Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Health Insurance Premium Deductibility?
Old 01-14-2015, 10:53 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
SteveNU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 313
Health Insurance Premium Deductibility?

I have a HDHP through my old company with an HSA. My health insurance premiums are paid as a deduction from my pension post tax. Are the premiums deductible if they exceed the 10% AGI limit? Also I would assume any other copays or deductibles that I did not reimburse from the HSA would be deductible too?

2014 was my first full year of retirement so I never had to deal with this before as my health care expenses were never close to meeting the threshold for deductibility. I'm just trying to figure out if I am reading things correctly.
__________________

__________________
SteveNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2015, 11:17 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNU View Post
I have a HDHP through my old company with an HSA. My health insurance premiums are paid as a deduction from my pension post tax. Are the premiums deductible if they exceed the 10% AGI limit? Also I would assume any other copays or deductibles that I did not reimburse from the HSA would be deductible too?

2014 was my first full year of retirement so I never had to deal with this before as my health care expenses were never close to meeting the threshold for deductibility. I'm just trying to figure out if I am reading things correctly.
Yes, I believe health insurance premiums count towards what can be deducted for medical expenses if they exceed 10% of AGI.

This article confirms.7 Rules For Deducting Medical And Dental Expenses - Forbes
__________________

__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:31 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,982
A little OT, but in doing a first cut of our taxes, I noticed that the portion of DH's SS subject to taxation is net of the premiums deducted from his SS for Medicare B and D. This was his first year on Medicare. A small benefit, but I'll take it. I also realized that I better not include Medicare B and D premiums in the calculation for our Medical Expense deduction.
__________________
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:02 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
A little OT, but in doing a first cut of our taxes, I noticed that the portion of DH's SS subject to taxation is net of the premiums deducted from his SS for Medicare B and D. This was his first year on Medicare. A small benefit, but I'll take it. I also realized that I better not include Medicare B and D premiums in the calculation for our Medical Expense deduction.
Wow, this is good to know. I didn't realize Medicare premiums were considered pre-tax.

How does this affect paying for them out of your HSA then? I had planned on using the HSA for paying Medicare part B and D premiums. They say you can use it for that purpose.

Well, we'll probably start Medicare before we start SS, and thereafter I only expect SS to cover our Medicare premiums, but it's good to know that it lowers your taxable AGI.
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:08 PM   #5
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,445
Medicare B and D are deductible expenses and eligible for HSA withdrawal.
__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:20 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Medicare B and D are deductible expenses and eligible for HSA withdrawal.
Right. It's just that it's interesting that you aren't taxed on the part of your SS income that goes to pay for them either. So they are double tax-free in that case?
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:38 AM   #7
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
A little OT, but in doing a first cut of our taxes, I noticed that the portion of DH's SS subject to taxation is net of the premiums deducted from his SS for Medicare B and D. This was his first year on Medicare. A small benefit, but I'll take it. I also realized that I better not include Medicare B and D premiums in the calculation for our Medical Expense deduction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Right. It's just that it's interesting that you aren't taxed on the part of your SS income that goes to pay for them either. So they are double tax-free in that case?
I checked, and it is unfortunately not so. Sorry.

From Form SSA-1099 Box 5, the amount reported and used to determine taxable benefits, is "Box 3 minus box 4", Box 3 is the sum of "Benefits paid by check or deposit plus Medicare Part B premiums deducted from your benefits" and Box 4 is "Benefits repaid".
__________________

__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Still confused about IRA deductibility related to MAGI Mr._Graybeard Health and Early Retirement 9 12-20-2014 07:19 AM
Health Insurance Premium from $286 to $386 TromboneAl Health and Early Retirement 41 02-21-2010 09:04 AM
Health insurance premium increase Zoocat Health and Early Retirement 12 08-09-2009 08:26 AM
NJ: Health insurance premium up by 15% walkinwood Health and Early Retirement 0 04-02-2009 03:56 PM
HELOC Interest Deductibility Question grumpy Other topics 2 10-25-2004 06:13 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:00 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.