Join Early Retirement Today
Old 02-19-2008, 07:42 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
What do yo think?

It is likely that a Dem will be elected. Do you think we will have health care reform?
Don't be so's only February, a lot can happen by November. One thing that Obama should do is make sure he has his PLANS fleshed out. Anyone who thinks that Obama can out-debate McCain easily may be premature..........

What should it be:
  1. Universal Health Care (medicare for all). Mandatory inclusion, premiums paid via taxes.
  2. Better Government Assistance and Regulation
    • Laws that make or strongly encourage insurers not exclude people and provide affordable rates? Force insurers to have one large group (same price for all).
    • Better tax laws for individuals with medical bills (100% deductible for each $ spent)
    • Laws and Regulations that encourage Insurers to create more high-deductible options.
    • Medicare and Medicaid negotiate drug prices (no brainer)
  3. Medicare buy-in option with premiums based on income (means test), not health status. Of course, all the insurers would just reject unhealthy people and unload on the government... This probably would not work well.
  4. If none of the above, please describe your approach.
I tend to lean toward option 2... but I am not sure that Insurers will ever cease the redlining. Plus people (insured) will want to wait until they have real health problems to buy-in (anti-selection). Let's face it, insurance is about selling off risk. It is kinda like a utility or a road. The fortunate (healthy) people pay for the unfortunate (unhealthy) people... but all are covered if tragedy strikes (and are not financially ruined).
I think corporate wellness programs should be universal for those who enroll.

Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!