Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-01-2010, 03:40 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I have had a crappy year or so and when I am down in the dumps I eat too much and don't get enough exercise.
Martha, I have seen you post lines like that on at least two occasions.

has an early retirement and all that free time been a difficult transition ? That's my great concern going foreward.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2010, 03:46 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here is a link to the gym I go to . I'd look for one like this . The will make a personal plan for you including diet .
Shapes Fitness | Fitness & Weight Loss |Florida Women Tampa Bay, FL

Old 11-01-2010, 03:58 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

The only time I ever saw a woman go away and come back much fitter was when she joined the Air Force.

Maybe you should just get out of wherever it is that you are, go some place where it is easy and inviting to walk around, rent an apartment, read a low carb book and get going.

This may at the same time help your weight and your blues.

I believe it is often very hard for women to lose weight when they are feeling depressed.

Ha
Old 11-01-2010, 04:07 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The more that I read about these places the less likely it seems that I will find something that fits for me.
Quote:
Maybe I should just come visit you and pay you to be my personal trainer.
What about something like Nutrisystems?

Two thoughts-- if you're thinking of spending money on spas, then buying Nutrisystems at retail will seem like a bargain. But an even better deal is the resale market on Craigslist or local classifieds. A lot of people buy 1-3 months of the packaged foods but only use them for a week or two and sell the rest at a huge discount.

The food is typical backpacker freeze-dried fare so it travels well in your RV. Most of it is rehydrated & microwaved although some can be eaten right out of the package. Nutrisystems includes a menu guide (you supplement their food with fruits & veggies & salads) and the high-protein high-fiber low-carb fare fills you up yet makes the weight melt off pretty quickly.

They provide breakfast/lunch/dinner, desserts, and snacks. Given that it's all freeze-dried or dehydrated, and filled with whey/protein powder, it's all surprisingly yummy. It's also very quick/easy to prepare so you won't find yourself hanging around the kitchen being tempted while you're waiting for the main course to finish cooking. It's great for a lazy empty-nester lifestyle and I've lost 5-10 pounds eating the stuff without even paying attention to their guidebook.

Quote:
"The trainer may be screaming, but in an emotional, fun way."
I've had XOs like that...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:31 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

They provide breakfast/lunch/dinner, desserts, and snacks. Given that it's all freeze-dried or dehydrated, and filled with whey/protein powder, it's all surprisingly yummy incredibly boring.
There. Fixed it for you.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
5. Here's the lecture for the first night:
I will have to watch the whole Gardner video when I have more time. I don't do well at all on low carb. Maybe because I am not insulin resistant.

I have been trying different diets and tried the low carb again a couple of weeks ago after people on this forum were raving about it. After about 24 hours I was getting headaches, my skin started turning red and I felt terrible. My skin was so bad it started scaring my husband, who noticed ithe redness even before I did.

I went back to low calories and my skin went back to normal.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:37 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Martha, I have seen you post lines like that on at least two occasions.

has an early retirement and all that free time been a difficult transition ? That's my great concern going foreward.
Let's see. How many times can I write this post and erase it? Not enough. No, the free time is not a problem. The funny thing with ER is that life goes on and bad things that can happen when you are working can also happen when you ER.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I tried that food. If I had to eat it I certainly would lose weight.
Yuck.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #29

I like the idea of going to some place you might want to visit and using the local gym. Seafood is great for dieting (if it's not deep fried) so a beach location would be nice. Also a location where you could do lots of walking, hiking, cycling, swimming, whatever you enjoy.

Years ago my husband and I rented a condo for a week on the upper West Side of Manhattan (near Lincoln Center). The condo came with a membership to the nearby Reebok Club. We enjoyed working out every day and also did lots of walking around the city. Since we had a kitchen, we ate out only once a day. Unfortunately, I love deli food and there were many nearby.

Or an all-inclusive resort with lots of sports activities? Usually the buffets offer low-cal options to pick and choose from. Would be nice to also intersperse some off-resort sight seeing.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:48 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Martha I understand what you are talking about and have often thought a jumpstart would be great. Here is one place that has programs and isn't too costly . I ve never used it but my sister has been there for yoga training sesssions Kripalu - Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health - Get inspired. Explore fresh perspectives emotional wellness, physical health, and spiritual sustenance.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:58 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks 5j, I did like that they have pictures of people chunkier than I am on their site. That's always a relief

Old 11-01-2010, 07:33 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I tried that food. If I had to eat it I certainly would lose weight.
Yuck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
There. Fixed it for you.
Hey, it's called "Tastes worse, more filling"...

Perhaps if the only food we were going to eat wasn't so tasty then we'd eat less of it.

Personally my weight-control challenge has never been eating too much-- it's been not working out enough.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I also like the roll-your-own idea.

Come up with a two-week exercise program based on your research on the Internets. Write up a detailed schedule with exercise, hiking, sightseeing, etc. Travel to some interesting city, say Las Vegas, Sedona, or Chamberlain, SD, and stay in a POSH hotel. Eat the right stuff, and pamper yourself.

Spend as much as you can, and you'll probably still save money compared with one of those resorts.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:25 AM   #34

Atkins works wonders for me...only problem is I get so constipated with no fiber. Nobody else seems to have that problem with Atkins that I talked to, and I have tried all the suggestions like cooking in alot of butter, oil and so forth. I love protein, love Atkins cause I did lose weight...just that darned side effect (poop!) (Or no poop...).

Only thing that ever works for me is cutting my portions (no, OF, you are not a truck driver or a construction worker so quit eating so much) and working out...just the "starting" is a booger.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:36 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Come on down here Martha. See if you can rent a site in Retama Village - they might not all be gone, or I'm sure available for Nov and Dec at least. We have a pretty decent gym, and lots of space for walking and biking.

Audrey
Old 11-02-2010, 11:09 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Atkins works wonders for me...only problem is I get so constipated with no fiber. Nobody else seems to have that problem with Atkins that I talked to, and I have tried all the suggestions like cooking in alot of butter, oil and so forth.
That's actually a very common problem. It can usually be solved by 1-2 tsp of psyllium fiber per day. That's the active ingredient in Metamucil, but Metamucil also has a lot of sweeteners (either sugar or other stuff).

Quote:
After that, it got progressively more unpleasant, and after a month I was ready to kill for a carb.
There are some very clever alternatives to carbs. For example, fried pork rinds dipped in sour cream are just as good as potato chips or Fritos.

This stuff:

Carbalose.com: Home of Carbquik bake Mix and Other Low-Carb Products

can be used to make brownies (use erythritol instead of Splenda).

These chocolate bars
are great, although expensive.

You can make your own ice cream or whipped cream using liquid sucralose.

And a big rib-eye steak sauteed in butter can go a long way towards compensating for cravings.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been to Miraval in Tucson, Arizona, for one week at a time for several years in a row. It is the perfect place each time I visited. Delicious 5-star meals with organic healthful ingre dients, world-class exercise classes for all levels of fitness, sunshine, nice dry climate if you go any time except middle of summer. There are also stress management, meditation, classes, hikes in the Sonoran desert (for all fitness levels, etc.). The staff is knowledgeable, wonderful, and there is NO tipping allowed. All one inclusive price. Truly a lovely experience.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire2014 View Post
I've been to Miraval in Tucson, Arizona, for one week at a time for several years in a row. It is the perfect place each time I visited. Delicious 5-star meals with organic healthful ingredients...
I hear the "all you can eat" midnight buffet is not to be missed.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:33 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I also like the roll-your-own idea.

Come up with a two-week exercise program based on your research on the Internets. Write up a detailed schedule with exercise, hiking, sightseeing, etc. Travel to some interesting city, say Las Vegas, Sedona, or Chamberlain, SD, and stay in a POSH hotel. Eat the right stuff, and pamper yourself.

Spend as much as you can, and you'll probably still save money compared with one of those resorts.
Yeah. I have changed my mind on the whole idea. It was nice in the abstract but reality does not match fantasy. So the next step is to try to figure out another clever way to put myself on a different track and enjoy myself in the process.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Not an easy task. Here are some ideas:

how to motivate yourself to change lifestyle - Google Search