a re-cap.
Paleolithic Nutrition

Also, while not paleo per se, I believe that the best blog on low carb information is the one below. Dr. Feinman is Professor of biochemistry at Downstate Medical School in Brooklyn, is very smart and very well informed, and is mostly fed up with the usual bs from the blind eye medical establishment. He also loves freedom, is angry with the control freaks who want to take fat kids away from their parents, tax everything the Commissars don’t want us to eat, and generally muck around in citizens lives.
Richard David Feinman
Old 04-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Also, while not paleo per se, I believe that the best blog on low carb information is the one below. Dr. Feinman is Professor of biochemistry at Downstate Medical School in Brooklyn, is very smart and very well informed, and is mostly fed up with the usual bs from the blind eye medical establishment. He also loves freedom, is angry with the control freaks who want to take fat kids away from their parents, tax everything the Commissars don’t want us to eat, and generally muck around in citizens lives.
Richard David Feinman
He feels that way, AND he lives in the Bloomberg Nanny State? He's going to be dead in less than a year from an aneurism, guaranteed.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
He feels that way, AND he lives in the Bloomberg Nanny State? He's going to be dead in less than a year from an aneurism, guaranteed.
I hope not. His main issues are medical/ carbohydrate/DM/CHD. Maybe he can just shine on the Bloombergians.

Ha