Join Early Retirement Today

Healthy stuff that may hurt
Old 01-27-2015, 06:24 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Healthy stuff that may hurt

An interesting read for health enthusiasts:

10 Supposedly Healthy Things That Are Actually Hurting You

In particular, #5 of 10... for vegans who advocate raw vegetables... a link to the part that discusses heating vegetables to unlock benefits. http://www.livescience.com/26278-ris...egan-diet.html

Parts about multiple vitamins and confusing advertising claims as natural... which means nothing according to the FDA.

Other info on extreme cleanliness, "juicing", alcohol use and the downside of energy bars are also covered.

May step on some toes..
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2015, 07:29 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I will continue with my daily shower routine whether or not it is healthy. I have often heard that multi-vitamins are a waste of money but to appease DW I will continue that routine as well.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:31 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I only by supernatural products...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:50 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I thought box jumping was healthy exercise, until the box slipped out from under my feet and I fell backward and broke my wrist. Several FB friends took the opportunity to tease me about exercise not being so healthy, after all!

A.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:00 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Typical. The article says that it is much healthier to drink alcohol regularly, but at the same time advises that people like me who don't drink shouldn't start drinking. So, we aren't as healthy as we could be if we drank alcoholic drinks regularly, but we shouldn't start drinking to partake in these supposed health benefits.

Oh sure, makes TONS of sense to me. I'll just muddle on with my scandalously unhealthy non-drinking habits.

I'll take some comfort in the fact that the Mayo Clinic says grape juice is just as good for the heart as wine. http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...n/faq-20058529

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:00 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So, what else is new......everything in moderation. But, wow, I was shocked to see "moderate" drinking is 2 drinks PER DAY for men. Maybe I'm naive, but that sure sounds very high. Admittedly, I only have one drink a week, when DW and I go out on Saturday night, but I still think 2 per day is more than "moderate."

And, although I do try to eat reasonably healthy, I still partake in so-called unhealthy foods and would have a meltdown if I didn't have my nightly low-fat ice cream dessert.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:11 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Oh sure, makes TONS of sense to me. I'll just muddle on with my scandalously unhealthy non-drinking habits.

Thankfully, you don't live in some party city like.. Ummm.... New Orleans.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:14 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
But, wow, I was shocked to see "moderate" drinking is 2 drinks PER DAY for men. Maybe I'm naive, but that sure sounds very high. Admittedly, I only have one drink a week, when DW and I go out on Saturday night, but I still think 2 per day is more than "moderate."

Not really. Many men in my family would routinely have a glass of wine with lunch and one with dinner. Most lived a very long time.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:17 AM   #9

I find the best course of action is to ignore studies that tell me what to eat or how to live.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:25 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

A while back I saw some 'healthy' glutten free muffins in my local supermaket. Because they took out what some people regard as 'bad' - glutten, the product was then marketed as 'healthy'. One reading of the ingredients showed that the muffins were still loaded with sugar, preservatives and other stuff found in highly processed manufactured foods.

The opposite is also true. Add something 'healthy' to an unhealthy food and suddenly it becomes 'healthy'. Here I am thinking of the sugary bran muffins people would scarf down. Somehow an extra table spoon of bran flakes is supposed to neutralize the unhealthy aspects of all that sugar, the highly processed flour, and various chemicals to keep it fresh.

If you want to see a lot of bad science, just check out the field of human nutrition.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:47 AM   #11

Quote:
So, what else is new......everything in moderation. But, wow, I was shocked to see "moderate" drinking is 2 drinks PER DAY for men. Maybe I'm naive, but that sure sounds very high. Admittedly, I only have one drink a week, when DW and I go out on Saturday night, but I still think 2 per day is more than "moderate."
Depends on the size of your glass! Just like the definition of a portion for most food items. Is a soda 8oz? 12oz? 16oz? 24oz? A single glass of wine, with our glasses, is probably what they call two servings.
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I find the best course of action is to ignore studies that tell me what to eat or how to live.
Meet America’s oldest living vet. He smokes cigars, does yard work, drives and drinks whiskey. And he’s 108. - The Washington Post
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I thought box jumping was healthy exercise, until the box slipped out from under my feet and I fell backward and broke my wrist. Several FB friends took the opportunity to tease me about exercise not being so healthy, after all!

A.
I took a lot of abuse when I broke my ankle while walking to the gym one morning.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:51 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
<snip>
The opposite is also true. Add something 'healthy' to an unhealthy food and suddenly it becomes 'healthy'. Here I am thinking of the sugary bran muffins people would scarf down. Somehow an extra table spoon of bran flakes is supposed to neutralize the unhealthy aspects of all that sugar, the highly processed flour, and various chemicals to keep it fresh.
I know- everything has been turned into a form of candy by adding way too much sugar and/or removing fiber: granola bars, yogurt, muffins, drinks made with coffee, "vitamin" and "energy" drinks, etc. I read labels carefully and mostly buy basic ingredients so we can prepare our own food.

As for dietary practices, I'm wary of "always" or "never". Last Sunday I had a piece of bakery cake at the church coffee hour. I topped it off with more frosting from the plate they'd used to scrape excess frosting off the cutting knife. I savored its greasy, sugary goodness with no guilt whatsoever, then backed away from the table. My diet is mostly lean meats and stir-fried fruits and vegetables (plus my nightly glass of wine), but moderation in all things.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I was thinking the same thing yesterday. While standing in line at Trader Joe's I saw a box of crackers with flax and chia seeds added to it. There's a lot of organic junk food at Whole Foods too.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:53 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

And all at the same time...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkTinkerer View Post
Depends on the size of your glass! Just like the definition of a portion for most food items. Is a soda 8oz? 12oz? 16oz? 24oz? A single glass of wine, with our glasses, is probably what they call two servings.
Alcohol consumption is measured in standard units.
Leaving aside exceptional examples, the typical definition of "a drink" in this country is 18 ml of alcohol:
  • 12 oz of beer
  • 5 oz of wine
  • 1.5 oz of liquor
Standard drink - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:33 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Typical. The article says that it is much healthier to drink alcohol regularly, but at the same time advises that people like me who don't drink shouldn't start drinking. So, we aren't as healthy as we could be if we drank alcoholic drinks regularly, but we shouldn't start drinking to partake in these supposed health benefits.

Oh sure, makes TONS of sense to me. I'll just muddle on with my scandalously unhealthy non-drinking habits. ...
I think it's just CYA. They don't want to be responsible if a former teetotaler takes up drinking for their health, and it turns out they have a genetic predilection towards alcoholism (or become alcoholic for any reason). That would not be good.

Quote:
... But, wow, I was shocked to see "moderate" drinking is 2 drinks PER DAY for men. Maybe I'm naive, but that sure sounds very high. ...
Yes, I'd say you are naive. I generally stick to one drink Mon-Thursday, and allow myself two Fri-Sun, maybe three if I'm cooking.

I stick to one to limit calories, I would not consider two excessive. If you drink less than one/hour, you probably can metabolize the alcohol faster than you take it in, you won't be drunk. But it does tend to dehydrate, so drink water along with it.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:06 PM   #19

Based on the list, I am living a healthy life. I do none of the things mentioned and have two (max) drinks per day. Oh, boy. I need to enter longer retirement "years" in Firecalc calculation.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:38 PM   #20

Looks like I'm pretty good but have known for quite awhile that I should be drinking more!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote