Join Early Retirement Today

heel spur
Old 08-21-2007, 08:47 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

heel spur

Been having a problem with pain in my heel. My Doctor took an Xray and said I have a heel spur. Anyone ever had this and what are the pros and cons of having it operated on. Does physical therapy help or just a waste of time.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2007, 09:34 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Been having a problem with pain in my heel. My Doctor took an Xray and said I have a heel spur. Anyone ever had this and what are the pros and cons of having it operated on. Does physical therapy help or just a waste of time.
Lots of people have heel "spurs" (like a boney callus) and have no symptoms from it.

Google "plantar fasciitis" if your first step of the day getting out of bed is the worst.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:43 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was diagnosed with plantar fascitis (and heel spurs)about 3 months ago. So I wore splints to bed each night and wore sturdy shoes with padded heels.

I still had pain in one heel, so the doc did an ultrasound and gave me a shot (to the heel). That helped quite a bit. I still have some pain, but if I wear the proper shoes, the pain is minimal. No surgery yet.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:41 PM   #4

Thanks for the help guys, I'll have to do some reading.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:14 PM   #5

Some podiatrists will tape your foot. It helps a lot, pulling up at the arch. But it's very inconvenient when showering. Instead, I found these -

Arch Sleeves :: Arch Pain Relief & Plantar Fasciitis Prevention :: FootSmart

The whole site has good products for all kinds of foot problems. FootSmart :: Shoes, Socks, Slippers, Support Hose, Foot Care, Orthopedic & Comfort Products

I am an usher at an orchestra venue and I needed dress shoes that would be comfortable for a lot of walking and long stretches of time standing. I found a good selection and bought a pair reduced for clearance.
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:11 AM   #6

Thanks, Sue.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:16 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I also had plantar fascitis back in 1993 when I was training to run a marathon. The doctor gave me a shot of cortisone to give me immediate relief so I could keep on running, then fitted me with custom orthodics (inserts for my shoes). They were about $400 originally, if I remember correctly. I have worn the orthodics to this day, though I have had them recovered 3 or 4 times over the years. I start to get a bit of pain occasionally if I neglect to wear them (like in the summer when I insist on wearing sandals) but if I wear them regularly, I have no problem whatsoever.

DH had some heel pain, and bought some off-the-shelf Dr. Scholl orthodics, which I think specifically said they are for heel pain. (I just Googled and found "Dr. Scholl's heel pain relief orthodics".) They helped DH a lot; he no longer complains about the pain. Good, supportive shoes are also really helpful, but it depends on how serious your problem is. I think my podiatrist said it's really only necessary to have surgery in a small percentage of cases.

Hope that helps!
CJ
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:19 PM   #8

Thanks, CJ.

Seems you can find out anything on this forum.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:28 PM   #9

Plantar Fasciitis 12 years ago. Months taking Ibuprofen, months taking Naproxen finally cleared up. I've worn arch supports ever since without reoccurence. Only gotten older (and a little heavier) since then. Same hours on my feet. I know several people who have had successful surgery but that would be my absolutely last resort. It took me 6 months to recover it would have to be a lot longer than that to get me to consider anything beyond drugs, therapy and/or orthotics.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:44 PM   #10

Had it several years ago extremely painful and was to the point of not being able to drive the car. Doc wanted to operate after the second visit. No shots given. Went to another Doc (Navy type) and he had this sheet of exercises for the foot. Said to try this and get yourself some "good" shoes, one pair for outside and one for inside the house. Did the exercises for about a week and bought some SAS shoes. Pain went away and has been gone ever since. Lost the sheet of exercises but they were pretty simple and should be available from the internet or (Rich?).
Old 08-22-2007, 08:22 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

Plantar Fasciitis Exercises: ...
520 x 693 - 41k - gif
www.med.umich.edu
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:45 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Lots of people have heel "spurs" (like a boney callus) and have no symptoms from it.

Google "plantar fasciitis" if your first step of the day getting out of bed is the worst.
I am sure you will be horrified with this... but my sister (the nurse) had the bony callus kind... she took a hammer to her foot to get rid of them... OUCH..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:55 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I am sure you will be horrified with this... but my sister (the nurse) had the bony callus kind... she took a hammer to her foot to get rid of them... OUCH..

Hammer toe?

How is she with a bedpan?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:26 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post

Hammer toe?

How is she with a bedpan?

She said she beat it until it was in pieces and the body absorbed it...

I would think not good with bedpans... she was a deliver nurse for 20+ years... now back in the operating room..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:25 AM   #15

I had plantar fascitis for a year or more. I first tried to reduce the symptoms with generic arch supports (spenco's) and found them very uncomfortable but they did seem to improve the situation. I then purchased some arch crafters custom supports for about $100 and after a few months the symptoms had completely vanished. I now hesitate to walk more than about 20 feet (the distance to find my shoes) without arch supports for fear of doing damage to my feet. With arch supports I routinely walk 6 to 8 miles with no pain.