Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-20-2014, 09:46 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another vote for Costco.

Make an appointment. Take your written test results. They may retest to confirm (free).

They have hearing aids that can be tuned to your specific issues and can be re-adjusted at no charge.

One of the choices is the size of the part behind the hear (small with frequent battery changes or larger with longer battery life).

Kindest regards.
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2014, 09:49 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
It could be worse.

I would be more interested in ordering that, than wearing a hearing aid. Losing my vision? My problem.... Losing my hearing? Your problem.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:10 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Losing my vision? My problem.... Losing my hearing? Your problem.....
A family member who taught Special Ed said she'd actually rather be blind because being deaf was so socially isolating. I can see that it's limited DH's life somewhat. There are some places we just can't go together (including DS' favorite hole-in-the-wall BBQ joint) because all he'd hear during the whole meal would be static.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:14 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
A family member who taught Special Ed said she'd actually rather be blind because being deaf was so socially isolating. I can see that it's limited DH's life somewhat. There are some places we just can't go together (including DS' favorite hole-in-the-wall BBQ joint) because all he'd hear during the whole meal would be static.

It is definitely an individual preference. I was in education my whole life too and my take is completely opposite!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:23 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I am more amazed at how many people seem not to care about protecting the hearing they do have. I have seen countless hunters heading out for a day of duck or dove hunting (where firing 25+ shotshells in an outing is common) without any hearing protection whatsoever. Every time you shoot a 12 gauge shotgun you are exposed to a ~150 decibel blast.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:33 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I am more amazed at how many people seem not to care about protecting the hearing they do have.
I agree. It's pretty bad when we can hear the bass in car sound systems when they drive past our house- and we're in the house with the windows closed. Same for the people using ear buds when I can hear bits of what they're listening to because it's so loud.

Wait till they find out hearing aids aren't just for old people.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:38 AM   #27

I'm very fortunate because throughout my Air Force career I religiously wore any hearing protection available. It paid off because my hearing is still nearly perfect and many of my service friends are wearing hearing aids.

Reminds me of my grandfather, who routinely turned off his hearing aid while in the house, because his wife was a constant chatterbox.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:46 PM   #28

It sounds like a hard sell to me. I'd grab the turkey and go to a doctor who isn't going to try to sell me anything. The part about the little hairs needing exercise sounds very suspicious, sort of like saying trying to see in dim light is bad for your eyes.

Especially when they're trying to sell you a product that costs $8k and a credible source (Costco) sells some for $2k that most people seem happy with.

Sounds like bull manure, chicken poop, and the like.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:10 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
...The test was partly because it was free, and a bonus of a free Turkey.

<snip>

Funniest part of the visit was when we were talking about price, and he rationalized the $8K cost by saying the hearing aids could last 20 years... and at that rate would only cost a dollar a day.
No, the funniest part is the free turkey. That just tickled me: Hearing aids and complimentary meat. What will those crazy medical professionals come up with next!
Old 11-20-2014, 03:17 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
What will those crazy medical professionals come up with next!
Hey, once they came out with FMT they hit my OMG limit.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Admittedly that strained my credibility meter too. I've read accounts of people suffering from that. After a while you are willing to try anything. And the weird thing is, it works!

Who'da thunk it?
Old 11-20-2014, 03:21 PM   #32

Quote:
Oh, yeah!
Quote:
Fecal transplantation can be performed via nasogastric tube...
Where do I sign up?
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:26 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Is a free turkey involved?
Old 11-20-2014, 03:29 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Is a free turkey involved?
No, and you have to pay for the stuffing...
Old 11-20-2014, 03:44 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
No, and you have to pay for the stuffing...
Oh, no, don't get me started
Old 11-20-2014, 04:32 PM   #36
Gone but not forgotten

Thank you all for the info... and advice... and the link to Don Heff's older thread.
We have decided to wait, and look around for a bit to check with Costco and maybe some other sources. The Test was for my DW... but the "doctor" decided to test me first. That's where the "severe" part started. I too have a degree of loss... like 10 percent in the higher ranges. He didn't start the sales pitch on this, but suggested I make a 6 month appointment to insure that I would be safe rather than sorry.

I never got around to the part of the test where DW asked about the "Free One Month Trial" that was in the "free turkey/free hearing test ad. The "doctor" said that would be fine, and brought us over to the accounting dept. It seems that the free trial means you first buy the aids... (purchase contract details and credit check) then, after fitting, one week later, start wearing your new hearing aids... Then... after a month, can exchange for a better pair, or cancel the contract.

You don't get away with that with my DW... I saw the fire in her eyes as she said "WE NEVER make a large purchase without talking it over... The salesman/doctor looked stricken, as he made an appointment for one month later. DW won the battle of wits.

Then... as were leaving, and he had turned to go back to his office... DW... again... "Hey...Where's my free turkey?" Through clenched teeth and with a beet red face... he sadly went back to give her the Walmart Gift card for $15... a gracious surrender for a beaten man.

I felt sudden compassion as I recalled my years in retail...

This too shall pass.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:16 PM   #37

Good advice above. No risk of putting off getting the hearing aids in terms of 'lack of exercise' deterioration. Their is a risk that as your hearing gets worse, those around one will get more frustrated and stop communicating. If you are doing well in that area then I would say what is the rush. Costco is excellent. I think I got out with a pair at 1800. Individually tuned and programmed with a remote and bluetooth capable - lol. Also, 2 year no questions asked replacement guarantee if lost or damaged and a 3 month money-back return period. I had about 40% loss in my right ear. Left not nearly so bad. They do suggest wearing a pair though I often wear only the right. Day to day I am fine but I got them for small group teaching where I find the students to be somewhat soft spoken. I stress to them that they need to speak up as I am the same population that they will be caring for and if their patients can't hear them, they can't really be expected to understand and comply with treatment suggests. I also point out to them that I don't really have any trouble when I am sitting down with colleagues or administrators. They all have 'big' voices!

Good work on getting the turkey!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:19 PM   #38

I started having 3 problems, hearing MsG, birds(bird watcher), and rattlesnakes. So I heard about a product a personal sound amplifier.

Personal Sound Amplifiers | Sound World Solutions

It looks like a Bluetooth phone receiver, and it can be that too. It has an app that lets me change like 10 different levels of pitch/sound all from a smartphone or tablet. Has 2 rechargeable batteries that last 8-9 hours each. I love it because I don't have to travel 2-3 hours to an audiologist to get adjusted. All for $250-300.

The product was developed for rural countries, where an audiologist is no where to be seen, but a smartphone may be in their back pocket.

Ms G is happy with it and when momma is happy.....................
Old 11-20-2014, 09:27 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Glad you've decided to wait. If you're having trouble hearing, you should go to an ENT or audiologist. Either can look into reasons for hearing loss, although nerve damage is a likely cause with age.

I have worn aids since my early 30's (for both conductive loss and nerve damage). I currently wear BTE (behind the ear) devices that have built in blue-tooth and telecoil, and multiple programs for different situations. These are vastly better than my original aids that were in the ear canal and didn't have different programs. They are nothing like normal hearing, though. I struggle in noisy environments -- I just can't filter like I could as a kid.

I can't imagine getting 20 years out of hearing aids. Mine have averaged about 4 years, and then I replace them due to the aids degrading (I'm very active, and sweat a lot, so I may be extra hard on them), as well as new technology that is better suited to my loss.

IMHO: If you have enough hearing loss that you need a device, only buy a device that is programmed to your specific hearing loss. I don't recommend the personal sound amplifier or other devices, unless the hearing loss is very mild. There is a world of difference in amplifying based on your actual hearing loss. Also, telecoil and built in blue tooth are both very valuable if you have a need to talk on the phone.

I think this person just was a pushy salesman. Hearing aids are really a racket. Just try comparative shopping, and see how unwilling folks are to tell you how much they charge for a device ("oh, sorry -- we can't tell you over the phone. You must come in so we can verify it's the correct device for you" etc). It's definitely a peeve of mine. But, offering a free turkey? Um...yeah, well, glad you were able to get the gift card.
chris66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:38 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
I never got around to the part of the test where DW asked about the "Free One Month Trial" that was in the "free turkey/free hearing test ad. The "doctor" said that would be fine, and brought us over to the accounting dept. It seems that the free trial means you first buy the aids... (purchase contract details and credit check) then, after fitting, one week later, start wearing your new hearing aids... Then... after a month, can exchange for a better pair, or cancel the contract.
That part actually isn't bad. My Dad had to go back a few times to get his hearing aids tuned just right. It would sure as heck motivate them to get your hearing aids working since you could just hand them back and get your money back. I'm hoping that few people would fall for the pitch that, "well, those hearing aids may not have been as sophisticated as you needed, but we have this Deluxe model.."