Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-04-2018, 09:02 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Basically, Health Savings Administrators website sucks. I wish there was a better alternative
I stay away from their website except signing on just to make a withdrawal.

Other stuff like contributions and statements, I do via snail mail. Less of a headache.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2018, 10:53 AM   #142
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Basically, Health Savings Administrators website sucks. I wish there was a better alternative
Me, too. I tried to contribute my last ever contribution yesterday (on Medicare now) and the site was down.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:41 AM   #143
Give me a forum ...

Remember the saying that went something like "I only read the magazine for the articles"?

In this case, I use HSA Administrators as my HSA custodian not for their website design and functionality .
Old 01-05-2018, 01:52 PM   #144
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Are you all sticking with the because of the investment link to Vangard Funds? Just curious - they have annual maintenance fee which is huge. Why not change?

This web site has a list of HSAs and their fees. Scroll down to the table.
https://20somethingfinance.com/best-hsa-account/

First one on the list is HSA Bank - no fee if you maintain $5000 in the HSA. They link to TD Ameritrade where you can buy Vangard ETFs commission fee or select other products with a commission.

Is the HSA Bank website as slick as Fidelity? No, but it is highly functional and there is a connection to customer service via email, or telephone. I like 'em.

- Rita
Old 01-05-2018, 02:26 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Are you all sticking with the because of the investment link to Vangard Funds? Just curious - they have annual maintenance fee which is huge. Why not change?..........- Rita
Thanks for this. I think I'll change to HSA Bank. It appears that HSA Administrators gouges you on the way out, but I'm tired of them.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:46 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Are you all sticking with the because of the investment link to Vangard Funds? Just curious - they have annual maintenance fee which is huge. Why not change?...
I'm part of a grandfathered program where the $45 admin fee is waived. I only pay the 25 bps fee (6.25 bps quarterly).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 04:26 PM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Wanted to relate my attempt to transfer my HSA assets from this company.

I submitted a transfer request to another institution where I opened a second HSA account. It's been two months.

The new institution says they're not getting any response from HSA. I've called HSA several times in the past month. Each time they say to email, then to fax, then to mail..

Fidelity says they've sent it multiple times, each time to these different means of communications.

HSA says every time that there is no such request against my account.

I've asked them for the name of a responsible party or department or a supervisor and they've refused every time.

So either my new institution or HSA is lying about whether these transfer requests were sent.

Meanwhile, HSA is merrily imposing custodian fees and various other fees every few months.

Today I called and submitted a query at their web site, again it's a canned response, email here, fax to this number, etc.

I have to believe HSA is stonewalling for whatever reason.

I asked about selling all my funds and sending the check so that I can rollover it myself. Says it would take at least 3 weeks.

Has anyone dealt with HSA asset transfers, whether from this institution or another?

If two months is typical, then it's one thing. But HSA is denying they've gotten any requests and my other institution is stuck because they've sent it multiple times and they can't do anything else.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:34 PM   #148
Give me a forum ...

They are tough to deal with. I think it took us almost 2 months. I had to call them near the end. The check still took a while to arrive at Fidelity.

We had to sell all our funds before initiating the transfer from Fidelity.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:17 PM   #149
Give me a forum ...

You initiated the sales of the funds or they did once they got the transfer request?
Old 06-08-2021, 06:30 PM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Wanted to relate my attempt to transfer my HSA assets from this company.........
Wow, I'd be pizzed. As a minimum, I think I'd complain to ever regulates them - maybe the AG's office, too.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:50 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
You initiated the sales of the funds or they did once they got the transfer request?
I did it. Fidelity told me that holdings could not be transferred in kind and that I needed to go to cash in my HSA Administrators HSA account. I did that shortly after opening the Fidelity HSA and setting up the transfer.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:22 PM   #152

I've only read the last page of this thread, so the following may or may not be relevant.

I wouldn't recommend going with HSA Bank.
That's where I opened mine.
(only because at the time, Fidelity didn't offer one)

Didn't like the website, the links to the brokerage, the fees involved if you have under $5000 with them, or anything else for that matter.

To say Fidelity is superior, would be a huge understatement.
Old 06-09-2021, 04:19 AM   #153

I did a "direct transfer" of HSA assets between custodians and will never make that mistake again.

Ever since when I have transferred custodians, I just have the 1st custodian cut me a check for the balance and then within 60 days deposit the amount into the new HSA via an "indirect/ aka 60-day rollover."

I typically will open the new HSA account and establish a new account number, perhaps with a token deposit amount, before requesting the check from the prior custodian.

The lines of accountability are much clearer using this method and neither custodian knows about the other.

I think there is a 1 rollover/year limit by the IRS when using my method so do watch out for that.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 05:05 AM   #154

I did a transfer from HSA Admin to Fidelity.

I sold my assets in HSA Admin into cash first.

Did the Fidelity transfer online.

It took several months. After I initiated the transfer I was unable to access my HSA Admin account. There was quite a while where I couldn't actually see where my money was at all. However I could see on the Fidelity site that it was "in progress".

Very glad to be done with HSA Admin.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 08:23 AM   #155
Recycles dryer sheets

I made the switch from Health Equity HSA to Fidelity. Before the switch I moved funds to a money market inside Health Equity. Move took a couple of months and I initiated it thru Fidelity. Happy with Fidelity.
DektolMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 08:48 AM   #156
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Me, too! Fidelity offers a much better experience.
jarts98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:06 AM   #157

^
+1 to Fidelity's HSA.

It feels very similar to their traditional brokerage accounts.

No separate bank / mutual fund / brokerage platforms that the money has to move between unlike most of the other HSA's I have used in the past.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:24 AM   #158
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarts98 View Post
Me, too! Fidelity offers a much better experience.
Me 4. HSA Admin was such a pain especially at the end. Fidelity has been a delight in terms of how seamlessly their HSA accounts operate and no fees of any kind!
Old 06-09-2021, 09:30 AM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
I did a transfer from HSA Admin to Fidelity.

I sold my assets in HSA Admin into cash first.

Did the Fidelity transfer online.

It took several months. After I initiated the transfer I was unable to access my HSA Admin account. There was quite a while where I couldn't actually see where my money was at all. However I could see on the Fidelity site that it was "in progress".

Which side did you initiate it from?
Old 06-09-2021, 10:09 AM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Fidelity.

Normally account transfers are initiated from the institution receiving the funds since they are the ones motivated to bring in the money.