Join Early Retirement Today
Old 05-02-2008, 11:14 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by haha View Post
LOL, I never knew a groin pull could be such a fertile field for jokes.

Anyway, it still hurts like hell. Next week I am going to see my MD, who will give me a referral to a Sports Medicine clinic to see a PT who is supposedly trained and experienced inn this area.

I will also look into this DO angle, thanks.

Hope you get some relief soon, seriously........

Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2008, 11:31 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...
Maybe one of these MD's, DO's, PT's or other two letter acronyms can also help with your fields fertility.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:36 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I play indoor soccer once per week and if I take 2-3 weeks off or do not stretch properly, my groin is usually tweaked for around 2 days to 2 weeks afterwards.

Here is what I do:

1) I try to warm up for about 15-25 minutes prior to physical activity. This warm up will be
a) movement and changing directions
b) stretching
c) more movement

2) I then try to do a short stretching period while drinking a beer after the game.

If my muscle is tweaked, I will make sure to keep moving it during the day- take steps at work, mow the lawn or something.

I coach soccer too, and more often than not my muscle pulls come when I am not coaching and moving on a field with the players I coach (so I see more pulls when the only activity I get all week is when I play).

Most NFL players work out on Mondays- the day AFTER their game and take Tuesday off. The reason for this is because they need to move the muscles which are sore to maintain flexibility.

In sports training I receive for coaching, we talk about 2 things quite often. 1 is dynamic stretching. That means using activity to stretch instead of doing static muscle activities. I do this by moving prior to my static stretching activities and moving after my static stretching. The other issue is microtears. More often than not a muscle tear is when a micro tear becomes bigger. Microtears form after physical activity. This is why a cool down after the activity is important. This is why NFL players work out the day after their games- to work out the micro tear.

I am NOT a PT and have NO experience in sports medicine. I do coach soccer 6 days a week and get paid to do it, and I also play 1 day per week in addition to that. I am 35 yo and maybe my lack of injuries has more to do with my relative youth than it does because of what is taught in the coaching classes.

I did not know a hernia could cause a groin pull as others have mentioned.
I did not know back problems could also cause a groin pull (I have a bad back).
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak. One person's stupidity is another person's job security.
jIMOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:29 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
HaHa - if the self-treatment doesn't work, I second the recommendation to see a good physical therapist (of course, I'm a bit biased!). You likely have a muscle imbalance in either flexibility or strength (or most likely both) and specific exercises may prove helpful. A therapist would be able to do a thorough evaluation. Just make sure you find a good one (someone who has additional training in manual therapy would likely be your best bet).
I finally got a referral to a PT clinic and have been going for 2 weeks. Over a year ago Nords observed that my problem could be back or something other than my hip per se.

Well, this is also what the PT thinks, that it is in fact a lack of flexibility in my lumbar spine loading up my S/A joints and causing me to compensate with hip, etc. He found some very specific weakness in small movements that correspond to L5 myotome on the left.

The stretches are kind of painful; and I have some trouble recognizing when my multifidus is activated as part of the core development. Overall it is interesting, The PT and his exercise assistants seem very skilled and I am quite hopeful.

The rest part is very hard. Most of my social life that I depend on pretty strongly is dancers. This has been the case for over 10 years. This afternoon I went to a birthday party for a woman dancer who just turned 62. The party was a dance. Other than me, she is probably the oldest person around much. Many people were talking about their injuries, their PTs, their arthroscopic surgeries, and in a couple cases about pending joint replacement. (Talking out on the sidewalk, away from the music!)

I took a bus over, and caught a ride back with a woman who lives in my neighborhood. She is sidelined with a wrecked knee. She can't dance, she is kind of hesitant to have the recommended joint replacement, and she is lonesome. As she pointed out, all the communication between dancers is touch and movement and facial expression since the music is so loud that you can't hear speech.

It has always been psychologically important to me to be able to tear it up, and I hope I can regain full function. Today when I got home I did my therapy exercises, stretched, then iced, and I feel pretty good.

But I can also see the good sense in developing some less demanding hobbies that also provide social outlets. On the other hand, dancers are very physically warm and affectionate-it's kind of addictive and would be hard to walk away from.

haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:48 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...
Glad you are feeling a little better . It is hard as we age to move into less physical hobbies especially since you love dance so much . I find I can exercise a lot as long as it's in the water . You do not get the wear and tear on your joints and to me water is peaceful .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:20 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Do the horizontal bop...

Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote