Join Early Retirement Today

Heartburn
Old 07-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Heartburn

I had heard of heartburn before but never experienced it. I started burning in my throat and chest the last few nights, especially once I laid down to go to sleep so since its 2am and I can't sleep I read up on it. Seems all those midnight pizzas have done me in. The tomato sauce then going to bed seems to be a big culprit. Any advice (other than stop eating pizzas at night) on how to get rid of it?

Should I go buy some tums or will it go away on its on?
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2013, 12:28 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm no Dr., or even a nurse, but Prilosec (Omeprizole) works for me. Tums and such don't last long.
padlin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:00 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Typically you would want to start with a H2 blocker like Pepcid or Zantac (or their respective generics). Instead of going right to the gold standard of Prilosec or Prevacid. The H2 blockers help reduce acid in he stomach also, just not as big a process as the ppi's (Prilosec/Prevacid). The blockers last about 8-12 hours and you can take them 30-60 min before suspected triggers.

Also watch the diet and avoid suspect foods, especially caffeine and chocolate which can loosen the esophageal muscle and cause some acid reflux ( where it comes up your throat). Last but not least don't eat right before bed and keep your head elevated higher than your stomach. If it is chronic see your MD and make sure it's not something worse that you could be masking with said medicines. Good luck!
Old 07-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Less acid, more alkaline foods work for us. Cabbage, broccoli, bananas and potatoes are our home remedies.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I have never had heartburn, so I am definitely a non-expert on this topic.

However, the Mayo Clinic website gives a lot of things you can do to help your heartburn. Among other home remedies, it says that if you happen to be overweight, then losing weight really helps in the long term. Also smaller meals, and several other good ideas.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
Typically you would want to start with a H2 blocker like Pepcid or Zantac (or their respective generics). Instead of going right to the gold standard of Prilosec or Prevacid.!
If Prilosec is the gold standard, Pepcid is silver, Tums may be bronze. I go for brass - baking soda! I have heartburn maybe twice a year and I just dissolve a teaspoon or so of baking soda in a glass of water, plug my nose and drink it down. In a half an hour or so everything is fine.
Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had acid reflux on and off starting about 7 years ago. As the years progressed it became more on than off. It got to the point where my doctor gave me a prescription for Omeprezole. The stuff worked well, but I had to take it much more frequently than I cared to.

Early this year I decided to go on a lower carb diet (not the more rigorous low carb of something like the Atkins plan). On unexpected result was an end to the acid reflux problem I was experiencing. I haven't taken a Omeprezole for at least four months. And, my waist line has dropped at least 3 inches.

What worked for me may not work for your. It's just my experience.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another data point on the weight-loss angle. If you have drifted up in weight (you haven't said) then losing the weight can help with heartburn. I know it has for me.

Regardless, it's worth seeing a doctor if it keeps up since it can turn into Barrett’s Disease which it serious.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, I sit here quite shamefaced.... I have indeed gained weight.... Since moving back to the USA I have gone from a size 8 or 10 to a 12 or even some 14's I sit around with nothing to do all day and then often order dinner delivered most nights. Most of those dinners are NOT healthy or low calorie... I move back south of the border in 3 weeks and I will start walking again and will be dropping pounds I am sure. Hopefully this will take care of my problem. I sure hope so because I can not buy any more new clothes and this heartburn thing sucks!
Old 07-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Until recently I almost never experienced heartburn, then I had a Schatzki ring removed. I'll trade taking heartburn meds for the ability to swallow any day of the week...
Old 07-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

By way of generally recommended practice which may or may not apply to the original poster...

The first thing to do is to call your primary physician now. Coronary artery disease and angina can cause your very symptoms. Hopefully and probably it is a false alarm but I would not assume that. New onset chest pain esp in an older male patient should be assumed coronary disease until ruled out

If you reported those symptoms to me at 2 am, I probably would have sent you to the ER to rule out angina/heart attack. Once that chore is done you can go about sorting out reflux, gall bladder and other noncardiac causes. Call your MD now, and let us know how it works out. Call 911 if those symptoms recur.

Please read my disclaimer below.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #12

You might have the start of acid reflux or GERD . Most people over 50 have a degree. Never eat acidic spices foods too close to laying down. It's healthier to stop eating 3 hours prior to bed. Incline your head 4-6 inches by propping under your mattress if it keeps happening.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

+1 Rich_by_the_Bay

It could be more serious than acid reflux - well worth talking to a Doc

I have acid reflux, and I do not like taking medicine unless I absolutely must. To mitigate my reflux I:

- don't eat after 7pm (bed is usually 10-1030)
- exercise - walking is great
- eat a mostly paleo diet

If I do these three things...or at least 2 of the 3, I don't need my medications

Hope this is helpful
haloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Hopefully this will take care of my problem. I sure hope so because I can not buy any more new clothes and this heartburn thing sucks!
Yup, weight loss will help with the heartburn. Weight loss will cure a host of issues (knee and joint pain to name another).

I was in your shoes, well actually size 12 pants, earlier this year. I had to get a health assessment to get a reduced rate on my health insurance with MegaCorp this year, and was told I was pre-diabetic. I did some research and was terrified when I found out how your overall health declines when one develops diabetes. Scared me to death, almost.

I've lost 15 lbs., with about 6 to go. I put on a pair of size 8 pants yesterday and almost cried for joy.

Today my Thai yoga instructor commented on my shrinking butt and asked me how I did it, as we've discussed how much I hate dieting. I saw this special on PBS months ago, and have been following this with very little pain or anguish on my part. I think I can stick with this until they put me in the nursing home. He also wrote a book (of course) which I highly recommend for the 2 day a week meal ideas.

Just thought I'd share, and yes, exercise is also a key component. Good luck to you! May the heartburn Gods be with you.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_by_the_Bay View Post
By way of generally recommended practice which may or may not apply to the original poster...

The first thing to do is to call your primary physician now. Coronary artery disease and angina can cause your very symptoms. Hopefully and probably it is a false alarm but I would not assume that. New onset chest pain esp in an older male patient should be assumed coronary disease until ruled out

If you reported those symptoms to me at 2 am, I probably would have sent you to the ER to rule out angina/heart attack. Once that chore is done you can go about sorting out reflux, gall bladder and other noncardiac causes. Call your MD now, and let us know how it works out. Call 911 if those symptoms recur.

Please read my disclaimer below.
I am a 45 year old female, so the heart attack, while possible, is probably not likely.

I am going to try to work on the diet first. I have managed to stay out of the doctors office for several years now and am going to try to make it to 50 before I visit one again!
Old 07-20-2013, 07:26 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
I am a 45 year old female, so the heart attack, while possible, is probably not likely.

I am going to try to work on the diet first. I have managed to stay out of the doctors office for several years now and am going to try to make it to 50 before I visit one again!
That helps a lot in terms of risk.

Not to belabor the point, but coronary pain is often overlooked in women be cause it is sometimes "atypical." Best wishes.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Rich, I do appreciate the advice and good wishes.

I should take better care of myself, and I know people such as myself make the most frustrating patients!
Old 07-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
Thanks Rich, I do appreciate the advice and good wishes.

I should take better care of myself, and I know people such as myself make the most frustrating patients!
Really, not so much. I always appreciated patients who were well-informed.

A few of my patients commented from time to time that they knew I'd say something if their decisions were dangerously out of bounds, but that happened infrequently.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Until recently I almost never experienced heartburn, then I had a Schatzki ring removed. I'll trade taking heartburn meds for the ability to swallow any day of the week...
I thought this might be inside humor until I read the Wiki description. Then I had a Jack Parr moment, I think I have this.

Edit -Of course I meant Jack Paar, I guess I should check the Wiki on dyslexia .
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
I thought this might be inside humor until I read the Wiki description.
+1

When the gastro doc introduced me to the term I initially thought he was referring to one of the characters from Happy Days...