Health & Sense of Purpose

Tekward

Recycles dryer sheets
I was surprised at the size of the impact:

"People with a low purpose in life had a two-fold greater risk of developing Alzheimer's than those who scored high."

"... a 50 percent reduction in stroke, heart attack, and all-cause mortality, for example."

And as always, "It’s important to point out that these studies show an association. They don’t prove that having a high purpose in life is the cause."

Nice article with a link to a simple, free Purpose in Life Test:
Health and Your Purpose in Life | Berkeley Wellness

Thanks! Good article. Scored very high as well. No surprise, just unbelievably blessed.

Pretty sure I don't want to link my email to that site by taking their quiz. Paranoia is my only form of exercise these days.

And as always, "It’s important to point out that these studies show an association. They don’t prove that having a high purpose in life is the cause."

Indeed, I know several people who had a strong sense of purpose through middle-age and ended up with Alzheimer's. And several friends of my mom's in their 90s and early 100s who've just sort of loped along the past few decades and are still quite sharp.

Indeed, I know several people who had a strong sense of purpose through middle-age and ended up with Alzheimer's. And several friends of my mom's in their 90s and early 100s who've just sort of loped along the past few decades and are still quite sharp.

I agree. You have some genetic disposition. Then like my mother you can get a series of TIA's and throw you into dementia. Some just randomly get Alzheimer's in their 50's and are gone by 60.

I don't really know if sense of purpose is all that is needed. Do your best to exercise, keep your mind active and hope that you're one of the lucky ones.

By assigning non-scientific terms like "lacking a sense of purpose" to medical outcomes, such studies unwittingly (or by design?) unfortunately make it sound like Alzheimers and/or dementia are somehow the patient's fault.

It stinks because how many people now have a nugget in their mind that starts to assign blame and not science....

"People with a low purpose in life had ... a 50 percent reduction in stroke, heart attack, and all-cause mortality, for example."

So, Alzheimer's risk is higher, but other illnesses lower. Odd.

My friend that got Alzheimer’s young was brilliant and loved her work in human services. It was heartbreaking when she couldn’t do her job any longer.

By assigning non-scientific terms like "lacking a sense of purpose" to medical outcomes, such studies unwittingly (or by design?) unfortunately make it sound like Alzheimers and/or dementia are somehow the patient's fault.

It stinks because how many people now have a nugget in their mind that starts to assign blame and not science....
Not only that, but "purpose"? Whose purpose? I think they are implying that if one is not in service to a Supreme Being, with a purpose from God to which one must devote one's life, then one will be more likely to suffer from these conditions.

I am agnostic and consequently I have no purpose in that sense. I enjoy my retirement and don't feel a bit bad about having fun all day if that is what I want to do. I have no purpose because I am not a tool to be used by anyone, even a Supreme Being. Instead of being a tool I am simply a human being living a rich and rewarding life that I design for myself, on the fly, as I live it. Honestly, I don't feel that my beliefs (or lack of same) threaten my health in any way.

"People with a low purpose in life had ... a 50 percent reduction in stroke, heart attack, and all-cause mortality, for example."

Maybe due to less stress in life, due to a more Type B personality?

Well said.

Not only that, but "purpose"? Whose purpose? I think they are implying that if one is not in service to a Supreme Being, with a purpose from God to which one must devote one's life, then one will be more likely to suffer from these conditions.

I am agnostic and consequently I have no purpose in that sense. I enjoy my retirement and don't feel a bit bad about having fun all day if that is what I want to do. I have no purpose because I am not a tool to be used by anyone, even a Supreme Being. Instead of being a tool I am simply a human being living a rich and rewarding life that I design for myself, on the fly, as I live it. Honestly, I don't feel that my beliefs (or lack of same) threaten my health in any way.

+1

MY purpose since I was a boy was always to put myself in a position where I wouldn't have to work or worry about money, never have to answer the phone and always have a blank calendar. I reached nirvana and total self-actualization at age 38. I am now 62. Should I have another purpose? Or was one enough? How long do I have to string it along?

Last edited:
MY purpose since I was a boy was always to put myself in a position where I wouldn't have to work or worry about money, never have to answer the phone and always have a blank calendar. I reached nirvana and total self-actualization at age 38. I am now 62. Should I have another purpose? Or was on enough? How long do I have to string it along?

I believe at this point you are to "enter the marketplace with helping hands".:cool:

Last edited:

Yes. And the “eat this to prevent Alzheimers” programs out there can do the same imo.

I don't think that's what the article said. Lower risk for those things was correlated with high purpose.

Like many of you, my passion and sense of purpose comes from posting here.

I believe at this point you are to "enter the marketplace with helping hands".:cool:

Hmmm? Helping hands? Not sure what you mean exactly. If you mean "spread the good word" , I've been trying to do that my whole life but as is discussed here often: Nobody listens. They just want to buy stuff

An ironic article. For the record, I scored high and will die of a heart attack and will clearly remember the experience.

After answering the questions and seeing my results, I think I should update my will.... Soon....

Back
Top Bottom