Join Early Retirement Today

Health Insurance Premium from $286 to $386
Old 02-01-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Health Insurance Premium from $286 to $386

Blue Cross says DW's premium will rise from $286 to $386/month . We'll switch her to their new $7,500 deductible plan, and it will rise to only $309/month. We'll save $924/year in premiums, so if she stays under $5K per year in expenses most years it will probably be worth it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
gone traveling

Health insurance rates under discussion on BH's:

Bogleheads :: View topic - Health Insurance Premium just went way up=
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Man, that's a big increase.

We have our insurance with United Health care through Megacorp's retiree program. Our premium didn't increase this year, but I noticed the deductible went from $2300 to $2400. I have a feeling I'm going to hold my breath each year waiting for the renewal info.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Man, that's a big increase.

We have our insurance with United Health care through Megacorp's retiree program. Our premium didn't increase this year, but I noticed the deductible went from $2300 to $2400. I have a feeling I'm going to hold my breath each year waiting for the renewal info.
My individual premium with UHC went up 20% in 2009.
You're lucky to have your MegaCorp program.
TJ
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
My individual premium with UHC went up 20% in 2009.
You're lucky to have your MegaCorp program.
TJ
20%...crap.

Yeah I agree we're fortunate. But it took a lot of years with Megacorp to get this benefit. I've got my eyeballs crossed hoping we'll always have it. Sometimes I think only the Shadow knows...
Old 02-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

My insurance premium is a little over $419. That's for me only and that's under COBRA. At the end of the year when I'm off Cobra it almost doubles.
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

COBRA for DW and I went up 11.2% That's for a Kaiser HMO, though.

We have to exhaust COBRA to get onto the 'continuation' coverage, as we have been declined for other coverage. We did get DD onto an HSA plan.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Reading this makes me feel fortunate. My premium (BC/BS HSA) went up about 6% from last year.
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Reading this makes me feel fortunate. My premium (BC/BS HSA) went up about 6% from last year.
And I feel even more fortunate! My BC/BS PPO premium only went up 2.7% over last year's!

(My BC/BS is the retiree coverage through my former employer...same policy as when I was still working, except I pay 25% of the premium instead of the the employees' 20%.)
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:55 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
ditto - our megacorp plan stayed the same this year for the 3rd year in a row, but they said it will go up next year. I pay $80/month for DW and myself - $30 co-pays for Dr visits.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:19 AM   #11

I got my notice yesterday that my HDHP w/HSA $5k deductible would be going up from $307 to $340, a 10.75% increase. Me, single male turning 53 in April, non smoker normal BP, cholestrol, sugar etc.

If I extrapolate the numbers and see a 10% increase in Health Insurance premiums while giving myself a 3% raise in income each year I will go from insurance premiums being 11% of my annual spending to 24%!
Old 02-02-2010, 07:26 AM   #12

My Kaiser HMO went up 9% this year.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:46 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Our Megacorp premium insurance for me and DW went from $108 to $467 per month but that is mostly because they no longer offer the high deductible plan that we had for the past 5 years. They also started a new wellness program where, like a trained monkey, you have to fill out surveys, call the wellness program hotline, participate in "programs" in order to get reduced deductibles. This program is for both active employees and retirees (like me).

I am not sure why they dropped the high deductible plan ("basic option") but I suppose they would say something like "we really care about your health -- so you can be a more effective employee" (retirees just tag along with what the employees get). Perhaps they would say that they noticed that employees and retirees with the basic option don't get physicals or "preventative care" which they now make 100% paid with no deductible under the $467/month plan.

We are not thrilled with the change as the high deductible plan saved us thousands each year. Megacorp says that the total cost (employee and Megacorp) is now over $18,000 per year now for family coverage.
dlhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:38 AM   #14

My Anthem plan went from $72/month to $81/month....not bad.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
My Anthem plan went from $72/month to $81/month....not bad.
12.5% increase. Not a good sign.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
12.5% increase. Not a good sign.
12.5% is better than 20 or 25%.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:39 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
12.5% is better than 20 or 25%.
When people can be conditioned into thinking a 12.5% annual increase isn't bad, we have a real problem.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:41 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
When people can be conditioned into thinking a 12.5% annual increase isn't bad, we have a real problem.
We still have to deal with reality, and the reality is that the average increase is between 15-25%....so 12.5% isn't that bad. My policy is also a HDHP compatible with HSA, which keeps the rate increases down on a percentage basis. A lower percentage increase of a lower priced policy will have much less effect than a co-pay plan with a $500 deductible, which could have a 25% increase of a much higher payment.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:45 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I'd rephrase it: 12.5% is bad, but not as bad as many are seeing. But I still say that when we can view 12.5% as a "not bad" increase, the system is broken.

Having said that, my employer-based HDHP rose only 5% this year after dropping about 5% last year. We're paying about the same as we did in 2008.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I'd rephrase it: 12.5% is bad, but not as bad as many are seeing. But I still say that when we can view 12.5% as a "not bad" increase, the system is broken.

Having said that, my employer-based HDHP rose only 5% this year after dropping about 5% last year. We're paying about the same as we did in 2008.
Sounds like you're in good shape with your employer HDHP if you're still paying the same rate as 2 years ago. If your employer had a $0 deductible co-pay plan that covers everything under the sun, you'd probably be paying 4x the rate you're paying now. If we completely got rid of co-pays and required full cost-sharing like every single other type of insurance that has a deductible, we could stop the 12.5% (or 20%, or 25%, or 50%, etc) increases....but nobody likes that, everyone wants something for nothing.