Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #101

The California calculator seems to give the same result as the Berkeley calculator, the same as the KFF calculator but with less granularity. The premium levels do not seem out of line to me. They are expensive, but actually a bit less than current policies with limited underwriting for the same age range.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2013, 10:57 AM   #102
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You think maybe comments like these might have had something to do with it?

you know i put in the quote about covering more people.

does anybody here think the affordable care acts primary purpose is to get more people covered?

Old 03-30-2013, 11:01 AM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post

does anybody here think the affordable care acts primary purpose is to get more people covered?
I don't believe the politics behind the ACA are a subject for discussion on this forum.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:01 AM   #104
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
You think maybe comments like these might have had something to do with it?
So if any politics crept in in a thread, should that alone abort a very important discussion? Because if it is true that the health insurance premium can amount to 30% of the amount people plan to withdraw to fund the retirement, it needs to be confirmed that it is not a misunderstanding or exaggeration. ( I suppose Michael B just said that the calculator does not appear to be way off base ) Like I said, if that is true, people have to budget very differently or change the withdrawal rate to not go above a critical level.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:04 AM   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi688 View Post
So if any politics that crept in in a thread should abort a very important discussion? Because if it is true that the health insurance premium can amount to 30% of the amount people plan to withdraw to fund the retirement, it needs to be confirmed that it is not a misunderstanding or exaggeration. Like I said, if that is true, people have to budget very differently or change the withdrawal rate to not go above a critical level.
So far this thread has been civil and enlightening. It would be a shame for people to drag partisan politics and Porky into it, wouldn't it?
Old 03-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #106
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
So far this thread has been civil and enlightening. It would be a shame for people to drag partisan politics and Porky into it, wouldn't it?

bestwife ever-we need you to start a new aca thread.i will keep my comments straight on facts
Old 03-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #107
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
bestwife ever-we need you to start a new aca thread.i will keep my comments straight on facts
I'm glad you started a new thread. I am reading about the ACA but really don't have anything to say about it .
Old 03-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #108
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Whether or not they've succeeded is a matter of debate, but they definitely haven't seceded.
I got a notice that the Texas Health Risk pool will be wound down next year - maybe as early as Jan 2014. It depends on the TX legislature, of course. This affects your family too, no?

I read somewhere that some states were scrambling to wind down their risk pools sooner rather than later because there is more "transition money" available sooner rather than later. (not sure of the terminology).
Old 03-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I got a notice that the Texas Health Risk pool will be wound down next year - maybe as early as Jan 2014. It depends on the TX legislature, of course. This affects your family too, no?

I read somewhere that some states were scrambling to wind down their risk pools sooner rather than later because there is more "transition money" available sooner rather than later. (not sure of the terminology).
Policies on the state exchange satisfy the same need as the risk pool, so there is no need for both. I would expect to see this happen everywhere there is a risk pool.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
It makes sense that rates should rise.
  • The elimination of lifetime caps
  • Not being able to screen people for pre existing conditions
  • limitations of being able to increase rates based on age
  • Substantially increasing the procedure and benefits (e.g. free contraception.)

All of these increase the cost for an insurance company to provide medical insurance. Now the quality of the product is higher so it certainly makes sense for the cost to be.

How much of an increase in premium we will see I have no idea, but they almost certainly will rise.
+1

While one can always argue that the increased benefits are necessary and justified, they will cost money. Out of the gate, there is little being done to control or reduce costs. Maybe something will happen later. Until then, higher rates seem to be the logical outcome.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
My recollection is that FL is one of the states that has an elected insurance commissioner (most are appointed by the state's governor). You have what the electorate paid for.
Having the govenor appoint various commissioners works out real well for us here in Illinois since the governors are always subject matter experts and well known for their honesty and integrity.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Policies on the state exchange satisfy the same need as the risk pool, so there is no need for both. I would expect to see this happen everywhere there is a risk pool.
No state exchange in TX.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:03 PM   #113

Quote:
No state exchange in TX.
There will be a state exchange, run by the federal gov't.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:07 PM   #114
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, DW went on Medicare this month so thankfully we don't have to be concerned about finding her a policy once the TX Pool goes away (I'm already on Medicare).

I feel for those who do have to make the transition - that has to be stressful wondering what will be available and how much it will cost.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #115
gone traveling

i just read on a website that for 2014 open enrollment will be oct 1 2013 to 03/312014. for years after this it will be only oct thru december of prior year.

only exceptions are qualifying event
Old 03-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #116
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post

Having the govenor appoint various commissioners works out real well for us here in Illinois since the governors are always subject matter experts and well known for their honesty and integrity.
I left Illinois more than 30 years ago. I now enjoy living in a state where 9 out of 10 governors do NOT retire early to prison. Your post made me laugh out loud and brought back memories!
Old 03-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #117

Quote:
i just read on a website that for 2014 open enrollment will be oct 1 2013 to 03/312014. for years after this it will be only oct thru december of prior year.

only exceptions are qualifying event
This is how many of the guaranteed issue policies are managed today. Helps reduce the possibility of people enrolling only when they need expensive care.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, DW went on Medicare this month so thankfully we don't have to be concerned about finding her a policy once the TX Pool goes away (I'm already on Medicare).

I feel for those who do have to make the transition - that has to be stressful wondering what will be available and how much it will cost.
Wow - the timing for your wife was very fortuitous.

I will be trying to figure out the transition. I suppose the state risk pools going away makes me eligible for the federal exchange, although I don't really understand the mechanism, or if I even need to go through an exchange. I guess I'll be figuring this out later this year, once I am notified of an official deadline.

Worrying about the cost - well, state risk pools are expensive! I don't expect it to be worse, but I might not be able to keep my current high deductible which keeps down my cost.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #119
Give me a forum ...

I seem to recall someone on one of these health care threads commenting that they didn't understand actuarial value or AV. I was reading something this morning that seemed to have a reasonably cogent explanation of AV so I thought I would post it here.

Quote:
What is actuarial value and why is it important?

“Actuarial value” is a measure of how much of the average covered medical costs are paid by the health plan versus by the consumer. A 70-percent AV plan is predicted to cover 70 percent of an individual’s covered benefit costs during the year. If you buy a plan with an AV value of 70 percent, that means that you can expect to pay 30 percent of your medical costs through deductibles, co-payments and other cost sharing. Importantly, though, AV values are calculated based on averages and predicted costs. So although comparing AV values will help you compare all the different benefit plans, you cannot assume that a silver plan will cover exactly 70 percent of your costs. You may use more or less services than the average person.
Platinum, gold, silver and bronze have AVs of at least 90%, 80%, 70% and 60%, respectively.

Also see What the Actuarial Values in the Affordable Care Act Mean
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #120
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I seem to recall someone on one of these health care threads commenting that they didn't understand actuarial value or AV. I was reading something this morning that seemed to have a reasonably cogent explanation of AV so I thought I would post it here.

Platinum, gold, silver and bronze have AVs of at least 90%, 80%, 70% and 60%, respectively.

Also see What the Actuarial Values in the Affordable Care Act Mean

here is an entire list from covered california gives every plan and actuarial value

http://www.healthexchange.ca.gov/Sol...0av%20calc.pdf

Tags
obamacare