Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 01:44 PM   #101
Administrator

Folks, the discussion of costs and alternatives to healthcare insurance is interesting, so let's keep on that theme and not let politics or election issues creep into the discussion.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2016, 02:02 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxiemama View Post
I use a Co-Op that is accepted by ACA meaning no penalty. There are three Co-Ops accepted by ACA. I pay $150 per month and have a $500 per incident "Cost-Share"....
Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
Here is what I had in mind when I mentioned the 'third option' - combining non-ACA-compliant health insurance with the ACA non-participation tax penalty to lower my overall insurance costs. Could this work? I don't know, but it's worth exploring for 2017.

https://resources.ehealthinsurance.c...ness-insurance
Scary. What if you have a major illness or medical emergency and the total medical bills are $500,000? How much of that bill would be covered? How much would you have to pay?

True... you're saving $8-12k a year or so in premiums but you are putting EVERYTHING that you have at risk.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 08-09-2016, 03:13 PM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Scary. What if you have a major illness or medical emergency and the total medical bills are $500,000? How much of that bill would be covered? How much would you have to pay?

True... you're saving $8-12k a year or so in premiums but you are putting EVERYTHING that you have at risk.
I would purchase a critical illness policy (CIP) for catastrophe-impact-reduction, not risk elimination. The question is whether the amount of impact reduction is worth the CIP premium. At this point, this is all hypothetical because I don't know if any reputable carriers offer CIPs in Florida, and if so, many other details would need to be examined before I would go this route.

One nice thing about the market for CIPs is that it may be largely unregulated. I've been purchasing health insurance in the private market since 2007, so I'm comfortable playing in a relatively unregulated space.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:14 PM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

Just got notified today that our company retiree health insurance is going to be dropped at the end of this year. We will have to get private insurance. The good news is that the company will provide a $6500 per person subsidy.

Right now we are paying about $14,000 for premiums and deductibles/oop. A quick look at the offerings in our state (CT) shows the cost to be around $24-$28k +- for somewhat comparable coverage. So our costs will probably stay about the same as they are now for worse coverage and the hassle of shopping for new coverage.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 08-09-2016, 04:24 PM   #105
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I have unlimited coverage through the Co-Op. I participate in "Brothers Keeper" and it adds about $100 per year to the cost. I am in the "Gold" program $150 per month. The other programs do have a limit on coverage. Gold with Brother's Keeper is unlimited coverage:

Brother's Keeper
Old 08-09-2016, 05:41 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

I assume that Brother's Keeper is not a licensed insurer... what happens if it has a run of claims and is unable to pay yours?

Old 08-09-2016, 06:14 PM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

I am very interested in the CO_OP with Brother's Keeper...... I have been to the web page, but do not quite understand how any bills are paid if and when you require medical services ....... How do you get the $$$ from the CO_OP to pay the bills??
Old 08-09-2016, 06:23 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeRat1 View Post
I am very interested in the CO_OP with Brother's Keeper...... I have been to the web page, but do not quite understand how any bills are paid if and when you require medical services ....... How do you get the $$$ from the CO_OP to pay the bills??
I found this article on a similar arrangement interesting.

Quote:
Each time Ms. Bixby visited her hospital for tests or chemotherapy, she explained that she was a self-pay patient and a member of a cost-sharing ministry. Sometimes the receptionist nodded; sometimes she got a blank stare. The hospital never denied her treatment, but “I was getting a two-inch stack of bills every month, and threats that they would take me to collections,” she told me.
Christian Healthcare Ministries assigned her case to a “member advocate,” who negotiated discounts on her fees. These counted toward Ms. Bixby’s $5,000 deductible, so she paid out of pocket only for office visits. In the end, the ministry persuaded the hospital to lop $220,900 off a bill of $301,540 and reimbursed or paid directly the remaining $80,640.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/01/op...alth-care.html
Old 08-09-2016, 06:38 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Interesting, "but the ministry makes no guarantees of payment" got my attention. It's nice that they have been able to negotiate some great discounts for their members, but I wonder about how many instances where the providers refused to play ball and the person got stuck with large medical bills to pay happen and we don't hear about those.

An interesting approach, but not a substitute for health insurance, where legitimate claims are paid, insurers are required to have adequate reserves and capital and state guaranty funds (and an ability to collect taxes from solvent insurers) stand behind insurers who become insolvent.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:50 PM   #110
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeRat1 View Post
I submit a claim to CHM and they pay me directly and then I pay the provider.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:55 PM   #111
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Interesting, "but the ministry makes no guarantees of payment" got my attention. It's nice that they have been able to negotiate some great discounts for their members, but I wonder about how many instances where the providers refused to play ball and the person got stuck with large medical bills to pay happen and we don't hear about those.

An interesting approach, but not a substitute for health insurance, where legitimate claims are paid, insurers are required to have adequate reserves and capital and state guaranty funds (and an ability to collect taxes from solvent insurers) stand behind insurers who become insolvent.
Your opinion not mine. I am happy with this option. The doctor I see has a practice full of CHM patients. Many have had surgery, all claims have been paid. Insurance companies also get great discounts so CHM tries to not pay more than insurance companies have to pay. It is great to have options!
Old 08-10-2016, 06:48 AM   #112
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Milk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I don't know that there are any bad guys. Perhaps the doctor making $300,000 a year, but she likely spent a lot of effort getting to that point. Maybe the drug manufacturer who lost all of their investor's money trying to get a drug through billion dollar trials is the bad guy?
Maybe the consumer who sues at the drop of a hat is also a culprit, who FORCE the drug companies to get through those trials.
Every day on my way to work there is a popular commercial from a local law firm encouraging anyone who ever used baby powder to join a class action against J&J. Even if your not sick, just in case you develop cancer in the future.
It's an all around broken system

Anyhoo,
I have retiree medical from mega corp.
I'm single with 2 college students on my plan.
$8000k annually. 2500 deductible. No copays, includes dental

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 08-10-2016, 07:05 AM   #113
Give me a forum ...

One other thing that plagues DW & I is the fact every year things potentially change, prices go up, rules change, one has to re-apply, potential dropping of coverage. Makes it very hard for the FIREd folk to do financial planning.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:13 AM   #114
Give me a forum ...

I count our blessings that our health insurance plan has been very stable and the premium increases have been relatively modest.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:37 AM   #115
Administrator

We're in South Florida and so far have been fortunate. There are more insurance options in this state than just about anywhere else in the US. We've changed plans each year, allowing us to continue to find excellent coverage without suffering the major price increases elsewhere. I expect that to end now, and for the next enrollment period plan on a 2x increase in premium, but thankfully that will only affect me, as DW enrolls in Medicare.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:49 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
We're in South Florida and so far have been fortunate. There are more insurance options in this state than just about anywhere else in the US. We've changed plans each year, allowing us to continue to find excellent coverage without suffering the major price increases elsewhere. I expect that to end now, and for the next enrollment period plan on a 2x increase in premium, but thankfully that will only affect me, as DW enrolls in Medicare.
Michael:

We live in NE Florida, our current payment for both of us is $341pm with Florida Blue after subsidies. We are living off our Post Tax nest egg to keep income low and NOT taking anything from our IRA's. Our Post Tax positions are about 60% of our total stash.

I hope the premiums do not double for 2017 $682.... Our plan is with Florida Blue HMO that has worked out VERY well this year so far. Plan Number 1477b.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:36 AM   #117
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Michael:

We live in NE Florida, our current payment for both of us is $341pm with Florida Blue after subsidies. We are living off our Post Tax nest egg to keep income low and NOT taking anything from our IRA's. Our Post Tax positions are about 60% of our total stash.

I hope the premiums do not double for 2017 $682.... Our plan is with Florida Blue HMO that has worked out VERY well this year so far. Plan Number 1477b.
I expect our premium to double because our current insurer, Humana, will not offer this policy next year, and the only remaining option (for a national network) will be a BCBS "BlueOptions" plan that, after a 9.8% price increase plus the age adjustment, will cost double what we are currently paying. Nothing I can do about this except suck it up for another 22 months. Such is life ..

BCBS Fl has proposed increases of 11.6% for BlueSelect and 9.8% for BlueOptions. I didn't see a separate rate request for FloridaBlue HMO, but it should be in the same range as the other FL-BCBS products. Your cost depends on the premium assistance calculation, which in turn is based on the 2od lowest silver, so that adds some complication, but it should not be a "budget breaking" increase.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:42 AM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
.... Nothing I can do about this except suck it up for another 22 months. Such is life .. ....
The price of freedom!

Old 08-10-2016, 08:51 AM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The price of freedom!
Canada is free too.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:54 AM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Until you do your tax return.

Closed Thread