Health and Kidney Function

Rianne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Article surprised me that 90% of those with CKD do not know they have it. 1 in 3 adults are at risk of gettiing CKD. Because I inherited polycystic kidney disease from DM, I'm checked every 6 months, knew I had this condition years ago. Are PCP checking kidney function? I thought this test was included in yearly physicals.

https://www.kidney.org/news/newsroom/factsheets/KidneyDiseaseBasics

My family has no history of it. However, my PCP orders the "executive panel" on blood at least once a year to screen for this and other organ disorders.

Although my only risk factor so far is being over 60, I'm keeping an eye on my kidney function. My last two fasting blood tests showed a slightly elevated ACR, which the Dr. said could have been due to dehydration. But since this is a new trend, I'm trying to remember to drink more water. Kidneys are nothing to mess with. Mr. A's sister died of kidney failure, with years and years of dialysis before that. We never learned what precipitated it.

All 3 of my siblings have polycystic kidney disease. I was checked in my 30s. I was told if I didn't have cysts by the time I am 30 I don't have it. The weird thing is I have 3 kidneys. Nothing like feeling I am spare parts for my siblings.:LOL:

My ACR is normal but GFR fluctuates from 36-42. That is pretty low and puts me in the 3rd stage CKD. I must say, I follow the recommended diet, take no NSAIDS, drink plenty of fluids (low to no sugar), low salt, exercise regularly, have low to normal BP (naturally, no meds). No supplements or anything that can risk harming kidney function. Nephrologist said this is the best approach to managing kidney function. My DM with PKD (polycystic kidney disease) lived to 93.

All 3 of my siblings have polycystic kidney disease. I was checked in my 30s. I was told if I didn't have cysts by the time I am 30 I don't have it. The weird thing is I have 3 kidneys. Nothing like feeling I am spare parts for my siblings.:LOL:
Lucky you! I listened to a podcast from a surgeon who does organ transplants. He said some people have 5 (yes 5) kidneys from transplants. They just plop the new kidney right in and leave the damaged kidneys there. He had a great sense of humor.

Well blow me away!!!!! A spare. :facepalm:

My ACR is normal but GFR fluctuates from 36-42. That is pretty low and puts me in the 3rd stage CKD. I must say, I follow the recommended diet, take no NSAIDS, drink plenty of fluids (low to no sugar), low salt, exercise regularly, have low to normal BP (naturally, no meds). No supplements or anything that can risk harming kidney function. Nephrologist said this is the best approach to managing kidney function. My DM with PKD (polycystic kidney disease) lived to 93.

I have PKD and am in 3rd stage as well. However if I had not been tested for creatinine about 8 years ago, I would have never known. Even today , I have no symptoms what so ever.
To the OP's point, it is possible to have serious kidney issues and not know it. I would recommend every one get tested for kidney function every time they do their yearly health check.

My father had kidney stones in his early adult years that affected his kidney function after he became type II diabetic. In his 80's, he and my uncle used to go to the dialysis clinic together 3 days a week for 3 hours. They both lasted 4 years until throwing a clot.

I too am type II diabetic, but I'm on an insulin pump and am very stable. I'm attempting to take care of my kidneys as the most dreaded issue would be losing kidney function. Being tied down to a machine is not enjoyable, as they suck the life out of you.

Low kidney function brings consequences to other medical treatment. CT scans with dye and any heavy medication (even some low dose medicines) create kidney issues. One reason I choose Cologuard for colon screening. The prep for colonoscopy is pretty harsh on the kidneys. The kidney issue I have plays a big role in any medical treatment or prescribed meds.

The prep for colonoscopy is pretty harsh on the kidneys. The kidney issue I have plays a big role in any medical treatment or prescribed meds.
This is true. They took some preps off the market they were so harsh.

I once had my executive panel test about a month after a colonoscopy and the kidney numbers were every so slightly higher than my previous years. There was clearly an impact. They've since returned to normal.

Back
Top Bottom