Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-11-2018, 10:06 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

At the very least buy a sounder for you tv. They work much better than the tv speakers.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2018, 10:52 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
For those of you with hearing aids, is this how you would describe your transition from acceptable hearing, to needing aids? Also, how did you do with your hearing aids? Are you happy? It seems to me that of the dozen or so folks I know who have them, only 1 or 2 find them an unqualified success.
Yes that is me, but I also have tinnitus. I have found that hearing in parties is much harder than a 1-on-1 conversation. And my hearing loss is mostly in higher frequencies, so hearing women is harder than hearing men.

I got hearing aids but they only improved things slightly. They did nothing to improve the problem of hearing in a crowded, noisy environment. And they did not help with hearing soft spoken people, or people who have accents or tend to mumble. I thought they would be good in movie theaters but they aren't, but maybe it is our local theater which has not great acoustics anyway.
TwoByFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:08 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I have the Phonak hearings aid system with the one ear aid that transfers the sound to the other ear. Sometimes it is annoying and I take it out. I did get another piece that I clip to my collar that is programable and works with an app on my phone. It really helps in restaurants as it cuts out background noise. It cost about $250 and I carry it in my purse to use when needed. Some male friends have the kind that they keep in their pockets that does the same thing.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:41 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by akidagain2018 View Post
Well, I hadn't previously heard of the relay from one dead ear to the good one. I understand how it might work and also be frustrating. Is there an echo of sorts?
Not really a echo. Think of it as two different "pitches" entering the same ear. One natural from the good ear and the transmitted sound that sounds like a transistor radio. It can get annoying. I do find the aids very helpful when riding as a passenger in a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akidagain2018 View Post
But I was thinking this must be an alternative to bone conduction. So, bone conduction is what I was thinking to suggest considering before I got to the end of your post. I remember it vaguely as being effective in areas similar to yours. If the ear drum or other inner functions of the ear are damaged, the bone conduction was always an option. You may have better quality with the relay but I'd test it out if it can be simulated.
Yes, there is a "test" device that you can wear to simulate the bone conduction device. My ENT fitted me with it and it worked quite well. More natural sound. Sadly, the appearance turned me off the idea. Frankly, a silly notion I need to get over.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:49 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarnstormer View Post
Is there a satisfactory tv system that will amplify voices? That my main complaint - too much background noise in tv shows and I do watch a lot of shows with uk and Australian actors.
Yes, I purchased a SONOS playbase soundbar. it is controlled with an app on your phone/tablet and you can modify the voices to make them more clear and to "stand out" more over the background noises in the show. It works quite well for now but I will likely be going to wireless headphones as my hearing declines further.

My dad used Sony wireless headphones after a industrial accident rendered him nearly deaf (even with in the ear canal hearing aids cranked to the max). He combines the aids AND the headphones all at once and he can hear the TV
Old 12-23-2018, 10:40 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Does anyone have a recommendation as to brand and style. ? I have a moderately severe loss and have worn hearing aids for 35 years. I still have trouble in noise, restaurants, family gatherings, theatre, mov its, any group really. I have ReSound LiNX 7. I am thinking of trying the new Phonak m aids premiums. Does anyone have any personal experience to share
rothlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 04:55 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My husband has hearing aids that blue tooth to his phone, a streamer on a lanyard to control volume and control the phone, it think they are Oticon. He loves them.

If you live in Kitsap County check out Peninsula Hearing in Poulsbo. The owner has a Doctor Of Audiology and has been hard of hearing all her life.

We moved to Portland, husband now has Kaiser Medicare Advantage. Oticon is available at Kaiser.