Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
HealthCare.gov
Old 11-16-2015, 03:37 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Miami
Posts: 156
HealthCare.gov

I am buying ACA health insurance for the first time and expect to get subsidies. Every time I try to log on to HealthCare.gov I can only enter a bit of information and then I cannot go any further. I am in Florida.

I noticed EHealth seems to let me finish an application. If I buy ACA health insurance somewhere other than an exchange will I still get all the subsidies?

If I cannot get thru on the HealthCare.gov can I use another web site?
If you did not use HealthCare.gov what web site did you use?
__________________

__________________
Blueskies123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2015, 04:32 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.
Silver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Orlando, Fl
Posts: 580
I am also in Florida and was able to easily use the Healthcare.gov site on 11-1-15 to obtain insurance coverage with a subsidy. I have already paid the first month's coverage and received my new insurance cards. Perhaps the site has developed problems since then.

It might be helpful to more fully describe what you mean by "enter a bit of info and cannot go further." At what point exactly does the process seem to stall? And what does that 'stall" look like? Were you able to establish an account? Did you start an application for insurance? Are you sure you didn't miss a "next" or "continue" button at the bottom of a page? Sometimes you do need to scroll all the way down to see them.

I am not aware of any other website that can be used in order to apply for subsidized health care insurance.
__________________

__________________
You're only crazy if you're poor. If you have money, you're eccentric.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:20 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
I am also in Florida and was able to easily use the Healthcare.gov site on 11-1-15 to obtain insurance coverage with a subsidy. I have already paid the first month's coverage and received my new insurance cards. Perhaps the site has developed problems since then.

It might be helpful to more fully describe what you mean by "enter a bit of info and cannot go further." At what point exactly does the process seem to stall? And what does that 'stall" look like? Were you able to establish an account? Did you start an application for insurance? Are you sure you didn't miss a "next" or "continue" button at the bottom of a page? Sometimes you do need to scroll all the way down to see them.

I am not aware of any other website that can be used in order to apply for subsidized health care insurance.
Tax question. Since you already paid for your first month's coverage (in 2015), come tax time, do you report the insurance premium for tax year 2015 or wait until 2016 taxes since this is for 2016 coverage. In otherwords, record according to when you paid or the time of insurance coverage?
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Applying for ACA on HIM.gov
Old 11-16-2015, 05:54 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Miami
Posts: 156
Applying for ACA on HIM.gov

To answer your questions I was able to create an account, select my state, indicate I was married with no other dependents and enter my income. At the bottom of the "apply screen" there is a big "continue" button but it is a very dim shade of green and when I click on it nothing happens. I have tried other browsers and clicked continue multiple times and nothing happens.

__________________
Blueskies123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:54 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Miami
Posts: 156
I was applying on Healthcare.gov not Him.gov
__________________
Blueskies123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:01 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Miami
Posts: 156
It sounds like you signed up as of Dec 1st 2015 and maybe bypassed the 2016 new applications. You said you already paid, was it for Jan 2016?
__________________
Blueskies123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:13 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
MooreBonds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskies123 View Post
To answer your questions I was able to create an account, select my state, indicate I was married with no other dependents and enter my income. At the bottom of the "apply screen" there is a big "continue" button but it is a very dim shade of green and when I click on it nothing happens. I have tried other browsers and clicked continue multiple times and nothing happens.

I haven't used healthcare.gov, but are you entering extra characters when entering your income, like a comma or dollar sign, which the system can't process and let you advance?

Or are there additional fields to the side of this that are offscreen?
__________________
Dryer sheets Schmyer sheets
MooreBonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:09 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.
Silver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Orlando, Fl
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Tax question. Since you already paid for your first month's coverage (in 2015), come tax time, do you report the insurance premium for tax year 2015 or wait until 2016 taxes since this is for 2016 coverage. In otherwords, record according to when you paid or the time of insurance coverage?
We will report the first month's payment for 2016 health insurance in our 2016 tax return.
__________________
You're only crazy if you're poor. If you have money, you're eccentric.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:27 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.
Silver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Orlando, Fl
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskies123 View Post
It sounds like you signed up as of Dec 1st 2015 and maybe bypassed the 2016 new applications. You said you already paid, was it for Jan 2016?
Since we have coverage through the ACA website for 2015, I just needed to update our application, select a new plan (our 2015 plan was discontinued), and submit. That same day I received an e-mail from Blue Cross with instructions on how to pay the first month, which I followed. I received our new insurance cards the following week.

I clearly recall exactly what you are describing, but I'm not sure why it won't allow you to continue. You enter your AGI as your income in that space, and it should proceed to a screen that tells you the subsidy that would apply.

If the problem continues I would call the help number and speak with someone.
__________________
You're only crazy if you're poor. If you have money, you're eccentric.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:36 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
We will report the first month's payment for 2016 health insurance in our 2016 tax return.
Thanks. I was under the impression that you had to record as under when you paid the premium as was thinking of holding off any payments until 2016.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:01 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
John Galt III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,283
Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone discovered any kinks in HC.gov this year? I remember last year there were some ambiguities one had to guess correctly about in order to not get trapped in some nightmare. Do you have to go through identity verification all over again? Have they changed the format of the questions? etc.

I have picked out a plan for 2016 but I haven't tried to enroll in it yet.

Thanks
__________________
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:45 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskies123 View Post
To answer your questions I was able to create an account, select my state, indicate I was married with no other dependents and enter my income. At the bottom of the "apply screen" there is a big "continue" button but it is a very dim shade of green and when I click on it nothing happens. I have tried other browsers and clicked continue multiple times and nothing happens.
Just guessing:
Could be the "Continue" button isn't active because there's some missing information above.
__________________
Living well is the best revenge!
Retired @ 52 in 2005
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:31 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 484
One other thing I got hung up on.. didn't notice I had to click "see your eligibility" and actually VIEW the sheet to proceed... so you may want to double check there isn't some button or link you are missing that isn't very obvious.
__________________
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:03 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone discovered any kinks in HC.gov this year? I remember last year there were some ambiguities one had to guess correctly about in order to not get trapped in some nightmare. Do you have to go through identity verification all over again? Have they changed the format of the questions? etc.

I have picked out a plan for 2016 but I haven't tried to enroll in it yet.

Thanks
I haven't has any issues. Haven't done enroll yet. Only comment is I wish they would stop the robot calls and emails reminding me!
__________________
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:26 AM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskies123 View Post
It sounds like you signed up as of Dec 1st 2015 and maybe bypassed the 2016 new applications. You said you already paid, was it for Jan 2016?
From what I recall for the ACA, you need to pay your first month's payment before that month starts. So you have to pay it in 2015 to start on 1/1/16
__________________
bingybear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:38 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Miami
Posts: 156
I finally figured it out, even though the onscreen application showed that my wife and I were applying for insurance I had to actually click on my name and my wife's name to validate that those names are correct. Once I did that step the continue button light up. I got to think thousands of people missed the same step.
__________________
Blueskies123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:06 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskies123 View Post
I finally figured it out, even though the onscreen application showed that my wife and I were applying for insurance I had to actually click on my name and my wife's name to validate that those names are correct. Once I did that step the continue button light up. I got to think thousands of people missed the same step.
Figured.. as I said I missed that other not so obvious step.. I just think its one of those.. if it doesn't light up continue.. keep clicking on page till something pops up
__________________

__________________
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
healthcare.gov aca


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
While waiting for healthcare.gov MichaelB Health and Early Retirement 48 10-25-2013 12:40 PM
Healthcare.gov/ACA - Has anyone here been able to "enroll" shotgunner Health and Early Retirement 20 10-17-2013 11:02 PM
New Healthcare.gov Website ERhoosier Health and Early Retirement 4 07-10-2013 03:12 PM
HealthCare.gov Coach Health and Early Retirement 18 08-01-2010 09:45 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:20 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.