health insurance

ducky911

Recycles dryer sheets
Well ! I was one of the lucky ones to have my health insurance canceled and replaced with one that's about 400 dollars more a month....great

Now we find out that two of the meds that my wife is on are now not on "the list".

Called the doctors office and they have been getting 100 calls a day from people wanting to change to another med....whatnext?

Last edited:
Well ! I was one of the lucky ones to have my health insurance canceled and replaced with one that's about 400 dollars more a month....great Now we find out that two of the meds that my wife is on are now not on "the list". Called the doctors office and they have been getting 100 calls a day from people wanting to change to another med....whatnext?

Well Ducky, I think in May if an article I read correctly is accurate, they will start the process of determining next years premiums. I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't the "what next?" Since I got a one year extension on my old individual plan, I am getting set up for two big premium jumps at the same time.

Look at the history of the NHS in the UK. It went through many iterations before they got to where it is today, and it still needs some fixing according to the Brits I know. But, I don't know one Brit who would do away with it.

My son is 29 and has his own insurance through his work. He's been on Advair Diskus for asthma since it first came out many years ago. This year's prescription plan puts that medication in it's 3rd tier and he would have to go through their managed step process again and then pay a very expensive price to stay with Advair. Instead his Dr switched him to another medication and gave him a 30 day sample to try.

I hope he can tolerate the change, the Advair worked really well for him.

Look at the history of the NHS in the UK. It went through many iterations before they got to where it is today, and it still needs some fixing according to the Brits I know. But, I don't know one Brit who would do away with it.

While in London visiting our daughter's family DS came from Africa with his (American) fiancee. They thought she had malaria so took her to emergency where were seen quickly, politely, and given thorough blood work. While waiting were even offered tea and a sandwich. When ready to leave, no charges at all. Made follow up appointment too. Turned out not to be malaria, but still. Son in law says when they smell an American they love to lay it on to show what their system can do. Maybe, but still impressive. Daughter has birthed 3 over there, one Cesarian and one with some rather exotic heart problems. Quite satisfied with it all. What's not to like about all that? Then again, they pay something like 40-50% income tax!

Then again, they pay something like 40-50% income tax!

I suspect this is a bit tongue in cheek, but just to set the record straight, the base rate is 20% for taxable incomes up to £32,010. And there is a personal allowance of £9,440 at the zero tax bracket.

50% tax rate does not kick in until taxable income gets above £150,000.

By the time you factor in Federal, State, sales, and property taxes, US taxation is very similar to that in the UK.

Sorry for the slight hijack.

I suspect this is a bit tongue in cheek, but just to set the record straight, the base rate is 20% for taxable incomes up to £32,010. And there is a personal allowance of £9,440 at the zero tax bracket.

By the time you factor in Federal, State, sales, and property taxes, US taxation is very similar to that in the UK.

I spent 14 years in the UK....NHS did fine by me a couple of times. Getting minor things done can be an issue however.

To join onto the slight hijack.....I don't see their tax rates as and issue when we eventually move back (wife is UK). It's just that things you buy normally are taxed to hell and back. Gas for the car you just don't want to know about. 20% VAT on most things you buy.....but at least it isn't added on afterwards like here. If it say 50 Pounds....that's what it costs.

Last edited:

Well (for the record) my son in law is in investment banking and I would guess his income is many times 150,000 pounds!

While in London visiting our daughter's family DS came from Africa with his (American) fiancee. They thought she had malaria so took her to emergency where were seen quickly, politely, and given thorough blood work. While waiting were even offered tea and a sandwich. When ready to leave, no charges at all. Made follow up appointment too. Turned out not to be malaria, but still. Son in law says when they smell an American they love to lay it on to show what their system can do. Maybe, but still impressive. Daughter has birthed 3 over there, one Cesarian and one with some rather exotic heart problems. Quite satisfied with it all. What's not to like about all that? Then again, they pay something like 40-50% income tax!

I am sure your DS would have been happy to pay for his wife's treatment, butI have heard similar stories from others who needed emergency health care while traveling in England and I didn't and don't understand why it should be free to them. Apparently the British government agrees: http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/dec/30/tourists-migrants-to-be-charged-emergency-care-nhs

No one will be turned away from an A&E department in an emergency, but there will be a bill to pay afterwards for patients from overseas. Other changes include extending charging for prescriptions to people from overseas, and requiring them to pay higher charges for services that are subsidised for patients entitled to NHS care, such as optical and dental services.

....At present treatment in hospital A&E departments is free, but any subsequent treatment as a result of admission is chargeable. The changes are aimed at tightening and standardising what is and is not chargeable for primary healthcare.

To add to this, those tax rates and allowances are per person filing. There is no Married Filing Jointly. When we go back to the UK all our after tax investments, that generate about 40% of our income, will be in my wife's name so between us we should minimize taxes quite well. Each person also gets 10,600 GBP free of capital gains tax, then at 18%.

Over the last 10 years we have had various friends and family members have a lot of very successful treatment at the NHS including cancer, heart valve surgery, back surgery, and brain surgery. DW and I have no concerns about the NHS or UK taxes when we return in a few years time.

To add to this, those tax rates and allowances are per person filing. There is no Married Filing Jointly. When we go back to the UK all our after tax investments, that generate about 40% of our income, will be in my wife's name so between us we should minimize taxes quite well. Each person also gets 10,600 GBP free of capital gains tax, then at 18%.

Over the last 10 years we have had various friends and family members have a lot of very successful treatment at the NHS including cancer, heart valve surgery, back surgery, and brain surgery. DW and I have no concerns about the NHS or UK taxes when we return in a few years time.

You just gave a [mod edit] a heart attack.....[mod edit] medicine is evil and can't possibly work....

Last edited by a moderator:
Please, let's keep politics out of this thread.

The OP did not state if their health insurance is a private plan or not. If it is a private plan, you do not have to accept the replacement plan offered by the Big Brother insurance company. The plan they offer you will be one that's in their best interest, not your best interest. Researching plans from other companies on the new Healthcare Marketplace may lead to one that is less expensive and/or offers the coverage you need.

If you are unable to switch plans or unable to change medication, search for free "discount prescription cards" which could offer some savings. You can also search "prescription drug price comparison" for websites that list the price of a drug at various stores.

ACA plan and/or Medicare

Hello, first post here.

I was an early applicant on the State of Connecticut's insurance site Access Health CT. Applied in Oct., received enrollment confirmation in Nov., bill from Anthem Dec. 11 which I paid the same day, and then nothing. First of year came and account had not been debited yet by Anthem. (existing plan with Anthem was one of those not being offered after Jan. 1). Spent several hours trying to communicate with Anthem to get an ID#, ended up complaining to state insurance dept. Payment cleared and cards followed.

In the meantime, with 65th birthday coming in March, I applied for Medicare which was a breeze in comparison. Have also picked an Aetna $0 premium advantage plan.

The question. Our subsidized Anthem plan covers me and wife. Income is based on household, so the amount they want per month from us remains the same weather one or two people are covered. I see no reason for me to drop the Anthem ACA plan. Can I keep both plans? Should I keep both plans?

My son is 29 and has his own insurance through his work. He's been on Advair Diskus for asthma since it first came out many years ago. This year's prescription plan puts that medication in it's 3rd tier and he would have to go through their managed step process again and then pay a very expensive price to stay with Advair. Instead his Dr switched him to another medication and gave him a 30 day sample to try.

Same thing happened to me...

The problem affecting many countries is the cost of the healthcare system. The UK, like the US and several EU countries have skyrocketing national debt. The UK is up to about 88% debt to GDP ratio and rising. People are too complacent thinking things will always be as they have been. Most of the debt from the financial crisis in 2008 was transferred to the governments, keeping economies sluggish. Debt continues to grow and eventually buyers of the debt will be hard to find.
I'm not trying to be all doom and gloom, but it will hurt retirees living on fixed income and unemployment may be quite high as seen in Greece and Spain.

Well ! I was one of the lucky ones to have my health insurance canceled and replaced with one that's about 400 dollars more a month....great

Now we find out that two of the meds that my wife is on are now not on "the list".

Called the doctors office and they have been getting 100 calls a day from people wanting to change to another med....whatnext?

It sounds like you accepted the replacement plan suggested by your insurance company. You might be able to cancel the plan since open enrollment is in effect until March 31. If you can, you could shop around for different insurance on or off the marketplace. You can go on the insurers' websites and look at their Rx formularies. I completely eliminated Blue Cross from my plan choices because I could see that they don't cover two of my Rx.

If you decide to stick with your insurance, check GoodRx.com to find the best price on your wife's Rx.

Hello, first post here.

I was an early applicant on the State of Connecticut's insurance site Access Health CT. Applied in Oct., received enrollment confirmation in Nov., bill from Anthem Dec. 11 which I paid the same day, and then nothing. First of year came and account had not been debited yet by Anthem. (existing plan with Anthem was one of those not being offered after Jan. 1). Spent several hours trying to communicate with Anthem to get an ID#, ended up complaining to state insurance dept. Payment cleared and cards followed.

In the meantime, with 65th birthday coming in March, I applied for Medicare which was a breeze in comparison. Have also picked an Aetna $0 premium advantage plan.

The question. Our subsidized Anthem plan covers me and wife. Income is based on household, so the amount they want per month from us remains the same weather one or two people are covered. I see no reason for me to drop the Anthem ACA plan. Can I keep both plans? Should I keep both plans?

No, your wife's plan will not cover you once you are 65. And be careful of the subsidy you (both of you) are receiving because your individual health insurance costs are going to drop by the amount of the premium that was attributed to you. You are going to get an ugly surprise at tax time for 2014 if you take your current subsidy all year.

It's a bummer that Medicare costs don't figure into the subsidy calculation. I will run into the same situation later this year when DH turns 65.

It sounds like you accepted the replacement plan suggested by your insurance company. You might be able to cancel the plan since open enrollment is in effect until March 31. If you can, you could shop around for different insurance on or off the marketplace. You can go on the insurers' websites and look at their Rx formularies. I completely eliminated Blue Cross from my plan choices because I could see that they don't cover two of my Rx.

If you decide to stick with your insurance, check GoodRx.com to find the best price on your wife's Rx.

DH also checks with Target and Costco before he fills prescriptions.

You can still change plans. Open enrollment is until March.

Truly hope your son does well with the med change.
Generally, I view this too-common HI plan practice as foolish. How much $$$ is lost to extra doc & hospital care when folks deteriorate after being forced off their stable meds?

Generally, I view this too-common HI plan practice as foolish. How much $$$ is lost to extra doc & hospital care when folks deteriorate after being forced off their stable meds?

In terms of cost control I can understand it. The problem is that sometimes this "step therapy" approach doesn't work, and when it doesn't it can be a LOT more costly than staying on the "tier 3" medications to begin with -- not to mention inflicting a lot of unnecessary suffering and problems.

Think about how much more expensive things would be if no one ever paid more out of pocket for brand name drugs than for generics. This is the same concept to a large degree, except that the active ingredients aren't necessarily identical.

You can still change plans. Open enrollment is until March.

Well thanks for all the info. Here is an update. Athem will cover rx off the list if the doctor fills out a form saying you have to be on that med.

To get info you have to call anthem and be on hold for as low as 30 min and more likely 90 min....to figure this out it has taken 5 phone calls....not happy with them.

I may look to change down the road. The funny thing is I have the bronze plan so basically I am paying for most everything out of pocket..but if the insurance covers the med it is at the discounted price but if it is not the the list pharmacy demands full retail.

So question...Why do pharmacies have these retail prices now that everyone has insurance? I think that it should be one price for everyone.

So question...Why do pharmacies have these retail prices now that everyone has insurance? I think that it should be one price for everyone.

Why did they (doctors, hospitals, pharmacies, etc) EVER have a two-tiered system that basically screws the uninsured who typically can least afford it! For the last 5 years, the main purpose of our very high deductible policy has been to keep from paying rack rate. Frustrating beyond description!

Back
Top Bottom