Join Early Retirement Today
Old 12-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #61
Dryer sheet aficionado
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Huh. Are there others out there that exercise and completely ignore their heart rates?
I don't! I know I'm where I 'should be' in a workout because I'm sweaty and breathing somewhat hard. Even when I did a marathon, I just printed off a training schedule, put it on my fridge and just RAN - no timer or fancy watches. Ended up doing it sub 4 hours with negative split with no 'technical training' ... so if my workouts are half-assed because I don't analyze them, well, I think it's working out OK for me.

jowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #62
No heart rate measuring for me either. I just pick a hiking pace/incline or bike speed that pushes my heart rate up to where I think I'm getting a good workout.

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Just finished a good workout this AM. My max heart rate went to 153 BPM while the average over 45 minutes was 142. This is a little more than usual for me. I was wondering how high your heart rate goes and for how long? I am 63 years old.
I'm 54 and my HR during exercise varies depending on the workout and its goal. In general, the average never goes below mid-150's, and I frequently hit 170-175, with a few swipes at 180 on really tough days.

I don't worry about how high my HR goes during a workout because I figure I'll pass out before I die. My body sends all kinds of "please stop" signals when I hit the 170's, and it takes a lot of discipline to keep that pace for very long.

I use the HRM to keep track of how many calories I burn so I can compare one workout to another. I also use it to measure how quickly I can recover from a maxed out HR. My goal is to hit the 170+ range and bring it back down by 30 BPM within 1 minute. Currently I can lower it by 20 BPM easily, and sometimes more.

More importantly, and slightly more difficult to quantify, is how much work I can do inside of a given HR range. After a year of intense training, that has continually progressed in difficulty, I find that I have to work 2-3 times harder now than I did last year just to break a sweat and get my HR in the 150+ range. Most of the people I train with are fantastic athletes 25-30 years younger than me, and we usually burn roughly the same amount of calories in a session, but their average HR and max HR is always lower.

I'm no expert on this stuff, but I've learned a lot in the last year. How I use a HRM and what I do with the info has drastically changed in that time. Now it's all about pushing my body to make it respond with improved capacity, and the HRM helps me measure that.
There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is having lots to do and not doing it. - Andrew Jackson
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I would like to, but recently at least I am regular...
Which is really important at our age...

Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote