Healthcare.gov Signup after Move?

NoMoreJob

Recycles dryer sheets
Has anyone moved this year and signed up for new health insurance through Healthcare.gov after open enrollment ended?

If so, how did the process go? Any tips?

Moving is a qualifying event. You just have to go to your state's or the federal exchange and sign up. You will probably be required to prove some form of proof, but since the goal is to encourage people to sign up, you shouldn't have to jump through too many hoops.

Moving is a qualifying event. You just have to go to your state's or the federal exchange and sign up. You will probably be required to prove some form of proof, but since the goal is to encourage people to sign up, you shouldn't have to jump through too many hoops.

Have you been through the process AllDone? If so, what was your experience?

I am in the process of signing up through Healthcare.gov for coverage.

Our current HC coverage ends August 20, 2014 and our eligibility for a special enrollment period was confirmed through the site. I chose a plan and submitted the application which was processed immediately. The problem was the site indicated that coverage would start September 1, 2014, but we wanted coverage for August so there would not be a gap.

I first called the insurance company directly. They can't change the start date when the application comes through the marketplace.

I then spoke with a representative at Healthcare.gov and she said she could not change the start date from September to August, but would forward the request to a Caseworker who would call us back "hopefully before August." I expressed my concern that there would be such a delay in simply moving the start date of the coverage up a month.....but the rep said there is nothing she can do about it. And that usually it takes a Caseworker "a few weeks" to act on account changes.

I guess the lesson learned is that I should have indicated that my current coverage ends the end of July in order to get coverage as of August. Other than that the process wasn't bad at all.

I am in the process of signing up through Healthcare.gov for coverage.

Our current HC coverage ends August 20, 2014 and our eligibility for a special enrollment period was confirmed through the site. I chose a plan and submitted the application which was processed immediately. The problem was the site indicated that coverage would start September 1, 2014, but we wanted coverage for August so there would not be a gap.
Most health insurance in the US requires full month premium prepayment. If that is your case your current coverage continues through Aug 31 even if you leave your group a few days earlier. That would stipulated in the certificate of coverage.

Most health insurance in the US requires full month premium prepayment. If that is your case your current coverage continues through Aug 31 even if you leave your group a few days earlier. That would stipulated in the certificate of coverage.

My husband was finishing up another graduate degree and we had very reasonable insurance through the university. The coverage is paid by semester, and the summer semester ends 8-20-14. I can't find anywhere that coverage is extended any further than that.

My husband was finishing up another graduate degree and we had very reasonable insurance through the university. The coverage is paid by semester, and the summer semester ends 8-20-14. I can't find anywhere that coverage is extended any further than that.

That is complicated. Have you spoken with the health care benefits administrator, or can you get a copy of the coverage terms?

That is complicated. Have you spoken with the health care benefits administrator, or can you get a copy of the coverage terms?

If I can't get the new insurance started in August rather than September I'll follow up as you suggest. Hopefully, it will be resolved through Healthcare.gov.

My point for this thread was to make sure people knew how best to respond to questions during the application in order to get started with their new insurance when they really need it.

Have you been through the process AllDone? If so, what was your experience?
We signed up through Covered CA with no problem other than trying to sort out the many choices, but we did it during the open enrollment period. Right now I'm doing a volunteer job that involves helping people sign up for insurance with Covered CA, but mostly working with low income, MediCal eligible. So far it has been a simple, manageable process.

We signed up through Covered CA with no problem other than trying to sort out the many choices, but we did it during the open enrollment period. Right now I'm doing a volunteer job that involves helping people sign up for insurance with Covered CA, but mostly working with low income, MediCal eligible. So far it has been a simple, manageable process.

I've signed already signed up for through a state exchange during open enrollment so know that drill. I'm hoping to get feedback from anyone who has signed up through the national site (Healthcare.gov) out side of open enrollment (special enrollment).

Back
Top Bottom