health charges depending on insurance

teejayevans

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We know those with insurance pay less, ie get a discount.
But,
do those with HSA plans pay more/less, ie do they
charge more or less based on type of insurance plan?
Do those with high deductibles pay more or less than
those with low deductibles?
Just curious,
TJ

It's my understanding that whether you have a high or low deductible doesn't make a difference. It's the agreed upon discounted rates between your ins. co. and the health care provider that matters. There are different plans within a single ins.co. Depending on the plan you have will determine your rate irregardless of your deductible.

It's my understanding that whether you have a high or low deductible doesn't make a difference. It's the agreed upon discounted rates between your ins. co. and the health care provider that matters. There are different plans within a single ins.co. Depending on the plan you have will determine your rate irregardless of your deductible.

Agree. The providers don't necessarily know which you have, only that it is Blue Shield, or whatever.

This existence of negotiated charges is one of the reasons I am insisting my sister (who was recently laid off from a small company without COBRA) get coverage even if it is high deductible. I also told her I don't want to be presented with the option of having to write a very large check or watching her go without expensive life-saving treatment. The deductible and the premiums for a high deductible policy aren't inexpensive but they are much cheaper than what catastrophic care would cost for a person without any health insurance. The crazy things we have to consider nowadays for our unemployed family members.

Regarding negotiated charges versus "market" - When I went in for a wellness check this year (I never saw the doc last year so it was time to make an appearance), the lab charges were $265.00. Once the negotiated prices were applied, the balance was $61.93. I only had to pay $50.60 because one of the charges was for a pap which is covered at 100%. Can you believe they are reimbursed only $11.33 for a thin prep pap?

Actually, everything should have been paid since my employer is now covering wellness visits (including lab work) 100% without consideration of the deductible (which is $500). Unfortunately, our claims processor hasn't caught up with the new rules for 2008. Ultimately, I will be refunded the $50.60.

Agree. The providers don't necessarily know which you have, only that it is Blue Shield, or whatever.
thanks, I saw in another forum a post where somebody claimed that
HSAs were bad because you would be charged more.
TJ

thanks, I saw in another forum a post where somebody claimed that
HSAs were bad because you would be charged more.
TJ

You should not be charged more but because HSA's are for high deductible policies only, you may end up having to pay more.

Back
Top Bottom