Join Early Retirement Today

Health/Weight loss resorts
Old 10-31-2010, 09:38 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Health/Weight loss resorts

I have had a crappy year or so and when I am down in the dumps I eat too much and don't get enough exercise. I have been thinking about ways to get myself out of the doldrums and thought about a health spa/resort. One where you are jump started to lose weight and get more exercise. One preferably where it is nice and warm and sunny. But in the United States.

Anyone know anything about these things? Anyone have any recommendations? It is daunting to Google and look at what is out there as I am sure there is lots of hype. Plus, prices seem all over the board. I don't need cucumber slices over my eyes and mud baths, nor do I want a boot camp. Something reasonable, sensible and maybe some fun?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2010, 06:18 AM   #2

Consider that this sort of thing usually leads to yo-yo dieting, where you drop a lot of weight and then gain it back nearly as fast.

IMHO, the only reliable system is to set your sights on a low target and gradually take on a new lifestyle. For me, that means aiming to lose between 1/2 and one pound per week. When I do that, I can keep my weight down for a long time.

Oddly, the only real "trick" I've found, related to diet, is to dramatically increase the percentage of vegetables in my diet. I'm always surprised by how well that works, all other factors remaining the same.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:40 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, I know about yo yo dieting. I want hoping for a somewhat disciplined program with eating right and exercise in nice surroundings. Not a crash diet.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:52 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Can't comment on the spa thing though it is compelling to me. I'm one of those people that wants to buy a solution to my eating/exercise problems and I have to fight the urge to think that it works.
I can tell you one thing that has worked for me (and I'm starting this week on it again) is stickk. It is a free online way for you to bet on your own success (put a contract on yourself). I used it to lose weight and then failed to set up a maintenance contract. Not surprisingly, I gained weight. So, I set up the new contract to be I'll lose x lbs a week and I have to weigh in once a week. I have a referee who is also the one who I pay if I don't make my goal (I bet $20 a week, but you don't have to wager money if you don't want to).

It is a good piece of accountability for me and probably more effective in the long run. Thought I'd mention it. If you join, I'd be happy to be one of your supporters!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:04 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Must be the MN carbs Martha- me too! And winter is approaching. ugh! (i'm in MN so I can say that!)

Never tried what you are looking for, but I rememeber Oprah featured a nice one a few years ago. I think it was in Araizona. If you are up to treating yourself, that might work.

Long term, weight watchers is a good program for when you get back.
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:44 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think this is the resort that Oprah mentioned. Sounds really nice..and probably a little pricey.

Arizona Luxury Resorts, Spas | Miraval | Tucson Luxury Vacations, AZ Destination Spa Resort
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:46 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The "Younger Next Year" books urge a jumpstart just like you're talking about, Martha. The version for women doesn't have an index but flipping through the pages I see this place: Rancho La Puerta - Home >> Welcome mentioned but it looks pricey.

Some friends and I keep trying to plan a trip through Road Scholar (formerly elderhostel and then exploritas and now road scholar). The site offers several places for "health and fitness" interests: Road Scholar: Advanced Search. Even if they don't offer what you're looking for, maybe some of the places have other options not through the Road Scholar programs.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:53 AM   #8

Oh also...you might want to check out some cruises. Some of the Celebrity ships have something call "Aqua Spa"...it's a class of ships that have some cabins/food are more health minded. The older/smaller ship I sailed on last year and will again next year (Celebrity Century) didn't have the Aqua Spa cabins or program but it does have a small little cafe that serves that type of food. For losing weight, that food was good. I lost two pounds on a 5 day cruise and still ate my larger dinner at night. The larger new ships that do have the Aqua Spa programs might even have weight reduction cruises...don't know...you might want to check it out.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:19 AM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

Why not just find a warm place you would like to go to and pick a gym that has what you are looking for . Most gyms offer month by month membership . The gym I go to is Shapes .It's an all women gym and they offer nutrition counseling plus exercise routines . You will also get the added bonus of meeting some women in the area .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:32 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Some good ideas to follow up on here. Thanks. It is difficult to work my way through the various online spa/resorts. It does seem like something where the hype might not be up to reality. But I will keep looking.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:03 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd suggest looking at La Costa - North County San Diego - Fitness - La Costa - Carlsbad Beach Resorts
I've never used it for the purpose you are intending, but I think it would fit the bill. The area tends to be pretty outdoor exercise/fitness oriented so even when you left the property you would be in a similar environment.
SunsetSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:11 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I'd think the value of a place like this would be to educate you on a "way of eating," and demonstrate how the program, rigorously and properly applied, could give you some immediate results.

Here's my concept for an Atkins diet resort.

1. You check in, and your luggage is searched for you show that you don't have any candy bars, alcohol, or other food.

2. You assemble for a encouraging lecture that describes what the next two weeks will be like.

3. A nurse practitioner checks over your statement from your doctor, gives you a physical, and carefully measures your weight, waist, biceps, thighs, etc. "Before" photos are taken.

4. Dinner consists of a generous cut of prime rib and lobster.

5. Here's the lecture for the first night:

6. Breakfast on day two is bacon, eggs, and sausages, with gourmet coffee with heavy whipping cream.

7. Days include informative lectures, with visits from former attendees, support groups, and exercise opportunities

and pampering

8. At the end of two weeks, most Atkins dieters lose about 10% of the difference between their current weight and an ideal weight. Even though some of this can be water weight loss, it is still encouraging. Often the size measurements are even more dramatic.

9. You leave with a detailed report showing how your measurements changed, before and after pictures, and exactly how much you ate and exercised.

10. If you didn't lose any weight, you get a 30% rebate on the cost of your stay, or a 50% off coupon for another visit.

--------------------------

Unfortunately, there are no resorts like this.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:23 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

Unfortunately, there are no resorts like this.
So I have found.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #14

The Biggest Loser Resort at Fitness Ridge

I would head off to this place. Too many of the resorts I have looked at are (a) very expensive (b) designed to part you from your money as they are more about the pampering and the food rather than the exercise part. The prices last time I looked are better at this place than most.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:53 PM   #15

I have to admit that Atkins works.
I tried it about 6 or 7 years ago, and lost about 20 pounds in about 5 or 6 weeks.

The first week was great.
After that, it got progressively more unpleasant, and after a month I was ready to kill for a carb. Finally, it got so unpleasant that I got off it, but I was impressed by how everything worked exactly as the book said it would.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:06 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

The more that I read about these places the less likely it seems that I will find something that fits for me. I get scared hearing the words "boot camp." From an article discussing the Biggest Loser resorts: "The trainer may be screaming, but in an emotional, fun way."

Many seem to have a huge component of woo woo to fill out your day. I think that I would end up writing a fat farm expose'.

Meh.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:08 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Martha, what about spending some time with a personal trainer? That will surely have less woo woo and you could probably schedule a few meetings with a nutritionist as well. That would offer more bang for the buck to me.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:11 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Martha, what about spending some time with a personal trainer? That will surely have less woo woo and you could probably schedule a few meetings with a nutritionist as well. That would offer more bang for the buck to me.
I've been thinking about that. My problem is being way out in the middle of nowhere. Moe may have the best idea, go somewhere warm and join a gym when I am there.

Of all the weight loss/fitness resorts I've poked at this seems like the best so far for the money with minimal woo: Weight Loss Spa Resort - Hilton Head Health - No More Fat Farms or Fat Camps But $2000 a week? And that is the off season rate. Maybe it just isn't worth it.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:19 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Of all the weight loss/fitness resorts I've poked at this seems like the best so far for the money with minimal woo: Weight Loss Spa Resort - Hilton Head Health - No More Fat Farms or Fat Camps But $2000 a week? And that is the off season rate. Maybe it just isn't worth it.
Nah, that is on Hilton Head--Stepford city. Why not come to Charleston if you want to go somewhere nice. We have awesome gyms and heck, if you want a spa, there's the Sanctuary at Kiawah

Hilton Head--blech! Best time I ever had there was seeing Jimmy Buffet perform at the high school football field when I was in high school. Since then, meh.

Find somewhere you want to visit and get recommendations for a personal trainer and/or nutritionist. On second thought, it might not should be Charleston--our restaurants are awesome!

Old 11-01-2010, 02:37 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe I should just come visit you and pay you to be my personal trainer.