Health: 7 things we were warned to avoid in 2011

tjscott0

Recycles dryer sheets
Two of them were unusual. The second one is especially bad fer cub fans.

Health: 7 things we were warned to avoid in 2011 - Yahoo! News

Staring at a screen before bed ruins your sleep. A National Sleep Foundation study found that 95 percent of Americans gaze at some kind of light-emitting electronic device — be it a smartphone, tablet, computer, or TV — less than an hour before bed, which keeps the brain from releasing the sleep-inducing hormone melatonin. Young people, the heaviest gadget users, are the drowsiest, and their habit "may have serious consequences" for their health, says study author Lauren Hale. Sleep deprivation causes 100,000 car wrecks and 1,550 traffic deaths per year.

Cheering for a losing team could cost you your life. When the Los Angeles Rams lost the Super Bowl in 1980, a new analysis shows, cardiac deaths in L.A. County spiked 15 percent for men and 27 percent for women over the following two weeks. The Rams' victory in the big game four years later had no impact on local health. Many fans see their team as "a family member," says study author Robert Kloner, and become emotionally stressed when it's in trouble. A high-stakes game can increase a passionate fan's pulse rate, raise blood pressure, and potentially "trigger a cardiac event.

I always watch tv and/or suft the internet right up until I go to bed. I almost always go to sleep quickly. The study, like all studies, doesn't apply to everyone. Certainly not to me.

Many fans see their team as "a family member," says study author Robert Kloner, and become emotionally stressed when it's in trouble.

Saints fans here are just plain cuckoo about it. The evening news is likely to be 2 minutes on the war or the election, 1 minute on the weather, and 57 minutes on one of the Saints who has twisted his ankle and might have a sprain, or some such thing. (OK, maybe that is a slight exaggeration, but still!) Since everyone here is a Saints fan except us, people expect us to know all of this. If we don't, they act as though we were space aliens. :D

Two of them were unusual. The second one is especially bad fer cub fans.

Health: 7 things we were warned to avoid in 2011 - Yahoo! News

That's why Cub fans DON'T get stressed--our team never gets into the level of a "A high-stakes game.... [which can] increase a passionate fan's pulse rate, raise blood pressure, and potentially trigger a cardiac event."

I am waiting for smoking to be declared healthy again, like it was in the 50s.

Most of those items suffer from a confusion of correlation and causality.

It sounds like liposuction is recommended for someone with too much fat in one place and not enough in others.

Back
Top Bottom