Join Early Retirement Today

health care gone nuts!
Old 12-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

health care gone nuts!

our heath care goes up every year. with the next upage it will be just short of 20k.

thats nut. I am 60 and my wife is 57. both in good health. !y wife does take 3 different meds and I think they ding her for 50% add on. I do not even go to the doctor well not much.

We have a 1500 dollar deductable each. Here in CA anthem blue cross is about the only way to go. We have asked for quotes for higher deductable.

Just wondering what you all think about how high heath care is.

Bob
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I couldn't agree more. We're at $14k/yr., but I have gotten a partial subsidy since I retired that pays a portion of that. I'm keeping my expectations really low on it continuing. I'm OK through 2013, but am only 58. Long ways to go!

Even employed folks are getting hit big time. Eaton Corp, a HUGE Co., will only offer a HDHP in 2014, so I'm told. On top of the premiums, you end up paying for everything anyway. We're only a couple of years away from health insurance just covering major medical. When everyone has to pay out of their own pocket, maybe we'll get some savings.

Health insurance has to change, and it is suppose to. If it doesn't, neither companies nor the middle class will be able to afford insurance. Companies are already bailing out of this benefit.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Our 2013 premiums (for 2) are about $8k a year for a high deductible plan (~$6k stacked deductible IIRC) but since we are both healthy our total costs are probably $10-12k a year. The premiums above include a 13% increase over 2012 premiums.

This is less than what my COBRA would have been and less than what I budgeted for when I decided to retire, but I was being intentionally very conservative.

One thing I did do it to create a LLC for my minimal consulting work and the LLC sponsors a small group health insurance plan where the participants (me and DW) pay 100% of the cost, so I was able to get insurance for about 20% less than an individual plan.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:45 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky911 View Post
our heath care goes up every year. with the next upage it will be just short of 20k.

thats nut. I am 60 and my wife is 57. both in good health. !y wife does take 3 different meds and I think they ding her for 50% add on. I do not even go to the doctor well not much.

We have a 1500 dollar deductable each. Here in CA anthem blue cross is about the only way to go. We have asked for quotes for higher deductable.

Just wondering what you all think about how high heath care is.

Bob
That's a lot. It is nuts. The health care status quo stinks.

ETA: Our cost for 2013 will be $20.8K, with $5K deductible each.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:03 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Husband and I both are 57. Our premiums are running $9,408 a year with Anthem Premier $3,500 deductible. (east coast) It is crazy that we are all paying the prices we are paying before we set foot in a doctors office or have a prescription filled. So far we are in good health.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #6

On our BCBS anniversary we received a letter from BCBS stating we had saved $583 on our HC this year. Excuse me, it only cost us $8460.00 to save $583.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:27 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
It is nuts. The health care status quo stinks.
It is nuts! And there are far more cost effective models (at least 30) for us to work toward all around the world, beyond that I won't restate my views. But it's just another of many cans we ALL kick down the road. We're Americans, we know better than everyone else...

We'll do the right thing eventually, but probably only after exhausting all other (unworkable) options - to paraphrase Churchill.

Did anyone see the related segment on 60 Minutes last night? Just one piece of a large, messy puzzle...

Hospitals: The cost of admission - 60 Minutes - CBS News

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Those kinds of numbers are what drove us to move to Mexico until either the Medicaid coverage for lower incomes in ACA kicks in or at least one of us is eligible for SS. Many on this board are far better off, but consider what % of your total income goes to health care premiums (with actual health care of course on top of them!) on a 3% SWR from a $1M portfolio. It can easily be 33%-50% of your draw. Crazy indeed!
kevink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks ,

Looks like I am not the only one. I thought health care reform might help me. I am wondering if these increases are because of health care reform or do we have a big surprize still to come as it kicks in?

I think that someone should have been able to estimate these increased costs. There has to be someone with the numbers sitting at a desk seeing the need for a 25% increase for 2013... and?? 35% increase for 2014..?? and well lets round it off at just double it for 2015 and each year after that.

is it to late to go to med school?

Bob

ps....I thought to skin the cat I would buy stock in my insurance company..it is owned my Wellpoint and is on the exchange...but pays only 1% div and although it has wild swings it is flat for the last three years...where oh where is this money going?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Actually most of the 13% increase in premiums in 2013 compared to 2012 was attributable to mandated expanded benefits (including contraceptives) and are benefits that it is highly unlikely will benefit us, so we are paying more to subsidize others.

I suspect that premiums will skyrocket in 2014 when health care reform becomes more effective but the increase will be partially offset by subsidies.

P.S. I'm not sure that buying health insurance stocks will be an effective hedge. While their sales will likely increase there are also limitations on the profits they can have.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Actually most of the 13% increase in premiums in 2013 compared to 2012 was attributable to mandated expanded benefits (including contraceptives) and are benefits that it is highly unlikely will benefit us, so we are paying more to subsidize others.

I suspect that premiums will skyrocket in 2014 when health care reform becomes more effective but the increase will be partially offset by subsidies.

P.S. I'm not sure that buying health insurance stocks will be an effective hedge. While their sales will likely increase there are also limitations on the profits they can have.
Big cost items for insurance companies, such as coverage for children up to age 26 and mandated preventive care with no cost sharing, were implemented in 2010 and 2011. There are no new measures being implemented in 2013 that affect consumer health plans.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #12

My wife and I are still working. Our premium with our companies' group plans totaled $6000 this year. We paid around $3000 OOP so far. So, this is almost 9K while working.

We thought we could plan to retire after PPACA, but the more we read, the more uncertain we are with so many unknowns. DW said one of us better stay working until at least middle of 2015, then decide.
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky911 View Post
...(snip)...

ps....I thought to skin the cat I would buy stock in my insurance company..it is owned my Wellpoint and is on the exchange...but pays only 1% div and although it has wild swings it is flat for the last three years...where oh where is this money going?
If you look at a broad fund that invests in the health care industry like Vanguard Health Care Fund, it is only slightly better then the SP500 over 10 years. Even the energy sector did better by a lot (VGENX). So I don't think we can lay this on the private companies, at least the broad sector.

When I go to the supermarket, I pay the same price as the other people in line (ignoring coupons and such). Why isn't this a level playing field? Why should people of the same age who work (or retired from) at XYZ get a great deal and others who work for YZX get a bum deal?

This is clearly a political problem but we will not solve it soon. Too many interest groups. And we don't want a political thread here.

So what do you do? ... fight for the best deal for yourself. When you hit Medicare age, things may get relatively better. Unless politicians screw that up even more then it is screwed up already.

P.S. In my case I'm going on Medicare in a few months. Even if they raise the Medicare premium by 100% to around $200/month, the Medigap plans (supplemental plans) available seem to be a lot better (costs + benefits) at the Medicare age point.
Lsbcal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Did anyone see the related segment on 60 Minutes last night? Just one piece of a large, messy puzzle...

Hospitals: The cost of admission - 60 Minutes - CBS News
I did, scary as heck and a good example of why pay for service doesn't work very well.

We pay about 12k in premiums each year (42 & 45). I do have to say I sleep much better at night knowing I don't have to worry about being dropped or hitting the lifetime cap (pre existing conditions) so I don't mind paying a bit more.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I think health insurance here is fine. Our premiums stayed the same as last year, and they expanded the benefits slightly. $40 per month. Nothing broken here. As long as DW keeps working...
Old 12-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
That's a lot. It is nuts. The health care status quo stinks.

ETA: Our cost for 2013 will be $20.8K, with $5K deductible each.
Ouch. Our annual cost for a high deductible HSA eligible HMO plan is about 13K annually. For budgeting purposes I expect that to reach 20K annually in 4 years. (I'll be eligible for Medicare under the current rules in 6 years.) I assume a 12.5% annual increase.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
That might partially explain the 2010 and 2011 hikes I've seen (when the mandated benefits went into effect), but it doesn't explain all the other 10-13% hikes I've gotten over the past decade I've been tracking this. It is a puzzlement...

Ah, well. One more cost doubling, and I'm on Medicare (unless something else changes).
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I see some of you are getting increases from zero to 13%...We were just notified that our plan is going up 25% in feb 2014 oach!
Old 12-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky911
I see some of you are getting increases from zero to 13%...We were just notified that our plan is going up 25% in feb 2014 oach!
Ummm... Looks good to me. Our subsidized retiree coverage increased 265% for 2013. I would love a 25% increase....
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #20

I feel lucky (for now at least) our OOP premiums run about $6K a year for a simple 80/20 retiree plan thru Atena. Wife 58, me 61 and both in reasonably good health, worked for mega corp 32 years and have yet to get the news for the coming year premuim cost.