Health and Vigor As Good As Your Last Meal

tangomonster

Full time employment: Posting here.
Here's an article that says that how we are feeling right now is very much contingent on what we ate for our last meal:

One Meal to Good (or Bad) Health - TIME

Supposedly even just one good meal or one bad can have a significant impact on how we are feeling, depending on the sugars and fats, hour by hour. And it explains why it's so hard to give up junk food (I actually don't find it to be difficult but I know most people do).

So---'fess up. What did YOU have for your last meal? How are you feeling? How much of how you are currently feeling do you think is a result of your last meal?

I had curried chickpeas and spinach over brown rice. Orange for dessert. Water to drink.
I feel great!
But whether it's due to my last meal is up for debate.....

Last edited:
Prime rib at Outback ...

with a loaded baked potato, and a crab-dip appetizer ... oh, yes, and a 22 oz. Fosters.

If our guts were as sensitive as the article implied, the human species would have died out as soon as each member ate a little dirt along with the undercooked venison.

Get a life!

Hmmm - powdered sugar/Bavarian custard center pastry and Apple Fritter with 2 1/2 cups of highly Caffinated black coffee and two hours of B.S./tall tales with the usual suspects(retired old pharts) down at the doughnut shop.

Yesterday's snow didn't stick here in Kansas City - at least not on the roads.

I'll pop a multi vitamin tonight with dinner as a placebo!

heh heh heh - what the heck - you want to eat to live or live to eat? :D.

with a loaded baked potato, and a crab-dip appetizer ... oh, yes, and a 22 oz. Fosters.

If our guts were as sensitive as the article implied, the human species would have died out as soon as each member ate a little dirt along with the undercooked venison.

Get a life!

Ummm---Scooter Guy? Was the "get a life!" comment REALLY necessary? I am working on being less sensitive in real life and online, but that just seems like such a trite comment. As one blogger notes (in regards to an incident where someone wrote a letter that other people didn't agree with):

"Many who disagreed with Lawrence told him to "get a life!"
This smug, trite pseudo zinger was funny and fresh briefly after it hit the big-time on "Saturday Night Live" 20 years ago. In a sketch (script), actor William Shatner used the words as he exploded in baffled frustration at the obsessed fans of his former TV show, "Star Trek."
"Get a life!"--translation, "Go devote your energies to something real and productive!" -- may well be useful advice to science fiction cultists, but very few of us are entitled to dispense it with scorn, given the way we spend our leisure time.
As for Lawrence B., all he did was spend a few minutes dashing off a letter to a newspaper columnist in frustration.
Telling him to "get a life" reveals such a paucity of wit, lack of imagination and inability to offer a reasoned response that I was moved, on the spot, to announce a new rule of engagement: " In any debate, the first person to hurl the insult, `get a life!' is the loser."

Change of Subject - Observations, reports, tips, referrals and tirades | Chicago Tribune | Blog

I was feeling pretty good until I ate 2 (Yes! 2!) fresh apple fritters this morning with a cup of strong black coffee. I usually eat low carb and the sugar/caffeine high felt pretty good for awhile, but now blood sugar is starting to crash. I feel a nap coming on.

Hi Tango, great topic. You caught me after an unusually good breakfast but bad attitude--hope the attitude doesn't override the good food. Really, I ate one cup of coffee with CoffeeMate instead of 1/2 and 1/2; a baked sweet potato with butter, baked apple with cinnamon and a few blueberries on top; a small bowl of granola with 1/2 banana; I'm currently drinking a glass of tap water.

My two fund companies both sent out retirement planners; yesterday I looked one of them over and realized I made a mistake on my Federal Tax (draft) return. So this morning after breakfast I went to re-figure it, got frustrated, but eventually figured I own Uncle Sam $1,147 less than I thought. I get a lot of insight about myself from posting here--I learned to get upset about filling out tax forms at my father's knee. Now I'll go and try to calm myself down and plan another healthy meal for later. Oh and I'll celebrate the $1,147 less to pay!

I noticed when returning from Texas that I felt bloated and weighted down. Could have been from protein/carb overload. Im just not used to eating like that.

Bowl each of Cheerios and Wheat Chex, with skim milk and a banana.

I'd probably feel great if I didn't have a cold...

A large salad with shredded cheddar cheese that has habenero & jalapeño peppers in it, with a chopped-up half boneless marinated grilled chicken breast. No dressing on the salad. A handful of almonds later, that might be it for the day.

I'm one of those who has to be gluten-free. No pizza, no beer. <sob>

How much of how you are currently feeling do you think is a result of your last meal?

Good article which I quite agree with. DW and I have noticed that over the last few years our new eating habits have meant that whenever we do endulge in one of old favorites we feel bloated, gunked up and sluggish. For example I used to love Popeyes fried chicken and biscuits, donuts and apple fritters and occaisionally I will try them because they still are very tempting, but they just don't do it for me any more ....

Was the "get a life!" comment REALLY necessary?

"Many who disagreed with Lawrence told him to "get a life!"
This smug, trite pseudo zinger was funny and fresh briefly after it hit the big-time on "Saturday Night Live" 20 years ago. In a sketch (script), actor William Shatner used the words as he exploded in baffled frustration at the obsessed fans of his former TV show, "Star Trek."
"Get a life!"--translation, "Go devote your energies to something real and productive!" -- may well be useful advice to science fiction cultists, but very few of us are entitled to dispense it with scorn, given the way we spend our leisure time.
As for Lawrence B., all he did was spend a few minutes dashing off a letter to a newspaper columnist in frustration.
Telling him to "get a life" reveals such a paucity of wit, lack of imagination and inability to offer a reasoned response that I was moved, on the spot, to announce a new rule of engagement: " In any debate, the first person to hurl the insult, `get a life!' is the loser."

Change of Subject - Observations, reports, tips, referrals and tirades | Chicago Tribune | Blog

Never mind!

But on post. Breakfast of oatmeal with raisens and walnuts followed by lunch of black bean soup over brown rice. Am I a regular guy or what?

Last edited:
Good article which I quite agree with. DW and I have noticed that over the last few years our new eating habits have meant that whenever we do endulge in one of old favorites we feel bloated, gunked up and sluggish. For example I used to love Popeyes fried chicken and biscuits, donuts and apple fritters and occaisionally I will try them because they still are very tempting, but they just don't do it for me any more ....

Just thinking of eating all that sludge is unappetizing.

About 3 oz of cubed (tenderized) round steak, a salad with no fat ranch dressing, and some brown rice. (Can you tell I'm trying to lose a little weight)

I feel great, though. The only connection I feel between what I eat and how I feel that day is when I overeat. I get sluggish and draggy feeling....

I tried a new cafe in town....famous for their steakburgers. Bring it on, I say! It was a chicken fried steak sandwich as big as my head. :eek: But, it was healthy...it had tomato and lettuce on it. :rolleyes: I ate about a third.

Then went car shopping. Oy, what an afternoon. Just shoot me.:dead:

So---'fess up. What did YOU have for your last meal? How are you feeling? How much of how you are currently feeling do you think is a result of your last meal?

A cup of turtle soup, 1/3 of a fabulous, large grilled chicken caesar salad (split with Frank), German brown bread with herb butter, and unsweetened iced tea, all at Cannon's restaurant on St. Charles Ave. in New Orleans.

Right now I am up at 4 AM when I should be sleeping, but I don't think it's due to my last meal! I have enjoyed the exact same meal many times before without any sleeplessness. I think my insomnia this morning is due to the time change throwing me off.

I used to love Popeyes fried chicken and biscuits, donuts and apple fritters and occaisionally I will try them because they still are very tempting, but they just don't do it for me any more ....

We used to eat Popeye's fried chicken occasionally as a guilty pleasure, but Katrina did me a favor in that dept. After the storm, what help our local Popeye's could hire just didn't bother to clean the restaurant at all. It got extremely filthy very fast with grease and bits of spoiled chicken and bones all over the floors, seats, and tables. It was bad beyond description.

I doubt we will ever want to eat at another Popeye's again (I don't even want to walk inside one again, much less eat there) and that will probably be beneficial to our health.

re So---'fess up. What did YOU have for your last meal? How are you feeling? How much of how you are currently feeling do you think is a result of your last meal?

old habits: all this yrs in the chair in front of the computer and a love of cold beer + pizza + chicken wings and lunches out to escape the daily mess had me 40 lbs overweight. i always felt sluggish. and stressed out.

changes ater FIRE: my pizza craves are handled with homemade vegetarian pizza these days, using boboli shells. i bake my chicken wings myself, no more fried. i only drink NA beer now which is 58 cal, 12 g carbs.

once in a great while, i go for KFC original takeout. that's when the slugs really hit.

i find i am more active now just with everyday house chores. not formal exercise per se, just moving around all day. nice weather will give me biking, swimming, yard work and walking.

ok, last meal. small portions of leftover pizza and leftover oriental steak + peppers + onions + mushrooms over rice. no dessert. i feel great today. i usually forage all day vs making a regular meal. i'm training myself to eat only when hungry and only small amounts. i'm cooking as low fat as i can but not too austere.

it's working! slow but steady weightloss is being achieved.

Last meal? Two baked chicken legs, a pile of green beans, a bowl of chunky fruit in its own juices, and a big heaping mug of water. Yummy.

Oh, yeah, and I topped it off with six Girl Scout cookies over the next hour-- three Samoas and three thin mints. But I'll have eliminated them from the house pretty soon and they won't be a problem anymore.

The meal before that (lunch) was a Wailana Coffee House special fried slab of mahi mahi on a bun with lettuce & tomato, eaten apres-surf (Canoes in Waikiki) with Trombone Al, his wife, and my daughter. Al will be reporting on the rest of the trip in a day or two...

We made a whole wheat pizza with goat cheese and feta with some kalamata olives on it. It was good however it would have been better with bacon on it. Like duh.. I feel like a million bucks today!

We used to eat Popeye's fried chicken occasionally as a guilty pleasure, but Katrina did me a favor in that dept. After the storm, what help our local Popeye's could hire just didn't bother to clean the restaurant at all. It got extremely filthy very fast with grease and bits of spoiled chicken and bones all over the floors, seats, and tables. It was bad beyond description.

I doubt we will ever want to eat at another Popeye's again (I don't even want to walk inside one again, much less eat there) and that will probably be beneficial to our health.

:p I'm sure that should cure anyone of going.

Haven't had it yet. At least I sure hope not. :)

:2funny:

Back
Top Bottom