Heart problem - right bundle branch block

I was misinformed

Recycles dryer sheets
I have a diagnosis of a right bundle branch block in my heart. My doc said this is typically seen in folks after they have a heart attack, which I don’t think I have had. This diagnosis prompted lots of testing that shows no evidence of other cardiovascular disease (e.g., zero calcium score). My doc says developing RBBB without other CVD is unusual but that I “am not the only one like this”.

Apparently many people have a RBBB without significant symptoms and my doc’s current thinking seems to be that I may end up that way with time and exercise. Unfortunately I still have symptoms (light-headedness, near-fainting, fatigue) which have been getting better overall, but with some setbacks over the last several months.

I am asking any fellow ER-org-ERS if they have any experience, advice etc, to share.

Has your cardiologist ever seen any irregular heart rhythms on EKG's? Has he discussed using some kind of heart monitor to look for arrhythmia when you have the "light-headedness, near-fainting, fatigue"? Have you seen an electrophysiologist?

Bodies are like cars; sometimes you can't reproduce the symptoms when you want to.

Last edited:
I don't know how they are related, but I was diagnosed with an RBBB in 2014 (at the age of 53) prior to having a minor surgery. They said it didn't mean anything either and went ahead with the procedure; but in 2016 I had a near-fatal cardiac event with multiple 90-100% blockages.

For me, the RBBB turned out to be a precursor. If I could do it over again [and based on my family history] I would have pushed harder for an echocardiogram/dye test or other more visual exam. A simple stress test wasn't enough to discern the looming disaster.

With or without the family history - and especially since you continue to feel symptoms - it's probably best to see a cardiologist for a more thorough exam and a second opinion. It may not be a problem, but I don't think it's something to be taken lightly.

Have you seen a good cardiologist?

Thanks for all replies.

I should have explained that I do have a cardiologist on my case. I will see him soon (3 months after last visit) to allow him to evaluate my progress. I started this thread with the idea of getting suggestions/context to prepare me for this next appointment.

I don't know how they are related, but I was diagnosed with an RBBB in 2014 (at the age of 53) prior to having a minor surgery. They said it didn't mean anything either and went ahead with the procedure; but in 2016 I had a near-fatal cardiac event with multiple 90-100% blockages.

For me, the RBBB turned out to be a precursor. If I could do it over again [and based on my family history] I would have pushed harder for an echocardiogram/dye test or other more visual exam. A simple stress test wasn't enough to discern the looming disaster.

With or without the family history - and especially since you continue to feel symptoms - it's probably best to see a cardiologist for a more thorough exam and a second opinion. It may not be a problem, but I don't think it's something to be taken lightly.

Yes my cardiologist was most concerned about whether my RBBB indicated something else wrong and I had an echocardiogram and a CAT scan with contrast dye. All that seemed good, but I am now suspecting that my symptoms of the RBBB itself won’t go away by themselves.

Has your cardiologist ever seen any irregular heart rhythms on EKG's? Has he discussed using some kind of heart monitor to look for arrhythmia when you have the "light-headedness, near-fainting, fatigue"? Have you seen an electrophysiologist?

Bodies are like cars; sometimes you can't reproduce the symptoms when you want to.

Yes a heart monitor seems like a good idea to see what is going on through
my daily routine.

Thanks also for the suggestion of seeing an electrophysiologist.

Yes a heart monitor seems like a good idea to see what is going on through
my daily routine.

Thanks also for the suggestion of seeing an electrophysiologist.
There's a monitor now called a Zio patch that is only the size of a credit card and attaches to your chest using adhesive. Very easy to wear and you can shower with it. It will monitor for up to 14 days at which time you put it in their envelope and send it to them. You will have it attached in the cardiologist office. There's also a little button you can press if any event occurs like dizziness etc. This will time stamp that event on the recording.

Ask for this instead of a 24/48 hour holter with multiple leads etc.

I had a RBBB where the right ventricle was delayed for many years... no symptoms. I started having some odd light headed spells. It almost felt like a tension coming up my body, I would get light headed and if it lasted too long I'd black out. 9 seconds was just light headed. The first 5 times only one was when I standing, 4 sitting. None occurred with exercise or due to standing up. After the 5 I flew home (business trip) and went to the ER.

Cardiology missed it completely. While waiting for the neurologist to read my MRI I have a couple light headed spells and talked to nurse to check the EKG data (electronic). They found time periods where the top of the heart was running normally, but nothing on the bottom of the heart. 9 seconds is just light headed. If they don't see the missing electrical signals on the bottom of the heart, they will miss it.

Diagnosis - Paroxysmal AV Block (Class 3 complete heart block). The AV node intermittently would block the electrical signal. The pacemaker they installed fills in the electrical signals when the AV node blocks them. Initially this was rare. It did not take long for it to fill in 99% of the time.

My first 5 events happened over 5 days. I had no symptoms before that other than RBBB without symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom