Join Early Retirement Today

Health insurance rate increase
Old 12-16-2008, 10:59 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Health insurance rate increase

I've been with AETNA for 2 years. I haven't filed any claims for anything other than routine preventative care. They are trying to raise my premium by 22% next year after only a tiny increase last year. A relative who is an insurance agent says that this is fairly common. Has anyone else seen this behavior by their medical insurer?

A few options occur to me:
1) AETNA is hoping I won't notice the increase.
2) After 2 years, AETNA has more trouble denying coverage based on an accusation of an undisclosed pre-existing condition. So, longer-term customers are more risky. I would have to read the policy to see if this makes sense.
3) They are hoping I've fallen in love with my current medical providers, and are thus reluctant to change just to save a few bucks.
4) They are just being greedy.

In any case, I'm dumping them. I'm just curious whether others have seen this.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2008, 11:05 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Actually, whether or not you've filed medical claims is pretty much irrelevant -- unlike auto insurance or homeowners insurance. Your increase is based on the history of the entire tier of insureds which includes you.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:18 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

If you get coverage through your employer, and assuming this is a large company, changing is no big deal. However, if you are buying as an individual in the open market, every time you change, the new carrier has the right to choose not to insure you, and most do not provide coverage for pre-existing conditions. Such a condition includes anything you have been treated for before.
SteveL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
Such a condition includes anything you have been treated for before.
Or, in some cases, should have been treated for before.
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:22 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Premium changes are erratic and have run in the 12% increase range over the past decade. But volatility persists, so plan aggressively.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:37 PM   #6

So far the only increase I've seen for the new year is the Co-Pay which went up 10%. I'm sure I'll get the increase on the premium in Jan.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:46 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

The problem with shopping around for medical insurance is the arduous application process. I'm into year 2 of purchasing my own medical insurance. I saw a 20% increase at the 1 year mark. I have toyed with the idea of applying for coverage again with another company to see what premiums I can get.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:55 PM   #8

The premiums for my health insurance (which I have through my former employer....for life) are going up 12%, beginning 1-1-09. It only went up ~4% this past January. I only have to pay 25% of the premium ($152 now....$171 starting Jan. 1st), and my former employer picks up the other 75%. Even with the yearly increases, it's still a lot cheaper than if I had to go out and foot the bill on my own! (esp. with pre-existing cr*p)

It includes full medical, dental, and prescriptions ($4 generics & $20 brand-name for 30 days worth at the pharmacy.....if I do mail order through the insurance co. it's 90 days worth for $10 for generics and only $20 for 90 days supply of name-brand). My prescriptions alone make the premiums worth it...w/o the card they'd be just short of $200/month. Mail order is $160 (for both name-brand prescriptions per year!

In the 30+ years that I worked, I only recall 1 or 2 years where the ins. premiums didn't go up. And only 1 year where they actually dropped a few bucks!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:57 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
The premiums for my health insurance (which I have through my former employer....for life)
OUCH! That's the sound of my wounds getting salt poured into them...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:50 PM   #10

i posted similar frustration here not even a year, yet another insurance cost increase .

i was fully expecting another rate increase by the end of the year though i've yet to receive notice. my next step is to increase the deductible (i never use the stupid thing anyway), then find new insurance company, then head overseas.

though just getting a job solves this problem. who knew retirement would be so much work. one of the best advantages of early retirement is that there's still plenty of time to start a whole new career.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:32 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Some of these erratic rate increases have to do with the company that sells your company health insurance. Its a scam I lived with for years as the president of a medium-sized company.

The local company that sells health (and life) insurance gets a commission from the insurance carrier when they sell a policy. Then, for two years you don't hear from the salesmen. Suddenly you get a huge rate increase.

Instantly, the insurance salesman comes to your office as says, "Your insurance carrier is too expensive, but we have a company that can give you just as good coverage at a lower price." Of course, this sounds to me, so I change health insurance carriers. The insurance salesman gets a big commission, and the insurance carrier gets rich charging an exorbitant rate to all those customers who were too apathetic to change carriers.
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:59 AM   #12

AFAIK, the insurance salesmen don't have any influence on premiums. It's true that they make money when a client changes carriers (which is why my relative/salesman is continually pushing his clients - including me - to change carriers). So, it looks to me like the insurance salespeople are accidental beneficiaries of insurance company greed (as opposed to actively colluding with the insurance companies they represent).
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:53 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I think I'm lucky. My health insurance via Southwest Pa's Highmark Blue Shield went up 80 cents/month. Per rate increase approved by PA insurance department. Hope the current bill is not a misprint.

I have post COBRA individual policy.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:35 PM   #14

My private Anthem HSA insurance premium went down a few percent after year 1, and stayed about the same after year 2.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote