Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Healthcare Open Enrollment 2020
Old 10-08-2019, 10:24 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Healthcare Open Enrollment 2020

Hello all,

I started my new journey to semi retirement this April. I plan to travel rest of the year and look at creating income next year. Of course I no longer have health insurance from previous employer. My question is would I qualify for healthcare insurance subsidies through ACA if I grossed $250K in 2019? I expect to live off savings in 2020 and may earn ~$15k income.

Does government use 2019 income to see if qualify for subsidies or use expected 2020 income? Any insight would be greatly appreciated and thanks for your wisdom. I live in Texas if that makes any difference.

Len
Nebu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2019, 10:36 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Expected 2020 income.

You may be asked to support that. I would think that explaining your retirement and sources of expected income should take care of that if necessary. But don't be surprised if it isn't as simple as it should be as many of the marketplace people don't have a clue about non-W2 income.
NoMoreJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:46 AM   #3

When we signed up for the ACA we weren't asked for prior year actuals, only next year (first covered year) projections. Do make sure you at least meet the minimums in your projections (15k is too low I believe).
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:33 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
When we signed up for the ACA we weren't asked for prior year actuals, only next year (first covered year) projections. Do make sure you at least meet the minimums in your projections (15k is too low I believe).
+1 Unless you want to go on your state's version of Medicaid, make sure your income is above your state's minimum (or the federal minimum if applicable) for your household size.

I'm using a combination of bond interest income (which I can't control) and tIRA liquidations (which I can control) to keep my 2020 ACA MAGI within the Goldilocks guardrails.

EDIT: H/T to Spock to catching my typo
footenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:52 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by footenote View Post
+1 Unless you want to go on your state's version of Medicare, make sure your income is above your state's minimum (or the federal minimum if applicable) for your household size.

I'm using a combination of bond interest income (which I can't control) and tIRA liquidations (which I can control) to keep my 2020 ACA MAGI within the Goldilocks guardrails.
State's version of MedicAID.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:45 PM   #6

Question for the experts:

DGF has been on ACA since 2015. Converting just enough TIRA to Roth each year to stay off medicaid and qualify for nice subsidies. This year (2019) her conversion to Roth is only going to be about half of the required Federal Poverty level figure. They did not ask for proof of income from her for this year. Since she will fall below FPL this year will they ask for subsidy back? I have read on several sites that they won't do that.

I do expect that they will want MAGI estimate for 2020 though. Will show them that she is starting SS payments and that will put her above the FPL for next year. Make sense?
Old 10-08-2019, 01:08 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
Question for the experts:

DGF has been on ACA since 2015. Converting just enough TIRA to Roth each year to stay off medicaid and qualify for nice subsidies. This year (2019) her conversion to Roth is only going to be about half of the required Federal Poverty level figure. They did not ask for proof of income from her for this year. Since she will fall below FPL this year will they ask for subsidy back? I have read on several sites that they won't do that.
No, there’s no recovery if income falls below the FPl.
Quote:
I do expect that they will want MAGI estimate for 2020 though. Will show them that she is starting SS payments and that will put her above the FPL for next year. Make sense?
Makes perfect sense. Good luck..
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:02 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
DGF has been on ACA since 2015. Converting just enough TIRA to Roth each year to stay off medicaid and qualify for nice subsidies.
What does she live on, if her only taxable income is from Roth conversion?

I'm not trying to be overly nosy, but I would like to know how people can hold their MAGI so low to qualify for ACA subsidies, and still live reasonably.

In my own case, I already get income from my taxable investments that exceeds 4*FPL. The only alternative seems to be to sell everything and bury the proceeds in the yard. And then using Roth conversions as your girlfriend (I hope that's what DGF means) is doing.
LarryMelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMelman View Post

I'm not trying to be overly nosy, but I would like to know how people can hold their MAGI so low to qualify for ACA subsidies, and still live reasonably.

In my own case, I already get income from my taxable investments that exceeds 4*FPL. The only alternative seems to be to sell everything and bury the proceeds in the yard. And then using Roth conversions as your girlfriend (I hope that's what DGF means) is doing.
She lives on my inflated piggy bank. We are not married so we file separate tax returns.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:38 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

It's certainly possible depending upon the tax efficiency of your investments and how well you plan.
NoMoreJob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:42 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Yes DGF is a girlfriend.
There are different ways we all make this happen.

My DGF has SSDI coming in plus some child support. Thus she already is on Medicare.

As for myself, I live partially off her income, plus our taxable accounts are being depleted partially for living expenses. I convert a small Roth (20k) as my MAGI.

All our taxable income generated is reported under her taxes.

Next year, I will start paying down some TIRA for my MAGI and living expenses and reduce a like amount of our taxable investments.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:57 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Larry. I know you use a dividend heavy approach. Some people purposely use a dividend light (or no dividend) approach and to keep within 400% fpl they sell securities with little gains.

This way they have the cash but not the income.
BeachOrCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:25 PM   #13

Quote:

I used to have a high income before FIRE, along with high taxes, and $10K AMT every year. I would max out the tax-deferred accounts, and invest any funds left over in tax-efficient mutual funds (state municipal bond fund, tax-managed equity funds, index funds). Once early retired, my taxable income dropped very low even though I was spending more, because my dividend heavy mutual funds (REIT, utilities, equity income fund, bonds, dividend growth fund) are in tax-deferred accounts. So before RMDs begin, I have been doing Roth conversions up to the ACA subsidy limits and living comfortably on after-tax savings.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:40 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebu View Post
Hello all,
Does government use 2019 income to see if qualify for subsidies or use expected 2020 income? Any insight would be greatly appreciated and thanks for your wisdom. I live in Texas if that makes any difference.
This was exactly my situation last year. I quit working in 2018 but had large Roth conversion income. The Healthcare.gov site requested income verification for 2019 to qualify for premium tax credits. I sent a letter specifying my expected 2019 MAGI, and I stated that I retired and that previous years income did not reflect my expected 2019 income.

They approved that, no problem.
Smitty700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:00 AM   #15

Just sold out of a business and retired this year. Just lost my group insurance plan so will be hitting the exchange in 2020. My income for the next 5 years will come from a non qualified deferred comp agreement that will put me over the annual limits. My question is whether deferred comp is included in the calculation (i am using it as part of my retirement planning). I am thinking the government would count this in 2020 and beyond as income thus putting me over the subsidy limits? Anyone know this situation?

BTY, I am new here and will do the full intro later this week.
drums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:07 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by drums View Post
Just sold out of a business and retired this year. Just lost my group insurance plan so will be hitting the exchange in 2020. My income for the next 5 years will come from a non qualified deferred comp agreement that will put me over the annual limits. My question is whether deferred comp is included in the calculation (i am using it as part of my retirement planning). I am thinking the government would count this in 2020 and beyond as income thus putting me over the subsidy limits? Anyone know this situation?
Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI), which includes W-2 income, is used as the determine ACA subsidies. (I believe that the deferred comp will be reported on a W-2). For details on what is / is not included in MAGI, see https://www.healthcare.gov/income-an...n/income/#magi.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:55 PM   #17

Drums.... I sold my business in 2015 and the quarterly payments I received over 4 years were classified by my CPA as an Installment Sale which flowed through 1040 and ultimately became LTCG. Payments were not on a W-2. They were on a Payment Schedule with Interest negotiated at Sale. Not sure by what you wrote how they are reporting the “non-qualified deferred compensation”. If it’s on a W-2, it cannot be an Installment Sale for tax purposes. LTCG is part of magi and taxed much lower than ordinary income.
Rio2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:06 PM   #18

In regards to ACA, Anybody taking there SS early at 62 and using it to pay there Health Insurance if your magi is over 400FPL therefore not eligible for a subsidy?
Rio2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 12:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio2016 View Post
In regards to ACA, Anybody taking there SS early at 62 and using it to pay there Health Insurance if your magi is over 400FPL therefore not eligible for a subsidy?
Health insurance is an expense.... SS is an income source (with some tax quirks that are different than other income sources.) To me they are separate calculations... do I have enough income overall to cover my expenses (including healthcare and taxes) without SS? If the answer is yes - I'll defer SS... if the answer is no... then I need to consider taking SS at 62 (or whenever.)

This is hypothetical for me - I'm only 58 and at this moment am considering waiting till either 65 (for the medicare hold harmless) or age 70 for SS... But if the market tanks, meteors hit the earth, or something else changes my current cashflow/expense situation - I'll look at SS again.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:11 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Healthcare.gov now has the 2020 plans and prices available for preview. I just checked mine and found a pleasant surprise as our cost after PTC will go down about $130 / month.