Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
This is how many of the guaranteed issue policies are managed today. Helps reduce the possibility of people enrolling only when they need expensive care.
That's the way most group policies work, you enroll/make changes during the open enrollment period.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It appears more and more, those on grandfathered individual plans will lose them quickly, which unfortunately includes me. It appears people with BCBS will lose them quickly.

So what happens to the plans that don't meet the new minimum standards? They will likely disappear. A handful of existing plans will be grandfathered in, but the qualifying criteria for that is hard to meet: Members have to have been enrolled in the plan before the ACA passed in 2010, and the plan has to have maintained fairly steady co-pay, deductible and coverage rates until now.
The insurers in the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association are major players in the individual market. They are readying new product lineups for 2014, according to Kim Holland, the trade group's executive director of state affairs. She expects most existing Blue Cross individual plans to be discontinued.
"They are going by the wayside," she said. "Plans will have to conform to the higher level of benefits."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/most-i...ml?.tsrc=attcf

I read in another article that insurance companies may stall the mandatory conversion process up to a year, by reenrolling them in plan this year, and then converting after the yearly renewal process occurs during the following year instead of January 1. A rare example of how increasing short term profits of company benefits the consumers finances, short term also.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #123
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
It appears more and more, those on grandfathered individual plans will lose them quickly, which unfortunately includes me. It appears people with BCBS will lose them quickly.

So what happens to the plans that don't meet the new minimum standards? They will likely disappear. A handful of existing plans will be grandfathered in, but the qualifying criteria for that is hard to meet: Members have to have been enrolled in the plan before the ACA passed in 2010, and the plan has to have maintained fairly steady co-pay, deductible and coverage rates until now.
The insurers in the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association are major players in the individual market. They are readying new product lineups for 2014, according to Kim Holland, the trade group's executive director of state affairs. She expects most existing Blue Cross individual plans to be discontinued.
"They are going by the wayside," she said. "Plans will have to conform to the higher level of benefits."

Most Individual Health Insurance Isn't Good Enough for Obamacare - Yahoo! Finance

I read in another article that insurance companies may stall the mandatory conversion process up to a year, by reenrolling them in plan this year, and then converting after the yearly renewal process occurs during the following year instead of January 1. A rare example of how increasing short term profits of company benefits the consumers finances, short term also.
the bigger problem for a grandfathered plan would be adding more members
Old 04-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51

the bigger problem for a grandfathered plan would be adding more members
That process would take considerably longer to play out than the apparent immediate elimination of the plan itself next year. I would imagine virtually no one would drop their plan voluntarily, as the costs to join exchange will be significantly higher.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #125

Quote:
I would imagine virtually no one would drop their plan voluntarily, as the costs to join exchange will be significantly higher.
If you don't join the exchange, you could have to pay way more than 9.5% of your income in premiums. If that is the case for someone, why pay (say) 15-20% of your income in premiums by keeping your old plan when you can pay 9.5% (or less) through the exchange?

There are certainly a few situations where someone would want to pay (possibly a lot) more and keep their current coverage. But if a couple earns $35K and they can either pay $12,000 a year to "keep their plan" or $2,500 a year through the exchange (after subsidy)... what am I missing?

Now that Megacorp has kicked me to the curb, I'm doing the math and seeing that our situation will be fairly close to the hypothetical above. In any event, it looks like we'll be getting an 8-month short term policy to bridge the gap between Megacorp and the Obamacare exchanges (at 1/3 the cost of COBRA and almost as much coverage), as preexisting condition exclusions and avoiding gaps in "creditable coverage" for the purposes of HIPAA aren't really factors any more as long as you can make it to January 2014 before they become relevant.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29
If you don't join the exchange, you could have to pay way more than 9.5% of your income in premiums. If that is the case for someone, why pay (say) 15-20% of your income in premiums by keeping your old plan when you can pay 9.5% (or less) through the exchange?

There are certainly a few situations where someone would want to pay (possibly a lot) more and keep their current coverage. But if a couple earns $40K and they can either pay $12,000 a year to "keep their plan" or $3,000 a year through the exchange (after subsidy)... what am I missing?

Now that Megacorp has kicked me to the curb, I'm doing the math and seeing that our situation will be fairly close to the hypothetical above. In any event, it looks like we'll be getting an 8-month short term policy to bridge the gap between Megacorp and Obamacare (at 1/3 the cost of COBRA and almost as much coverage), as preexisting condition exclusions and avoiding gaps in "creditable coverage" for the purposes of HIPAA aren't really factors any more as long as you can make it to January 2014 before they become relevant.
You may very well be correct, as I am seeing it through the prism of what I pay and earn. I pay $76 a month as a 48 yr. old with a $5500 deductible. I have no health issues and with my HSA deduction, I actually net out a small profit just by buying health insurance. I was assuming just for my individual plan, and the fact it's underwritten makes it significantly cheaper. But maybe there are a bunch of people in my plan that would benefit. But it is sure hard to beat paying $76, and it has only went up a couple bucks the past 3 years. So, yes this unfolding is making me very nervous.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:20 AM   #127

Quote:
You may very well be correct, as I am seeing it through the prism of what I pay and earn. I pay $76 a month as a 48 yr. old with a $5500 deductible. I have no health issues and with my HSA deduction, I actually net out a small profit just by buying health insurance. I was assuming just for my individual plan, and the fact it's underwritten makes it significantly cheaper. But maybe there are a bunch of people in my plan that would benefit. But it is sure hard to beat paying $76, and it has only went up a couple bucks the past 3 years. So, yes this unfolding is making me very nervous.
True. I guess it depends on your situation. If it's heavily underwritten, you are getting the "preferred" rates and you are paying the full cost (i.e. not employer-subsidized), it likely is better than using an exchange. I'm not sure that's the "typical" case out there for people who have to buy their own, but I can see it being unsettling for some who are in your situation.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #128
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Most Individual Health Insurance Isn't Good Enough for Obamacare - Yahoo! Finance

I am in a BCBS plan which does not meet the new minimum standards, so I expect it to be discontinued next year. (They also recently switched from quarterly billing to monthly billing, probably in anticipation of this plan going bye-bye.) I never expected to remain in this plan, one I did not enroll in until early 2011, in 2014, so it is not a big deal. I expect to enroll in one of those exchanges later this year to begin in 2014.

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
obamacare