Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-28-2015, 01:09 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here is what Blue Cross Blue Shield has to say about it (for me). It sounds like not drinking at all may be the safest course.
Alcohol

The amount of alcohol you say you drink is within the recommended range and may even be heart healthy. But, as an occasional drinker, you should be aware that even moderate alcohol intake can increase your risks for some cancers. Particularly, women who have more than one drink a day have a heightened risk of breast cancer – and drinking even one drink a day consistently may increase this risk. Unless your doctor has approved it, it is best to avoid drinking alcohol with prescription medications. Alcohol can interfere or interact with many prescription and non-prescription medications, including aspirin and acetaminophen. Avoid even rare excesses and binges, which put you at risk for serious consequences to your health, relationships, and well-being. If you have issues with alcohol dependence or abuse, it is best to quit altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Typical. The article says that it is much healthier to drink alcohol regularly, but at the same time advises that people like me who don't drink shouldn't start drinking. So, we aren't as healthy as we could be if we drank alcoholic drinks regularly, but we shouldn't start drinking to partake in these supposed health benefits.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2015, 02:03 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
So, what else is new......everything in moderation. But, wow, I was shocked to see "moderate" drinking is 2 drinks PER DAY for men. Maybe I'm naive, but that sure sounds very high. Admittedly, I only have one drink a week, when DW and I go out on Saturday night, but I still think 2 per day is more than "moderate."

And, although I do try to eat reasonably healthy, I still partake in so-called unhealthy foods and would have a meltdown if I didn't have my nightly low-fat ice cream dessert.
It really depends on how big the drink is. If it's a standard portion, than not so high. If people are filling a wine glass full or sneaking in other than standard shots, then it is a lot.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:16 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
It really depends on how big the drink is.
My contribution
Attached Images
File Type: jpg only-one-beer.jpg (66.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Big-Beer.jpg (21.4 KB, 6 views)

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:21 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Yeah - still shocked that in Germany the "normal" beer serving was 1 liter!!!

That's almost 34 ounces, or close to three times the U.S. standard serving of 12 oz. for beer.

I think they were already the inventors of the "big gulp".
Old 01-28-2015, 02:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yeah - still shocked that in Germany the "normal" beer serving was 1 liter!!!
Well, they only bring it to you a liter at a time. If you have enough of them, it eventually adds up to a serving.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:50 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

If I drank beer by the quart/liter, I'd be even more worthless than I already am...

As for the topic in general, there are so many charlatans like Dr. Oz, and so many "lose a million pounds in only ten seconds a day with the Thighmaster" commercials, that it's no wonder most folks are confused...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:46 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Can I save up all my two drinks a day until the weekend?
FIREmenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:10 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
Can I save up all my two drinks a day until the weekend?
I asked my doc that question and he said "No, it doesn't work that way". Dang.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:01 PM   #29

Maybe it's a genetic thing. I'm half Irish and half German, both known for alcohol consumption (for good or ill, I'm not saying). At any rate, my consumption has honestly averaged two beers a day for 30-40 years. Granted, there are days when I have several more, but there are just as many days when I have one or none. Overall, it really does work out to two a day, which (by total coincidence) is the recommended quantity for men.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:14 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Same ethnic b/g here. I can't drink very much because alcohol gives me a headache. My system seems to recognize it as t h e poison it is I really like the taste of wine, beer, and liqueurs, but must consume with caution or I will feel ill quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Maybe it's a genetic thing. I'm half Irish and half German, both known for alcohol consumption (for good or ill, I'm not saying). At any rate, my consumption has honestly averaged two beers a day for 30-40 years. Granted, there are days when I have several more, but there are just as many days when I have one or none. Overall, it really does work out to two a day, which (by total coincidence) is the recommended quantity for men.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:31 PM   #31

Quote:
Do you consider yourself little/somewhat/much healthier than others?

I have been drinking 1 - 2 drinks (beer or wine) per day for the last few years and attempted cutting it down to 1 per day without success. I will consider again after reading your health report.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:48 PM   #32

When we moved into our casa in cow country, I was a veggie teetotaler. I lasted 6 years, until age 60 before I thought that I could have a glass of wine. Now days one 5oz of red wine is it for me. Of course cruises and travel are good reasons for for a little more taste of the local fare.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:14 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Do you consider yourself little/somewhat/much healthier than others?

I have been drinking 1 - 2 drinks (beer or wine) per day for the last few years and attempted cutting it down to 1 per day without success. I will consider again after reading your health report.
Actually, I consider myself rather healthier than most my age (69). I do 3-4 half-marathons each year, and this year I'm going to try a full marathon again (after an 8-year hiatus). My BMI is 25.0 and all my annual blood test numbers are great. I take no medications (just a daily multivitamin). I have plenty of energy, no trouble sleeping, and really no complaints about my health at all (beyond the normal enlarged prostate gland, which is pretty much inevitable for most of us).

I do follow a LCHF diet, but as my father used to sing, "I eat when I'm hungry, I drink when I'm dry, and if whiskey [or in my case, beer] don't kill me, I'll live till I die."
Old 01-29-2015, 07:05 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Same ethnic b/g here. I can't drink very much because alcohol gives me a headache. My system seems to recognize it as t h e poison it is I really like the taste of wine, beer, and liqueurs, but must consume with caution or I will feel ill quickly.
Stick to small quantities then, but also consider drinking LOTS of water before/during/after your small sample. Dehydration can have a big effect, and the water will at least dilute it in your system.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:30 PM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

To Drink or Not to Drink? That Is the Question

Here's a study suggesting your lifespan maxes out with 4 drinks a day. A level that many consider abusive and even approaching alcoholism. Fortunately, I am not one of the many.

So imbibe to your content if it agrees with you and your constitution. Just avoid driving and heavy machinery (probably light machinery too).
Old 02-01-2015, 10:50 AM   #36

Quote:
Alcohol consumption is measured in standard units.
Leaving aside exceptional examples, the typical definition of "a drink" in this country is 18 ml of alcohol:
  • 12 oz of beer
  • 5 oz of wine
  • 1.5 oz of liquor
Standard drink - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
But read the labels (or ask at pubs) for actual alcohol content. Many specialty brewhouses in US have info about their beers posted.

Alcoholic beers widely available in US range from about 2.4% (Bud Select 55, Molson Light) to 4-5% for most mainstream brews (Bud, Miller, Coors) to 5-6% for most "Ice" beers and pale ales, to 9-10+% for many specialty /craft beers (Sam Adams Imperial). Some specialty brews even hit 14-15+%. Down a six-pack of ultralights and you're still under the alcohol content of many single stiff beers.
AlcoholContents.com | Quickly Search & Find Beer Alcohol Content
Similar issue for wines. A 5oz glass of a solid port (20+%) has more alcohol than three glasses of a light Claret (6%).
Alcohol Content of Wine

If you're doing multiple shots of hard liquors....well yer on yer own
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:15 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooch96 View Post
To Drink or Not to Drink? That Is the Question

Here's a study suggesting your lifespan maxes out with 4 drinks a day. A level that many consider abusive and even approaching alcoholism. Fortunately, I am not one of the many.

So imbibe to your content if it agrees with you and your constitution. Just avoid driving and heavy machinery (probably light machinery too).
"Imbibe to your content" . These authors state "FEWER (emphasis mine) than 4 drinks per day in men and fewer than 2 drinks per day in women appeared to confer benefit." Graphs in Figures 1 & 2 in the article show that lifespan maxes seem to be in the 1-2 drinks/day range, with 3 being associated with less benefit. And this review concentrated on cardiovascular effects, and benefits do seem to be real for modest consumption. OTOH- High alcohol consumption harms the heart and is associated with other diseases as well (liver disease, pancreatitis, cancer, immune system problems, alcoholism).
Alcohol's Effects on the Body | National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote