Join Early Retirement Today

Health insurance for non US Citizen
Old 03-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Health insurance for non US Citizen

OK.. I have not seen this discussed before, but my situation has changed and I can not find anything on the web easily...

My wife is talking about moving her mother from a foreign country to live with us or near us... there is no way that I can see she would qualify for Medicare... I have looked at some of the sites for insurance and when you put in a birthdate that shows you are over 65 they seem to put you in a Medicare plan...

So, does anybody know what insurance would cost? How I can figure it out? Some sites?

This might or might not happen, just want to get some info before DW goes down a road and we find a big wall in the way after some decisions are made....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #2

TP, since she is not here in the US, you might consider submitting an application for permanent residency. She should not have any difficulty since she is a family member. With a green card she can enroll in Medicare, but would have to pay for part A.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
TP, since she is not here in the US, you might consider submitting an application for permanent residency. She should not have any difficulty since she is a family member. With a green card she can enroll in Meidcare, but would have to pay for part A.

Do you know the cost for Part A?

Yes, we would have her get a green card if she chose to come... but when I looked at the Medicare site they did not list that she would be eligable... only people who worked for a certain amount of quarters...

PS... my wife just went to her citizenship swearing in ceremony last week!!! She saw that she could get her mother a green card with no problem, so that is one of the reason it came up. So far, MIL is not thinking about it right now for other reasons.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

http://www.medicare.gov/cost/

Medicare Premium Hospital (Part A) is $451, and Part B is 99.90 (more for higher income folks).

It's a pretty good deal. My HMO has a price for non-medicare coverage for 65 and older of about $1260/month as a high deductible plan. (I don't know if one can actually buy it, or if it's just a fill-in-the-blank artifact that nobody can actually qualify for.) A much lower deductible Medicare Advantage plan is about $180/month plus the (Part A) cost normally paid out via the Medicare program to the insurer.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Do you know the cost for Part A?

PS... my wife just went to her citizenship swearing in ceremony last week!!! She saw that she could get her mother a green card with no problem, so that is one of the reason it came up. So far, MIL is not thinking about it right now for other reasons.
Congratulations to your wife!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
2012 Medicare Costs, Medicare.gov - the Official U.S. Government Site for Medicare

Medicare Premium Hospital (Part A) is $451, and Part B is 99.90 (more for higher income folks).

It's a pretty good deal. My HMO has a price for non-medicare coverage for 65 and older of about $1260/month as a high deductible plan. (I don't know if one can actually buy it, or if it's just a fill-in-the-blank artifact that nobody can actually qualify for.) A much lower deductible Medicare Advantage plan is about $180/month plus the (Part A) cost normally paid out via the Medicare program to the insurer.
That is a very good price.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Yes, we would have her get a green card if she chose to come... but when I looked at the Medicare site they did not list that she would be eligable... only people who worked for a certain amount of quarters...
This was my understanding too from researching on the interrnet. I don't have direct experience with it but I know a friend whose parents are permanent residents (over 65) but dont have Medicare. They purchase limited payment (around $50K policy) insurance that doesnt cover pre-existing. After some recent bigger health issues they had to return to their home country. Luckily, it was something where they were allowed to travel.
For MA residents it may be easier. Of course if Obamacare survives, it might help.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Look deeper

That is a great price!! but when I looked onto the above given site, it is available only for people who are American citizens or who have spent 5 yrs in this country as green card holders.

(How I wish, if they could make make the same deal available for people under age 65, I guess that is how a government works)

Thanks and regards
Old 03-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Does she have any health issues? PCIP doesn't require US residency. I have several clients with over-65 non-US-citizen parents paying $300-400/mo for health insurance. www.pcip.gov

Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote