Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Healthcare for victims of Aurora.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Healthcare for victims of Aurora.

I wasn't sure where to put this post, but as it poses a question about how we pay for healthcare I settled on this forum.

Here is an article about the issues with insurance and paying for the care of the victims of the Aurora shootings. Some without insurance will have costs reduced and paid for from Hospital and charity funds. Others with insurance will have co-pays waived. Is this the right thing to do? Should the way you received your injuries change what you pay for treatment?

No medical bills for some Colo. shooting victims - The Denver Post

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No, it should not.... But it does...

Look at all the help Joplin got because it had a big tornado... someone who had everything destroyed by a small tornado is in the same boat, but gets less or nothing....

Old 07-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #3

From the article
Quote:
Among the uninsured victims of the movie-theater attack is a 23-year-old aspiring comic, Caleb Medley, who is in critical condition with a head wound and whose wife, Katie, gave birth to their first child, Hugo, on Tuesday.
Unless this individual is wealthy there is no chance the bill could ever be paid. The hospital generates some favorable coverage by "donating" what it would never collect. It also speaks only for it's part of the cost, not any of the doctors, who charge independently.

Most health care providers charge "list" rates that are 2x - 10x higher than rates insurance companies pay. This multiple tiered pricing, with list prices sometimes ridiculously high, makes it all the more difficult for uninsured individuals.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Just another example that we (as a society) already pay for much of our citizenry's health care needs. It's just a matter of where the funding comes from.

As for the charity care, I recently learned that at least one of our local hospitals will waive hospital fees for those making up to 250% of the poverty level. That works out to around $67000 (that is 1040 Adjusted Gross Income) for a family of five. We just missed the cut off by a few hundred bucks and have to pay full freight (couple thousand $$) for the recent delivery of our son.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

If we step back a bit, it is actually absurd that individuals are ever responsible for their medical costs. Most of our exposures are in some large way generated by the society. The society should be on the hook when things go bad. Did we have maniacs going into public places and gunning down everyone they could find 100 years ago? Of course not, and this simmering rage found in too many people today is a result of modern, depraved social conditions.

We would have a quality, more affordable single payer system in place by now, if insurance and pharma and other corporate interests were not so good at shutting this down every time it comes up.

Ha
Old 07-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #6

Sure. I just don't want to pay for it.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

We would have a quality, more affordable single payer system in place by now, if insurance and pharma and other corporate interests were not so good at shutting this down every time it comes up.

Ha
+1 As long as we have an idiotic health care approach providers might as well be able to garner good publicity by granting BS largess to high visibility casualties of the system.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Sure. I just don't want to pay for it.
I'd much rather pay for someone else's care than have them paying for mine.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
No, it should not.... But it does...

Look at all the help Joplin got because it had a big tornado... someone who had everything destroyed by a small tornado is in the same boat, but gets less or nothing....
Good point, Texas...Both sides suffered and lost their homes. The individual loss is equal between tornadoes, but since one got more attention and is larger, the outcome is far different. When it comes to pain and suffering, all is not fair.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha
If we step back a bit, it is actually absurd that individuals are ever responsible for their medical costs. Most of our exposures are in some large way generated by the society. The society should be on the hook when things go bad. Did we have maniacs going into public places and gunning down everyone they could find 100 years ago? Of course not, and this simmering rage found in too many people today is a result of modern, depraved social conditions.

Ha
Are the anarchist rampages of approx 100 years ago all that different ? They preferred bombs but other than that..
Old 07-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
. . . society should be on the hook when things go bad.
I wish I could meet this Mr Society of whom you speak. I'd sure give him a scolding. It is well past time he went out and got a job and paid for everybody's needs, or at least the damage he's caused. He's a no-account deadbeat!
Old 07-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I predict that this thread will end badly. With bumper sticker sized aphorisms...
Old 07-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

As others have said, why should these victims be treated or publicized any differently than the victims of senseless, random shootings than take place all over the country weekly/daily? I suspect the friends and families are equally devastated. As a society we can be hard to understand...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 07-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
As others have said, why should these victims be treated or publicized any differently than the victims of senseless, random shootings than take place all over the country weekly/daily? I suspect the friends and families are equally devastated. As a society we can be hard to understand...
We do seem to be rather selective when it comes to showing compassion.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
Old 07-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Gunshot victims are routinely treated at public Hospitals every day. No one is turned away.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
We do seem to be rather selective when it comes to showing compassion.
This thread points the way to a good solution. No compassion for anyone!
Old 07-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
Gunshot victims are routinely treated at public Hospitals every day. No one is turned away.
Why even surrogate babies for couples in other countries are taken care of. Since the baby was born in California. Hows that for compassion! I get a warm and fuzzy feeling all over about that.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #18

I predict the same, unfortunately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
I predict that this thread will end badly.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #19
Administrator

Waiting patiently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 149775.jpg (101.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 07-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #20

Anyone who brings out bacon is a scholar and gentleman/woman.