Health Savings Account Question

Keim

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My family health insurance is via a high deductible health plan my wifes employers offers, that includes a Health Savings Account. Her employer funds it to the individual maximum of about $3k, though as a family we could fund it to about $6k.

I recently went to work for a small nonprofit that offers an insurance benefit. I am visiting with the director about using the money to fund her HSA to its limit. The director believes he would need to send a check directly to her HSA provider. I'm not sure.

Anyone knowledgeable about HSAs that can provide insight?

If the question is how do you fund your wife's HSA to the family limit, that would be the way. I do it online when logged onto my hsa account. Now if you are getting a insurance benefit through this non-profit, it depends. If you are still on your wife's HDHP, then yes. It is quite likely you can do all this online.
If you are both covered under a HDHP and neither of you are covered by a non-HDHP, then you can save up to the max family HSA amount which is a bit over $6.5k (don't recall the correct amount 6650 maybe). This amount is maximum, having multiple insurances will not increase it. It also includes all contributions to the HSA, personal or employer.

If the question is how do you fund your wife's HSA to the family limit, that would be the way. I do it online when logged onto my hsa account. Now if you are getting a insurance benefit through this non-profit, it depends. If you are still on your wife's HDHP, then yes. It is quite likely you can do all this online.
If you are both covered under a HDHP and neither of you are covered by a non-HDHP, then you can save up to the max family HSA amount which is a bit over $6.5k (don't recall the correct amount 6650 maybe). This amount is maximum, having multiple insurances will not increase it. It also includes all contributions to the HSA, personal or employer.

I am on wifes HDHP. My new employer offers money for an insurance benefit. So, I guess the question is how do I use the insurance money benefit offered by new employer to top up family HSA?

Director believes he would need to write a check directly to wifes HSA for all to be kosher with IRS.

I think he just cuts me a check, and I deposit it at bank, then immediately roll it into HSA on my own via their online window.

I think either way will work. If he pays you, it is taxable income but you also get a deduction for your contribution. If he puts it directly to the HSA, it is just a non-taxable benefit to you (like employer paid health insurance...I think).

I think either way will work. If he pays you, it is taxable income but you also get a deduction for your contribution. If he puts it directly to the HSA, it is just a non-taxable benefit to you (like employer paid health insurance...I think).
Sounds right.

I am on wifes HDHP. My new employer offers money for an insurance benefit. So, I guess the question is how do I use the insurance money benefit offered by new employer to top up family HSA?

Director believes he would need to write a check directly to wifes HSA for all to be kosher with IRS.

I think he just cuts me a check, and I deposit it at bank, then immediately roll it into HSA on my own via their online window.

Might want to clarify the steps with your employer. Ideally, the employer makes a check out directly to the HSA Savings account bank, and it also avoids FICA taxes.

if the employer cuts you out a check and you deposit it in your bank account, then turn around and send a check to the HSA Bank account, find out if FICA taxes are being taken out first. Would save about $200, +/-!

Back
Top Bottom