Healthy stuff that may hurt

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
An interesting read for health enthusiasts:

10 Supposedly Healthy Things That Are Actually Hurting You

In particular, #5 of 10... for vegans who advocate raw vegetables... a link to the part that discusses heating vegetables to unlock benefits. http://www.livescience.com/26278-risks-raw-vegan-diet.html

Parts about multiple vitamins and confusing advertising claims as natural... which means nothing according to the FDA.

Other info on extreme cleanliness, "juicing", alcohol use and the downside of energy bars are also covered.

May step on some toes.. :cool:

Last edited:
I will continue with my daily shower routine whether or not it is healthy. I have often heard that multi-vitamins are a waste of money but to appease DW I will continue that routine as well.

I thought box jumping was healthy exercise, until the box slipped out from under my feet and I fell backward and broke my wrist. Several FB friends took the opportunity to tease me about exercise not being so healthy, after all!

A.

Typical. The article says that it is much healthier to drink alcohol regularly, but at the same time advises that people like me who don't drink shouldn't start drinking. So, we aren't as healthy as we could be if we drank alcoholic drinks regularly, but we shouldn't start drinking to partake in these supposed health benefits.

Oh sure, makes TONS of sense to me. :rolleyes: I'll just muddle on with my scandalously unhealthy non-drinking habits.

I'll take some comfort in the fact that the Mayo Clinic says grape juice is just as good for the heart as wine. http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...xpert-answers/food-and-nutrition/faq-20058529

Last edited:
So, what else is new......everything in moderation. But, wow, I was shocked to see "moderate" drinking is 2 drinks PER DAY for men. Maybe I'm naive, but that sure sounds very high. Admittedly, I only have one drink a week, when DW and I go out on Saturday night, but I still think 2 per day is more than "moderate."

And, although I do try to eat reasonably healthy, I still partake in so-called unhealthy foods and would have a meltdown if I didn't have my nightly low-fat ice cream dessert.

But, wow, I was shocked to see "moderate" drinking is 2 drinks PER DAY for men. Maybe I'm naive, but that sure sounds very high. Admittedly, I only have one drink a week, when DW and I go out on Saturday night, but I still think 2 per day is more than "moderate."

Not really. Many men in my family would routinely have a glass of wine with lunch and one with dinner. Most lived a very long time.

I find the best course of action is to ignore studies that tell me what to eat or how to live.

A while back I saw some 'healthy' glutten free muffins in my local supermaket. Because they took out what some people regard as 'bad' - glutten, the product was then marketed as 'healthy'. One reading of the ingredients showed that the muffins were still loaded with sugar, preservatives and other stuff found in highly processed manufactured foods.

The opposite is also true. Add something 'healthy' to an unhealthy food and suddenly it becomes 'healthy'. Here I am thinking of the sugary bran muffins people would scarf down. Somehow an extra table spoon of bran flakes is supposed to neutralize the unhealthy aspects of all that sugar, the highly processed flour, and various chemicals to keep it fresh.

If you want to see a lot of bad science, just check out the field of human nutrition.

So, what else is new......everything in moderation. But, wow, I was shocked to see "moderate" drinking is 2 drinks PER DAY for men. Maybe I'm naive, but that sure sounds very high. Admittedly, I only have one drink a week, when DW and I go out on Saturday night, but I still think 2 per day is more than "moderate."

Depends on the size of your glass! Just like the definition of a portion for most food items. Is a soda 8oz? 12oz? 16oz? 24oz? A single glass of wine, with our glasses, is probably what they call two servings.

I thought box jumping was healthy exercise, until the box slipped out from under my feet and I fell backward and broke my wrist. Several FB friends took the opportunity to tease me about exercise not being so healthy, after all!

A.

I took a lot of abuse when I broke my ankle while walking to the gym one morning. :)

<snip>
The opposite is also true. Add something 'healthy' to an unhealthy food and suddenly it becomes 'healthy'. Here I am thinking of the sugary bran muffins people would scarf down. Somehow an extra table spoon of bran flakes is supposed to neutralize the unhealthy aspects of all that sugar, the highly processed flour, and various chemicals to keep it fresh.

I know- everything has been turned into a form of candy by adding way too much sugar and/or removing fiber: granola bars, yogurt, muffins, drinks made with coffee, "vitamin" and "energy" drinks, etc. I read labels carefully and mostly buy basic ingredients so we can prepare our own food.

As for dietary practices, I'm wary of "always" or "never". Last Sunday I had a piece of bakery cake at the church coffee hour. I topped it off with more frosting from the plate they'd used to scrape excess frosting off the cutting knife. I savored its greasy, sugary goodness with no guilt whatsoever, then backed away from the table. My diet is mostly lean meats and stir-fried fruits and vegetables (plus my nightly glass of wine), but moderation in all things.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday. While standing in line at Trader Joe's I saw a box of crackers with flax and chia seeds added to it. There's a lot of organic junk food at Whole Foods too.

Depends on the size of your glass! Just like the definition of a portion for most food items. Is a soda 8oz? 12oz? 16oz? 24oz? A single glass of wine, with our glasses, is probably what they call two servings.

Alcohol consumption is measured in standard units.
Leaving aside exceptional examples, the typical definition of "a drink" in this country is 18 ml of alcohol:
  • 12 oz of beer
  • 5 oz of wine
  • 1.5 oz of liquor
Standard drink - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Typical. The article says that it is much healthier to drink alcohol regularly, but at the same time advises that people like me who don't drink shouldn't start drinking. So, we aren't as healthy as we could be if we drank alcoholic drinks regularly, but we shouldn't start drinking to partake in these supposed health benefits.

Oh sure, makes TONS of sense to me. :rolleyes: I'll just muddle on with my scandalously unhealthy non-drinking habits. ...

I think it's just CYA. They don't want to be responsible if a former teetotaler takes up drinking for their health, and it turns out they have a genetic predilection towards alcoholism (or become alcoholic for any reason). That would not be good.

... But, wow, I was shocked to see "moderate" drinking is 2 drinks PER DAY for men. Maybe I'm naive, but that sure sounds very high. ...

Yes, I'd say you are naive. I generally stick to one drink Mon-Thursday, and allow myself two Fri-Sun, maybe three if I'm cooking.

I stick to one to limit calories, I would not consider two excessive. If you drink less than one/hour, you probably can metabolize the alcohol faster than you take it in, you won't be drunk. But it does tend to dehydrate, so drink water along with it.

-ERD50

Based on the list, I am living a healthy life. I do none of the things mentioned and have two (max) drinks per day. Oh, boy. I need to enter longer retirement "years" in Firecalc calculation.

Looks like I'm pretty good but have known for quite awhile that I should be drinking more!

Here is what Blue Cross Blue Shield has to say about it (for me). It sounds like not drinking at all may be the safest course.
Alcohol

The amount of alcohol you say you drink is within the recommended range and may even be heart healthy. But, as an occasional drinker, you should be aware that even moderate alcohol intake can increase your risks for some cancers. Particularly, women who have more than one drink a day have a heightened risk of breast cancer – and drinking even one drink a day consistently may increase this risk. Unless your doctor has approved it, it is best to avoid drinking alcohol with prescription medications. Alcohol can interfere or interact with many prescription and non-prescription medications, including aspirin and acetaminophen. Avoid even rare excesses and binges, which put you at risk for serious consequences to your health, relationships, and well-being. If you have issues with alcohol dependence or abuse, it is best to quit altogether.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...xpert-answers/food-and-nutrition/faq-20058529

Reactions: W2R

And, although I do try to eat reasonably healthy, I still partake in so-called unhealthy foods and would have a meltdown if I didn't have my nightly low-fat ice cream dessert.

It really depends on how big the drink is. If it's a standard portion, than not so high. If people are filling a wine glass full or sneaking in other than standard shots, then it is a lot.

Attachments

• only-one-beer.jpg
    only-one-beer.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Big-Beer.jpg
    Big-Beer.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 6
Yeah - still shocked that in Germany the "normal" beer serving was 1 liter!!!

That's almost 34 ounces, or close to three times the U.S. standard serving of 12 oz. for beer.

I think they were already the inventors of the "big gulp".

Last edited:
Yeah - still shocked that in Germany the "normal" beer serving was 1 liter!!!

Well, they only bring it to you a liter at a time. If you have enough of them, it eventually adds up to a serving.
:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom