Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-13-2013, 11:02 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm just over 60. I run outdoors, do interval running on the treadmill and weight training. The interval running is the most demanding and my HR typically maxes out in the low 170's. My resting heart rate is in the mid-40's.

I had some heart palpitations a few years ago which resulted in a trip to the emergency room and then to the cardiologist for for a stress test and electrocardiogram. The conclusion was that my heart is extremely healthy. My primary care doctor always harbored a bit of concern about my heart health due to some family history. Both he and I were very pleased with the test results.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I am amazed at how hard so many people here work out.

Ha
I hope you included yourself in that comment

Old 12-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Currently training for an ironman triathlon I usually work out about 3 hours a day swim / bike / run / strength (1 or two of these a day) My resting heart rate is around 50 and sits around 130 during my workouts... on rare occasions when I am really pushing it my heart rate goes up to around 150. I am 57 years old and weigh in at 155 (about 105 pounds less than I did a year and a half ago !). Isn't retirement great !
Old 12-14-2013, 10:40 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
However, I do think that your resting HR gives a pretty good indication of your overall fitness. Elite athletes have incredibly low resting HRs. I recall reading that Lance Armstrong's was around 32.

There is an interesting table HERE that relates your resting heart rate to various levels of fitness. According to that table, I'm in the "Excellent" range, which makes me feel good, but I don't know how much real validity that has.
I'm off the scale on that table so I'll take it. (58 years old and RHR in mid 40's)

I haven't been exercising too hard in recent weeks so this thread is making me feel guilty. I can see a New Year's Resolution in the making
Old 12-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz View Post
Currently training for an ironman triathlon
I am 57 years old and weigh in at 155
Big deal! We all know you're only three feet tall.

Seriously, that's wonderful.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #46

Huh. Are there others out there that exercise and completely ignore their heart rates?

That's me. I've been doing roughly three day a week workouts at the Y to "keep fit". A mix of treadmill/bike and some weights.

I'm not training for anything, so is there any real point to measuring and tracking my pulse?
Old 12-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post

I'm not training for anything, so is there any real point to measuring and tracking my pulse?
I can't see any reason for you. I still see people out for a walk/bike ride that I think could use one. Slow walking is better than nothing....but if they had a HR monitor on they may get the speed up to a decent level. But....when I was still teaching PE I used to have the whole class put monitors on and spend the first XX minutes of class doing something aerobic....I always had a few kids who could just walk briskly around the gym and keep the HR over 140 or so.....they were doing what I asked them to do but I just had to shake my head that they could get their HR that high with so little effort.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I doubt it. Just a bit of trivia for most of us.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Huh. Are there others out there that exercise and completely ignore their heart rates?
I have no idea what my maximum heart rate is - it has never been measured.
I have worked out to a pretty high level - a few decades and 200k+ cycling miles, but was more interested in my anaerobic/lactate threshold than specific HR targeting. They are related as theoretically there will be a spike in HR somewhere around the AT. I just went by feel - good enough for me as I was not competing (officially).
Old 12-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

That's me. I've been doing roughly three day a week workouts at the Y to "keep fit". A mix of treadmill/bike and some weights.

Yes, the only reason I have an idea of my heart rate is because they put those metal hand holds on the treadmills and elliptical machines - so I grab them every now and then out of curiosity, especially after reading one of these threads. It has no real significance to me or how I work out.

When I was administered a stress test three or four years ago I pushed MUCH harder than I ever do when I work out with no ill effect so I figure I'm fine to do my regular workout.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #51

I think you might have a clue as to the health of your heart based on the time it takes your heart to return to its resting rate after it gets up to a certain level, although that might be difficult to check in the gym.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I think you might have a clue as to the health of your heart based on the time it takes your heart to return to its resting rate after it gets up to a certain level, although that might be difficult to check in the gym.
A few weeks ago I was struggling with a painful shoulder and tried going to a an acupuncture doc recommended by a friend at the gym who had gone through similar issues. As part of the treatment he put me on a herbal treatment for inflammation. I went to the gym to an aerobic exercise class I like doing and I always wear a heart monitor during this class. During the warm up, jogging around the gym, I noticed by HR go straight up into the 150's, and when I started walking again it only came down into the 130's. All through the hour long class I had to reduce my workout dramatically to keep my HR below 160, and it never dropped quickly like I am used to.

I immediately stopped the pills and a few days later did the class again with no issues at all, and I pay a lot of attention in how quickly my HR comes down once I stop the activity.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #53

OK, seems like one of those measurements that is easy, so people do it.

Kinda like taking your temperature when you're sick. Rarely does it matter, but it's easy. I knew someone who measured it hourly when he had a sniffle...
Old 12-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #54

Quote:
Currently training for an ironman triathlon I usually work out about 3 hours a day swim / bike / run / strength (1 or two of these a day) My resting heart rate is around 50 and sits around 130 during my workouts... on rare occasions when I am really pushing it my heart rate goes up to around 150. I am 57 years old and weigh in at 155 (about 105 pounds less than I did a year and a half ago !). Isn't retirement great !
I found the book "Be Iron Fit" (by Don Fink) to be quite helpful.
Good luck on your IM journey!
Old 12-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #55
Dryer sheet wannabe

I like to get mine up past 160 @ 57yo. I asked my doc about heart rate and he said max possible is about 200 but that I would pass out before I hit it. He told me not to worry and that getting and holding it at a high rate is all good, but as the machines say - if you start feeling faint slow down.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Woww! (here's hoping you're not 7 feet tall, LOL)

Amethyst

Quote:
I am 57 years old and weigh in at 155 (about 105 pounds less than I did a year and a half ago !).
Old 12-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Huh. Are there others out there that exercise and completely ignore their heart rates? That's me. I've been doing roughly three day a week workouts at the Y to "keep fit". A mix of treadmill/bike and some weights. I'm not training for anything, so is there any real point to measuring and tracking my pulse?
I love doing it, and also using a little Fitbit thingie to record steps. My athletic adult son, a runner and otherwise very active, thinks all of this monitoring is hilarious.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #58

I think HR can be important during workouts. I started using a spinning bike for some of my workouts a few years ago. (I really enjoyed using it at the lake house as I would pull it out among the trees for a workout). Anyway, at first when I used the spinner, I noticed that although I sweat a lot during the workout my heart rate( as measured at the end of the workout) didn't get very high. I just wasn't peddling hard enough. With the HR monitor I can see my HR in real time and adjust the tension accordingly. This has resulted in much better workouts. Sure, I could have figured this out on my own but the monitor gave me that extra incentive to work harder and track my progress. Every little bit helps in this regard I think.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

There is an interesting table HERE that relates your resting heart rate to various levels of fitness. ......
The "resting HR = fitness" idea is very rough, even amongst elite endurance athletes. And some common medications can significantly affect resting HR, so such tables do not apply to those folks at all.

Agree with bjorn2bwild that individualized AT (anaerobic ("lactate") threshold) HR is better marker to gauge exercise intensity from than "max" HR estimates. My "serious" workouts are targeted to %ATHR, not % maxHR. But also need to consider other non-exertional factors which can significantly alter HR (like emotion, dehydration, overheating, pain, chronic fatigue, etc.). Overall I find that HR is a useful tool for guiding exercise but should not be a rigid yardstick or crutch for body awareness.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I hope you included yourself in that comment
I would like to, but recently at least I am regular, but not very intense.

I have no doubt that intensity is very important for sports fitness. However, I am not at all sure that this generalizes to metabolic health outcomes.

Maybe yes, maybe no.