Join Early Retirement Today

Health and Vigor As Good As Your Last Meal
Old 03-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Health and Vigor As Good As Your Last Meal

Here's an article that says that how we are feeling right now is very much contingent on what we ate for our last meal:

One Meal to Good (or Bad) Health - TIME

Supposedly even just one good meal or one bad can have a significant impact on how we are feeling, depending on the sugars and fats, hour by hour. And it explains why it's so hard to give up junk food (I actually don't find it to be difficult but I know most people do).

So---'fess up. What did YOU have for your last meal? How are you feeling? How much of how you are currently feeling do you think is a result of your last meal?

I had curried chickpeas and spinach over brown rice. Orange for dessert. Water to drink.
I feel great!
But whether it's due to my last meal is up for debate.....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Prime rib at Outback ...
Old 03-08-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Prime rib at Outback ...

with a loaded baked potato, and a crab-dip appetizer ... oh, yes, and a 22 oz. Fosters.

If our guts were as sensitive as the article implied, the human species would have died out as soon as each member ate a little dirt along with the undercooked venison.

Get a life!
ScooterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - powdered sugar/Bavarian custard center pastry and Apple Fritter with 2 1/2 cups of highly Caffinated black coffee and two hours of B.S./tall tales with the usual suspects(retired old pharts) down at the doughnut shop.

Yesterday's snow didn't stick here in Kansas City - at least not on the roads.

I'll pop a multi vitamin tonight with dinner as a placebo!

heh heh heh - what the heck - you want to eat to live or live to eat? .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterGuy View Post
with a loaded baked potato, and a crab-dip appetizer ... oh, yes, and a 22 oz. Fosters.

If our guts were as sensitive as the article implied, the human species would have died out as soon as each member ate a little dirt along with the undercooked venison.

Get a life!
Ummm---Scooter Guy? Was the "get a life!" comment REALLY necessary? I am working on being less sensitive in real life and online, but that just seems like such a trite comment. As one blogger notes (in regards to an incident where someone wrote a letter that other people didn't agree with):

"Many who disagreed with Lawrence told him to "get a life!"
This smug, trite pseudo zinger was funny and fresh briefly after it hit the big-time on "Saturday Night Live" 20 years ago. In a sketch (script), actor William Shatner used the words as he exploded in baffled frustration at the obsessed fans of his former TV show, "Star Trek."
"Get a life!"--translation, "Go devote your energies to something real and productive!" -- may well be useful advice to science fiction cultists, but very few of us are entitled to dispense it with scorn, given the way we spend our leisure time.
As for Lawrence B., all he did was spend a few minutes dashing off a letter to a newspaper columnist in frustration.
Telling him to "get a life" reveals such a paucity of wit, lack of imagination and inability to offer a reasoned response that I was moved, on the spot, to announce a new rule of engagement: " In any debate, the first person to hurl the insult, `get a life!' is the loser."

Change of Subject - Observations, reports, tips, referrals and tirades | Chicago Tribune | Blog
Old 03-08-2008, 01:19 PM   #5

I was feeling pretty good until I ate 2 (Yes! 2!) fresh apple fritters this morning with a cup of strong black coffee. I usually eat low carb and the sugar/caffeine high felt pretty good for awhile, but now blood sugar is starting to crash. I feel a nap coming on.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:33 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Tango, great topic. You caught me after an unusually good breakfast but bad attitude--hope the attitude doesn't override the good food. Really, I ate one cup of coffee with CoffeeMate instead of 1/2 and 1/2; a baked sweet potato with butter, baked apple with cinnamon and a few blueberries on top; a small bowl of granola with 1/2 banana; I'm currently drinking a glass of tap water.

My two fund companies both sent out retirement planners; yesterday I looked one of them over and realized I made a mistake on my Federal Tax (draft) return. So this morning after breakfast I went to re-figure it, got frustrated, but eventually figured I own Uncle Sam $1,147 less than I thought. I get a lot of insight about myself from posting here--I learned to get upset about filling out tax forms at my father's knee. Now I'll go and try to calm myself down and plan another healthy meal for later. Oh and I'll celebrate the $1,147 less to pay!
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:43 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I noticed when returning from Texas that I felt bloated and weighted down. Could have been from protein/carb overload. Im just not used to eating like that.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Bowl each of Cheerios and Wheat Chex, with skim milk and a banana.

I'd probably feel great if I didn't have a cold...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:54 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
I noticed when returning from Texas that I felt bloated and weighted down.
One more reason to steer clear of that place...
Old 03-08-2008, 02:02 PM   #10

A large salad with shredded cheddar cheese that has habenero & jalapeño peppers in it, with a chopped-up half boneless marinated grilled chicken breast. No dressing on the salad. A handful of almonds later, that might be it for the day.

I'm one of those who has to be gluten-free. No pizza, no beer. <sob>
Old 03-08-2008, 02:06 PM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
How much of how you are currently feeling do you think is a result of your last meal?
Good article which I quite agree with. DW and I have noticed that over the last few years our new eating habits have meant that whenever we do endulge in one of old favorites we feel bloated, gunked up and sluggish. For example I used to love Popeyes fried chicken and biscuits, donuts and apple fritters and occaisionally I will try them because they still are very tempting, but they just don't do it for me any more ....
Old 03-08-2008, 02:10 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Nothing slips by you
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 02:19 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Someone has to guard the gates of hell...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 02:21 PM   #14
gone traveling

Quote:
Was the "get a life!" comment REALLY necessary?

"Many who disagreed with Lawrence told him to "get a life!"
This smug, trite pseudo zinger was funny and fresh briefly after it hit the big-time on "Saturday Night Live" 20 years ago. In a sketch (script), actor William Shatner used the words as he exploded in baffled frustration at the obsessed fans of his former TV show, "Star Trek."
"Get a life!"--translation, "Go devote your energies to something real and productive!" -- may well be useful advice to science fiction cultists, but very few of us are entitled to dispense it with scorn, given the way we spend our leisure time.
As for Lawrence B., all he did was spend a few minutes dashing off a letter to a newspaper columnist in frustration.
Telling him to "get a life" reveals such a paucity of wit, lack of imagination and inability to offer a reasoned response that I was moved, on the spot, to announce a new rule of engagement: " In any debate, the first person to hurl the insult, `get a life!' is the loser."

Change of Subject - Observations, reports, tips, referrals and tirades | Chicago Tribune | Blog
Never mind!

But on post. Breakfast of oatmeal with raisens and walnuts followed by lunch of black bean soup over brown rice. Am I a regular guy or what?
honobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 02:24 PM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
steer instead of stear - missed that - nice one
Old 03-08-2008, 02:41 PM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Good article which I quite agree with. DW and I have noticed that over the last few years our new eating habits have meant that whenever we do endulge in one of old favorites we feel bloated, gunked up and sluggish. For example I used to love Popeyes fried chicken and biscuits, donuts and apple fritters and occaisionally I will try them because they still are very tempting, but they just don't do it for me any more ....
Just thinking of eating all that sludge is unappetizing.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:51 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

About 3 oz of cubed (tenderized) round steak, a salad with no fat ranch dressing, and some brown rice. (Can you tell I'm trying to lose a little weight)

I feel great, though. The only connection I feel between what I eat and how I feel that day is when I overeat. I get sluggish and draggy feeling....
Old 03-08-2008, 03:12 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I tried a new cafe in town....famous for their steakburgers. Bring it on, I say! It was a chicken fried steak sandwich as big as my head. But, it was healthy...it had tomato and lettuce on it. I ate about a third.

Then went car shopping. Oy, what an afternoon. Just shoot me.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:13 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So---'fess up. What did YOU have for your last meal? How are you feeling? How much of how you are currently feeling do you think is a result of your last meal?
A cup of turtle soup, 1/3 of a fabulous, large grilled chicken caesar salad (split with Frank), German brown bread with herb butter, and unsweetened iced tea, all at Cannon's restaurant on St. Charles Ave. in New Orleans.

Right now I am up at 4 AM when I should be sleeping, but I don't think it's due to my last meal! I have enjoyed the exact same meal many times before without any sleeplessness. I think my insomnia this morning is due to the time change throwing me off.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:27 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I used to love Popeyes fried chicken and biscuits, donuts and apple fritters and occaisionally I will try them because they still are very tempting, but they just don't do it for me any more ....
We used to eat Popeye's fried chicken occasionally as a guilty pleasure, but Katrina did me a favor in that dept. After the storm, what help our local Popeye's could hire just didn't bother to clean the restaurant at all. It got extremely filthy very fast with grease and bits of spoiled chicken and bones all over the floors, seats, and tables. It was bad beyond description.

I doubt we will ever want to eat at another Popeye's again (I don't even want to walk inside one again, much less eat there) and that will probably be beneficial to our health.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote